Cylinder Heads

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Hi All
This one is for all the SBC buffs. My 1980 C3 Vette is fitted with a 400 sbc. During the initial restoration, it was completely rebuilt etc. It runs fine, and after sticking to the excellent rocker setting sequence supplied by Ross is a lot quieter.
My winter project is to replace the pressed in rocker studs with screw in type.
As I was removing the drivers head, I took note of the casting number (3947041). Being keen to learn more, I checked this number out, and it appears to be a very early 350 head with 64cc chambers. I then did a quick calc, and to my horror this seems to give me (with my flat top pistons) a CR of nearly 12:1
I don’t seem to get any pinking etc, but to my old fashioned view of things this seems way too high, and I need heads with 74cc chambers. Am I being paranoid?

Delb

Oneball

CCCUK Member
As you say that comes out as 12:1. If you’ve got the standard starter motor and it turns over nicely I doubt it’s that high though.

What were the head gaskets?

Flat top pistons are pretty unusual on a SBC are there now valve cutouts or a dish at all?

Only way to be sure of the chamber cc is to measure it.

If it does turn out that the CR is too high you can use a different head gasket

Dellb

CCCUK Member
The pistons do have valve cutouts. She spins over easily on the starter.
Currently awaiting arrival of burette

Oneball

CCCUK Member
They’ll probably be 10cc at least. More if youve got the uni-directional ones with 4 cut outs.

That’ll bring your CR down to 10:1 by my calculation.

Corvette

Well-known user
We like cr it makes hp. my old LT1 was 11.1 with standard dome top pistons something like in the pic. you will notice high cr on the struggling starter.
73C05FCB-7584-4C19-824E-FD7FC58D3568.jpeg

Roscobbc

What cam do you have? - if its an 'old school' rumpity rumpity one it will probably bleed-off some of that compression - you could always knock back the total timing and tailor the advance curve to bring advance i early to prevent any risk of pinking - perhaps also use Shell VPower Super Unleaded or other 99/100 octane........

Dellb

CCCUK Member
The cam is a new lunati voodoo hydraulic roller set.
Current ignition is 12 degrees at idle working up to 34 degrees. Carb is a New holley 4130 street avenger (670cfm)

Roscobbc

The cam is a new lunati voodoo hydraulic roller set.
Current ignition is 12 degrees at idle working up to 34 degrees. Carb is a New holley 4130 street avenger (670cfm)
If it has plenty of overlap perhaps I does reduce effective compression?