Clutch cross shaft wuery

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, just looking at my clutch shaft mechanism. The end of it closest to the innr wing on the drivers side has a threaded stud exiting it with a nut on it.
the stud rests in a bracket, it is sitting at a funny angle, the nut is not tight , the stud feels like it could be rubber mounted. Is it normal to be able to lift the shaft out of its bracket? All feels a bit too flimsy, wondering if i should tighten the nut so the shaft is held more firmly in the bracket. Wondering if this could be some of the rattles i am experiencing. Tia๐Ÿ‘

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The stud is actually a ball joint. Thereโ€™s one each end that are fixed. One to the chassis one to the engine. The shaft pivots on them.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The stud is actually a ball joint. Thereโ€™s one each end that are fixed. One to the chassis one to the engine. The shaft pivots on them.
Thanks oneball, should i tighten the nut so it is a bit tighter in the bracket ? As at the moment i can just lift the shaft up and down , or is that the norm ? Thank you ๐Ÿ‘

Corvette

Well-known user
You should have a small sliver washer type affair with a bent tail that slots into the horizontal slit in the frame bracket. This stops the ball from lifting up From frame bracket. If you search for a z bar clutch parts you will see it on a schematic diagram. A5475 lock.

CA05AFE1-8ABB-4875-AB79-B4FC6AB10D9E.jpeg

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
You should have a small sliver washer type affair with a bent tail that slots into the horizontal slit in the frame bracket. This stops the ball from lifting up From frame bracket. If you search for a z bar clutch parts you will see it on a schematic diagram. A5475 lock.

View attachment 9402
Ah ! Yes I thought it a bit under engineered as was hanging off and sloppy. Have tightened it up but the lock is missing , will get one ordered up. Great help , thank you both

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Iโ€™ll order one too!
Cant believe my nut was almost on the last thread. Even without the stop thing it is way better, i used to have to mash my foot into the carpet to get reverse. Was thinking i needed to adjust clucth to get more throw . . Still big shifter rattle and vibration , comes in at 2500rpm. , more investigation needed . ๐Ÿ‘

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Well I never realised I was missing that part. Presume the small tabs fold onto the nut ....which must be really easy to do in that awkward area.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Well I never realised I was missing that part. Presume the small tabs fold onto the nut ....which must be really easy to do in that awkward area.
corvette explained it to me and sent a schematic , the hold down tab locates in to a slot on the bracket and makes perfect sense now, but just looked mickey mouse before. Must have had some lost motion there as I no longer have to push the pedal through the carpet to get reverse ๐Ÿคฃ

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
corvette explained it to me and sent a schematic , the hold down tab locates in to a slot on the bracket and makes perfect sense now, but just looked mickey mouse before. Must have had some lost motion there as I no longer have to push the pedal through the carpet to get reverse ๐Ÿคฃ
There's experience - I think he sensed it might be missing! I've been fortunate it's never come loose despite missing the lock, I might run the risk a while longer!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The surprising thing is that it took just a few mins on the phone to Scott at CK and its on its way. Youโ€™d expect service parts such as an oil or air filter to be maybe stocked and on the shelf but that is a pretty random part not only to have but to know where to find it too, Great service ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

Roscobbc

The surprising thing is that it took just a few mins on the phone to Scott at CK and its on its way. Youโ€™d expect service parts such as an oil or air filter to be maybe stocked and on the shelf but that is a pretty random part not only to have but to know where to find it too, Great service ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜
Its not a difficult job to remove and re-install.........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yeah , never been let down by Scott and have purchased quite a few bits over the 4 years . Even a brand new diff from the USA via CK delivered direct to me didn`t take long to arrive and made it economically viable not to mess about ordering assorted internals and rebuilding the original one . (y)

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
What that man don't stock ain't worth having. :)

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member

View attachment 9402
Hi again I tightened the nut on the end and bent the tabs to lock it , that has restored the โ€œlost motion โ€œ in the clutch pedal mechanism , the only thing I notice now is sometimes at idle in neutral i can hear a little knocking vibration that disapears if i lightly press the clutch pedal, can i grease the mechanism on the cross shaft anywhere if that would help? Anyone else have this vibration? TiA๐Ÿ‘