Corvette vs Mustang

Roscobbc

I well remember going to a local scrap yard with my mates to take the leather front seats and rear bench seat out of a Mk 2 Jaguar to fit into an old Commer 15cwt van we had bought between us to go travelling through Europe in . ✌️
Ha! - did the same thing a couple of years later with a Mark 3 Zephyr Six. Put 7" wide 'banded' steel steel wheels on it and a Raymond Mays 12 port ally head and carbs - the car was so rusty that the seat mountings on the rear of the front bench seat fell through the floorpan.......eventually sourced a pair of leather front seats out of a Mark 2 Jag, fabricated some seat brackets that fixed to 'good' metal on the floor pan. Car was 'only' 10 years old and totally 'rusted-out'........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
About like my HB Viva , Roscobb . That was when Vauxhall`s had a reputation for decomposing before your very eyes :LOL: The Viva had so much tin worm that one day I lifted the bonnet and the hinges collapsed straight through the inner wings :eek: A that point I knew it had to go to the knackers yard !

Nick B

CCCUK Member
All these 'old timers' (me included 🙄) memories on here makes me wonder what the average age of a club member is?

TimP

CCCUK Member
I think the Bullitt car was Highland Green but I could be wrong. The 390GT Mustang Fastback is one of my all time favourites. I have the Bullitt film on DVD somewhere - a good film with some great cars and some terrific driving.

Roscobbc

I think the Bullitt car was Highland Green but I could be wrong. The 390GT Mustang Fastback is one of my all time favourites. I have the Bullitt film on DVD somewhere - a good film with some great cars and some terrific driving.
The Bullitt Mustang must have been the first car to have a 6 or 7 speed manual gearbox..........listen how many times it changes gear :geek:

antijam

CCCUK Member
The Bullitt Mustang must have been the first car to have a 6 or 7 speed manual gearbox..........listen how many times it changes gear :geek:
...and every change - up or down - sounds like he's double de-clutching. Apparently the engine sounds were dubbed from a GT40 though, so perhaps the sound is just dramatic license....:unsure:;)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep

As an impressionable youth when the movie was first released , I couldn`t make up my mind which I fancied more , the Highland Green Mustang or Jacqueline Bissett :love:
Then I figured out that with one , you could always get the other ! :LOL:

Roscobbc

Irrespective of the fact that the car 'action' in Bullitt perhaps looks a little 'cheesy' to some with 'todays eyes', and despite the questionable dubbed sound effects it is still a landmark film in terms of car action. The 'reality' of the car action was perhaps was equalled back in the day by other films but has never been improved upon IMHO. All of the modern car action films are total, unrealistic and pathetic fantasty. Watch Bullitt on a large screen cinema or TV screen and your stomach still turns over when the cars go over the hills in San Francisco. Can't be many any other film that have that effect. Seven Ups had the same team trying more or less the same formula but with boring cars instead and a different ending

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Totally agree with you about modern car chase films being OTT and unrealistic . Bullitt era films worked because they had real cars on real streets driven by real drivers and didn`t rely on CGI to over egg everything .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Side pipes were all the rage in the mid/late 70’s to early 80’s. fitted to everything. Remember Thrush outsiders. I fitted some to a friends 1600E cortina, he loved them. Only one worked the other was for show. Also fitted them to a Ford Transit. Great memories.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Re bullitt, I remember Jackie bissitts little Porsche. Again, worth nothing stateside in 1968, a bloody fortune now.

Re Miss Bissitt, like her more much more in the Deep.