Correct GM spec engine oil for a 2007 C6, 6litre

Woodsy99

CCCUK Member
I’m having trouble finding the correct spec 5w30 fully synthetic engine oil which meets the GM4718M spec stated in the handbook.
The engine is low mileage @ 16K and I only expect to cover 3>4k miles annually with a yearly oil change
Any advice appreciated
Thanks, Nick

Woodsy99

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the reply Stephen, but it doesn’t meet the GM4718M spec in the handbook. I understand that Mobil 1 5w30 was the oil originally used in the C6’s by the factory but believe its formulation has changed in the 17 years since the car was built and so doesn’t meet GM4718M spec
There are several other GM dexos 2 spec oils available but none of these meets the original GM4718M spec - maybe a GM dexos1 or something different does?
Nick
2007 C6 Indy 500 official factory pace car replica

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
I buy my 5W30 Mobil1 from Keith Beschi at Eurovettes. It comes in a carton of 6 x quart bottles, which is the exact amount we need for our LS2s.
He will also supply the correct AC-Delco oil filter if you need one.
J.C. (1911)
P.S. The Mobil 1 is 'NASCAR' approved; if it's good enough for the good ol' boys, it's good 'nuff for me.

Woodsy99

CCCUK Member
Thanks oneball - the Red Line would seem to fit the bill though the spec doesn’t say it meets the GM4718M spec, but it is extremely expensive at GBP 68.95 for just 3.78 litres.
I’ll only be covering circa 4K miles p.a. and changing the oil annually so hopefully there will be an alternative good quality oil at a more reasonable price?

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Sorry Stephen,just saw your post, DOH! Opie oils list some with that spec, here's one, there are others:

Rich

Administrator
I’m having trouble finding the correct spec 5w30 fully synthetic engine oil which meets the GM4718M spec stated in the handbook.
The engine is low mileage @ 16K and I only expect to cover 3>4k miles annually with a yearly oil change
Any advice appreciated
Thanks, Nick
If you access the facebook page of "Camaro 6th Generation UK" there is a guy there (Peter John) who imports the US Spec Mobil 1, if that's your preference. The Mobil 1 sold in the UK never met GM spec. A while ago, GM started recommending Dexos 2 in Europe (Dexos 1 in the US). I have just gone through the same process and settled on official GM Dexos 2 from my local Vauxhall dealer. My Camaro has the same engine as the C7, and I used Dexos 2 in my C6s but they were LS3s and I'm not sure about LS2s but I guess the requirements are the same and they all need 5w30.

Last edited:

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Strongly suggest you go to Anglo American Oil [Home | Anglo American Oil Company] and read about the Driven range of Oils from Joe Gibbs Racing which I covered in Vette News a few editions ago. I now use the LS30 product which as the name implies is formulated for LS engines.It only has a life expectancy of 8000 miles but is all about wear protection. All current mainstream oils have to meet so many requirements that engine wear becomes only one rather than THE one..... The Mobil 1 made when your car was built is not the Mobil 1 now as you say. Anyway, take a look at the wear factors etc and see what you think. Oh, by quoting CCCUK15, you can get 15% off as a Club member. Cheers Mark

C6NL

CCCUK Member
dexos1™ is GM‟s new global engine oil specification for gasoline engines which will replace
GM 4718M and GM 6049M. Although it is being specified for all GM vehicles starting with
the 2011 model year, it is also an excellent choice for previous model year vehicles.