Welcome to the new CCCUK website!
Our old website is still available but no longer open for new posts. Click here to visit it. Click here for more information.
If you're not already a member of the CCCUK, join now!

ColoUr me confused.


Well-known user
Citizens of Canada are referred to as Canadians. (Canucks)
Citizens of the United States of America are referred to as Americans. (Yanks)
What are citizens of the United Kingdom referred to? UKers? British? Would not the term British leave out those born in Northern Ireland?

I read this explanation online, but it left me more confused than ever. LOL..

"Their citizenship is British, but their nationality is English, Welsh, or Scottish. Most people refer to themselves by nationality, and would prefer others do likewise.

Northern Ireland is more complicated because, even though it is part of the United Kingdom, Ireland extends citizenship to residents of Northern Ireland too, meaning people can have Irish citizenship, British citizenship, or both. How people refer to themselves in Northern Ireland gets pretty complicated too but, in general, Unionists (people who want Northern Ireland to remain part of the UK) refer to themselves as British, while Nationalists (those who want Northern Ireland to unify with the rest of Ireland) refer to themselves as Irish. It is all made even more complicated by the fact that referring to anyone from Northern Ireland as "Irish" is technically correct in all cases too, since, as well as being a description of both citizenship and nationality, "Irish" also correctly refers to anyone from the ISLAND of Ireland (meaning anyone from either Ireland (the country) or Northern Ireland)."

Help a guy out here. smiley-crazy.gif