Dash cam route

Vet68

CCCUK Member
That looks somewhat excessive, taking a feed from the boot area and running it back to the front. Has anyway wired one direct into the electrics near the map light? My daily driver had this done, but not by me. Very neat and tidy with no visible wires.

Vet68

CCCUK Member
Since looking at this thread, I have bought a cam for the Corvette (Road Angel Halo Pro £135 against £199 RRP). Not fitted it yet but discovered that you can buy wires that go into the OBD port under the dash for around £15-20. This potentially provides an ignition dependent/independent power source other than use 12v socket or going to a fuse box. I am looking into it. Tidy and reversible.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Corvettes like the C5, C6 in the passenger floor where the BCM and fuse panel is has a spare fused circuit that the wire for it dead ends and is taped off on the end.
Beware of outside rearview mirrors that are heated, such as the C8s.
Owners have been tapping into those wires for radar detectors, etc and then the outside mirrors are burning out as when the heater circuit is on
the tapped in devices are causing the mirrors to overheat and destroys the mirror surface.

GM voids warranty for those burned up mirrors when found another device tapped into those circuits and C8 owners have to buy for new ones.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Since looking at this thread, I have bought a cam for the Corvette (Road Angel Halo Pro £135 against £199 RRP). Not fitted it yet but discovered that you can buy wires that go into the OBD port under the dash for around £15-20. This potentially provides an ignition dependent/independent power source other than use 12v socket or going to a fuse box. I am looking into it. Tidy and reversible.

There is a problem using the OBD port in that the 12 volts is always hot, and some device plugged into that could not only help drain the battery but also cause the other controllers to wake up and draw even more current load.

If older OBD-I cars like C4s which uses a 12 pin DLC port, there is no voltage to that connector at all
For OBD-II cars, C5 and newer has a 16 pin DC connector and pin 16 is the 12 volts, could measure that and see if it is a switched circuit or not.

Vet68

CCCUK Member
The OBD cables I have seen have a switch on them so can be turned off on leaving the vehicle or left on for cameras that have a parking mode. Good info though. Thank you.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
My dashcam cigarette socket connector converts 12v to 5v. It would not work with a direct 12v connection and perhaps could be damaged by it.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The OBD cables I have seen have a switch on them so can be turned off on leaving the vehicle or left on for cameras that have a parking mode. Good info though. Thank you.

Well that clearly helps with that switch as long as people do not forget it to turn it off each time

Vet68

CCCUK Member
Indeed, yes. With respect to taking a tap from the mirror area, I was put off after seeing a YouTube video. If any of the existing wires in the loom get damaged or disturbed I can imagine a whole world of pain. I would go for something easy and reversible.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
My dashcam cigarette socket connector converts 12v to 5v. It would not work with a direct 12v connection and perhaps could be damaged by it.

Being it converts from 12 volts means the connection to converter is also 12 volts
Could buy a cigarette lighter socket and connect the positive side to switched 12 volts other wire to ground and plug converter into that

Keep in mind M puts the cigarette lighter and the DLC connector 12 volts on the same fused circuit and if any electronics plugged into the lighter causes the fuse to blow then the diagnostics DLC to also no longer functional, so I'd limit using that circuit

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I have posted about this before from GM

The driver’s outside rearview mirror on some 2020-2022 Corvettes may have poor operation and appearance,
including numerous lines shown in the mirror and a dim reflection at all times. (Fig. 14)

The poor appearance caused by the installation of an aftermarket radar detector in the vehicle.
Depending on the installation location, the aftermarket electrical device may cause higher voltage to the mirror.

If the damaged mirror appearance is shown, check for the installation of a jumper harness to power the radar detector added to the mirror’s X1 connector.
The connector is located behind the front cover of the inside rearview mirror. (Fig. 15)

Disconnecting the jumper harness, and replacing the damaged outside rearview mirror due to the jumper harness, must be authorized by the customer.
Vehicle damage resulting from aftermarket devices is not covered under warranty.

For additional information, refer to Bulletin #21-NA-251.
F14-mirror-1.jpgF15-mirror-2.jpg