Corvette vs Mustang

HJG

Well-known user
Wow. I recently saw a white on red convertible with the emblem Sally on the back which was very cool. That green I believe is called gunmetal green is the same as the Bullitt fastback I think.
Bullitt Mustang is 'Highland Green'. It's amazing how much more 'green' the car looks on modern televisions. Looks almost black in old footage.
You'll find some of the best (and most expensive) Mustangs here Muscle Car | Classic Cars For Sale | Muscle Car UK

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Wow, just had a look on the muscle car website, eye watering prices. My old 1970 Shelby GT500 cost my dad £650 in 1976. Beautiful car.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Wow. I recently saw a white on red convertible with the emblem Sally on the back which was very cool. That green I believe is called gunmetal green is the same as the Bullitt fastback I think.

Wrong ! The Bullitt Mustang in the movie was Highland Green . Never heard of a Gunmetal Green , only Gunmetal Grey .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
James sounds like a youngster compared to many of us oldies, and as such will possibly make mistakes regarding these old cars that we seem to love. He has plenty of enthusiasm for them tho which is great.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
In those days it was just an old mustang, I would have preferred a Mach 1 ( in those days it was the name “Mach 1” ) he bought it for me to stop me getting a Kawasaki KH250. Kept it a year or so. I must say it drank fuel like a space ship. Even in those days of £1 per gallon, it made a 17 year old drivers eyes water.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It’s hard to believe looking back how inexpensive old yanks were back in the 1970’s and 80’s. once they were about 4/5 years old they were worth hardly anything. The one exception was the Corvette. Always the most expensive yank year for year. The full size cars dropped like stones price wise. Lots of flash for a little cash. Chrysler corp cars were the worst. We had three Plymouth superbirds in/around crouch end in the late 70’s. their owners drove them every day. They were worthless. How times have changed.

Roscobbc

Paid £2000 for my Light Metallic Pewter '71 Mach 1 429 SCJ Mustang in 1983 - FoMoCo only made approx 500 of these. Sold it (with significant difficulty) eventually for £7000 in 1991. Could have bought it back a couple of years ago for £10k'ish needing total restoration.........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
In those days it was just an old mustang, I would have preferred a Mach 1 ( in those days it was the name “Mach 1” ) he bought it for me to stop me getting a Kawasaki KH250. Kept it a year or so. I must say it drank fuel like a space ship. Even in those days of £1 per gallon, it made a 17 year old drivers eyes water.
A Shelby GT 500 at age 17 ???? Somebody was a very lucky boy and must have earned a damned sight more than I did at 17 to run a car like that :eek:

antijam

CCCUK Member
.....Even in those days of £1 per gallon, it made a 17 year old drivers eyes water.......
Some things never change. When I started driving fuel was 4 gallons (and 'shots' - remember those?) for £1. We wondered how anyone could afford that.... ;)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Some things never change. When I started driving fuel was 4 gallons (and 'shots' - remember those?) for £1. We wondered how anyone could afford that.... ;)
Shots of Redex from the iconic trigger operated conical can that usually sat on top of one of the pumps . Pure nostalgia !! My dad insisted on it in his 1954 split screen Morris Minor that I learned to drive in . You learned mechanical empathy driving cars of that era . :giggle:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
When I was 17 I had an Imp that held 6 Gallons, if I had £3.00 in my pocket for a night out I was good to go - £1.00 bought me 3 gallons so I could go anywhere and with the other £2.00 I could buy a Girl drinks all night long - Things have not changed much - £90.00 plus to fill a Driver and £14.00 or so for 2 drinks

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
When I was 17 and in the first year of an engineering apprenticeship my wages were £3, 17shillings and 6 pence a week . I gave my mum 15 shillings board and the rest kept in beer and fags until next payday . A pint of best bitter was 1 shilling and 9 pence . (y) Happy days !!
I didn`t get my first car until I was 20 which was a 1967 HB Viva . In those intervening years I calculated that £ `s per gallon my weekly beer consumption made me more expensive to run than a Rolls Royce ! :LOL:

antijam

CCCUK Member
Shots of Redex from the iconic trigger operated conical can that usually sat on top of one of the pumps . Pure nostalgia !! My dad insisted on it in his 1954 split screen Morris Minor that I learned to drive in . You learned mechanical empathy driving cars of that era . :giggle:
You can still buy Redex.....

1-P1370170-001.JPG

I don't know if it's still the original formula, but tip it down your carb and it still produces satisfyingly dense clouds of white smoke from the exhaust...:)(y)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I used to pour it down the twin carbs on my Triumph Dolomite Sprint and take it for a blast and smoke out the neighbourhood . It was like a smoke screen from a battle ship ! :LOL:

Roscobbc

Apprentice salary at age 16 was 30 shillings - (£1.50p) - I still managed to save and buy my first scooter (Vespa 125cc) 10 months later, followed in another 6 months or so by a GS150. Never seemed to bother about the cost of fuel then. A couple of year later and aged about 19, now with a full driving license and a few cars under my belt I bought a 10 year old 3.8 Mark 9 Jag (£35) that needed a bit of re-commissioning. The journey to work was only about 3 to 4 miles. Allow a couple of miles at lunchtime to go out with the lads and get some rolls, chips etc and one would think that a couple of gallons would last two or three days.........no, it seemed barely sufficient to get me from home to work and back. A gallon was (as I remember) 5 shillings and 6 old pence (27.5p in todays decimal tender). My first introduction to cars with sub 10mpg fuel economy....

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
By `eck lad , those were`t days ! Old Jags were throw away`s back then , not like now . I well remember going to a local scrap yard with my mates to take the leather front seats and rear bench seat out of a Mk 2 Jaguar to fit into an old Commer 15cwt van we had bought between us to go travelling through Europe in . ✌️