Correct oil pressure

Steamoilking

CCCUK Member
Hi advice please. Whars the ideal oil pressure 5 ltr variant? On tickover mines roughly reading 5 on a run at 50mph it reads 35 is this ok? The gauge and line are both brand new if that helps.
Many thanks

kentvette

CCCUK Member
In the past I've been told that, as a general rule, look for 10 psi per 1000rpm, with a max at about 40psi. So I'd be looking for 10 at idle and cruising at 50-60 mph, I'd be hoping for something getting towards 40psi. If we're doing 70mph on the autoroute, which would be about 3000rpm, I usually see a bit over 40psi. Mine's a '78, 350 L48, and by then we had electronic oil pressure senders, if that makes a difference.

Steamoilking

CCCUK Member
In the past I've been told that, as a general rule, look for 10 psi per 1000rpm, with a max at about 40psi. So I'd be looking for 10 at idle and cruising at 50-60 mph, I'd be hoping for something getting towards 40psi. If we're doing 70mph on the autoroute, which would be about 3000rpm, I usually see a bit over 40psi. Mine's a '78, 350 L48, and by then we had electronic oil pressure senders, if that makes a difference.
Excellent thanks for the info, might have seen an obvious question but having spent the kids inheritance and more i dont want to bugger it up! Thanks keep well