'Dodgy' used Corvette's

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
I have 3 MOT exempt vehicles and always get them MOT'd as it saves a pull by uninformed Police Officers. Secondly, at £40 it lets someone else look at your car and perhaps spot something whilst on the ramp that even the most fastidious owner may miss. I missed a lightly chaffed flexi pipe once that could only be spotted whilst up in the air, so was pleased they found something that was safety critical.

Pete

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
Incidentally, first thing I check when looking at any car is the MOT history. It's amazing how many faults have been reported on that ' owned by enthusiast and well looked after car'. Best I've seen was repeated, tyres worn below legal limit on a similarly described vehicle on checking MOT history.

Pete

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
You still need to go through the procedure for taxing a car even if it is tax exempt, you just don’t pay a fee, if you’ve not done that it’ll show as not taxed.
Untaxed vehicles in a public place can be lifted onto a flatbed by the DVLA and taken away to a compound.…with no warning. This happened to someone I know, they thought the car had been nicked, contacted the police and everyone else on Facebook. They were most embarrassed to find it had been seized for no tax. They just forgot to do it. At least the old tax disc system was a visible reminder.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Untaxed vehicles in a public place can be lifted onto a flatbed by the DVLA and taken away to a compound.…with no warning. This happened to someone I know, they thought the car had been nicked, contacted the police and everyone else on Facebook. They were most embarrassed to find it had been seized for no tax. They just forgot to do it. At least the old tax disc system was a visible reminder.
You get email reminders from DVLA instead so no excuse on that count !

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
James , never mind all the (y) you keep giving to everyones comments , have you actually looked into the MOT and no Tax implications that have been highlighted ? A proper answer would be useful as we are only trying to help and save you unecessary grief .

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I agree Oneball , as that is my understanding . If vehicle has been inspected and declared unfit for the road then that`s it , irrespective of age and vehicle exemption .
Well, that's not necessarily correct. It's all about the concept. Is a car with a wrongly spaced number plate "unfit for the road"? The relevant legal concept is "roadworthy".

There's a major difference between MOT fail and unroadworthy. The two concepts are covered by different legislation although they appear to and can overlap.

MOT legislation says that IF a car needs an MOT it must have a pass certificate that's less then 12 months old. So if you car fails an MOT when you've got 6 months left to run on the old MOT you still have a "valid MOT". Similarly, if a car doesn't need an MOT at all then an MOT fail is, in itself, irrelevant. You are still compliant with the MOT legislation.

Separately from the above there's a completely different law which requires any car on the road to be "roadworthy". Having a current MOT doesn't mean your car is roadworthy and similarly not having a valid MOT (where required) doesn't mean you car is "unroadworthy".

It's slightly bizarre the way these two laws interact but that's the way it is. In a nutshell,
* One is an administrative piece of paper. If you haven't got the piece of paper you're guilty, regardless of the perfect condition of your car.
* The other is a real-world assessment of roadworthiness and having an MOT doesn't mean you car will be "roadworthy" for the next 12 months.

OK, OK, so what is "roadworthy"? See below,

"If you want a legal definition of what renders a vehicle unroadworthy then check out the Road Traffic Act 1988.
Road Traffic Act 1988
....a motor vehicle ... is in an unroadworthy condition if,
(a) it is in such a condition that the use of it on a road in that condition would be unlawful by virtue of any provision made by regulations under section 41 of this Act as respects—
(i) brakes, steering gear or tyres, or
(ii) the construction, weight or equipment of vehicle, or
(iii) it is in such a condition that its use on a road would involve a danger of injury to any person."

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Incorrect about failing an MOT 6 months in advance of a 12 month MOT certificate and still swan about in it for 6 months . You can only get an MOT on vehicle with a valid MOT certificate one month in advance to preserve the 12 month anniversary date . It clearly states that on the MOT certificate .

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Well, that's not necessarily correct. It's all about the concept. Is a car with a wrongly spaced number plate "unfit for the road"? The relevant legal concept is "roadworthy".

There's a major difference between MOT fail and unroadworthy. The two concepts are covered by different legislation although they appear to and can overlap.

MOT legislation says that IF a car needs an MOT it must have a pass certificate that's less then 12 months old. So if you car fails an MOT when you've got 6 months left to run on the old MOT you still have a "valid MOT". Similarly, if a car doesn't need an MOT at all then an MOT fail is, in itself, irrelevant. You are still compliant with the MOT legislation.

Separately from the above there's a completely different law which requires any car on the road to be "roadworthy". Having a current MOT doesn't mean your car is roadworthy and similarly not having a valid MOT (where required) doesn't mean you car is "unroadworthy".

It's slightly bizarre the way these two laws interact but that's the way it is. In a nutshell,
* One is an administrative piece of paper. If you haven't got the piece of paper you're guilty, regardless of the perfect condition of your car.
* The other is a real-world assessment of roadworthiness and having an MOT doesn't mean you car will be "roadworthy" for the next 12 months.

OK, OK, so what is "roadworthy"? See below,

"If you want a legal definition of what renders a vehicle unroadworthy then check out the Road Traffic Act 1988.
Road Traffic Act 1988
There’s two categories of MOT fail. If the fail is a “dangerous” one it is illegal to drive it on the road, irrespective of it still having a current MOT or being MOT exempt. The law was introduced a few years ago. This is in addition to “not having a valid MOT”.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Fairly obviously "dangerous" = "unroadworthy".

As set out above there are two different laws working in parallel,
* One is administrative; the requirement to hold a valid MOT certificate (where applicable)
* The other is the requirement that the vehicle must be roadworthy (all vehicles)

Break one = one offence
Break both = two offences

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Incorrect about failing an MOT 6 months in advance of a 12 month MOT certificate and still swan about in it for 6 months .
A fail does not of itself invalidate a current MOT so you can continue driving for 6 months so long as the car is roadworthy.

You can only get an MOT on vehicle with a valid MOT certificate one month in advance to preserve the 12 month anniversary date . It clearly states that on the MOT certificate .
That's about "timing of expiry" rather than "whether you can refresh your MOT". I've just had one of my cars MOT'd at 6 months and the new certificate therefore runs for 12 months from date of test. Yes, if you want 13 months you have to wait until the last month.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
James , I hope you did a background check on your car as it was an Ebay car . I know your car is now MOT exempt but DVLA records show no current MOT and the last one in 2015 shows a long list of failure points . Personally I think the MOT exemption is a noncense and I keep my C3 MOT`d each year even though I maintain the car myself . An extra pair of eyes at a Test is always a good thing and it keeps the cars history up to scratch and will help at re sale time .
I’d like to see a picture of you James posing with your vette as I can’t seem to find anything on here maybe I missed it? As you are a very active member on here I’m really surprised no pics.

Corvette

Well-known user
James has indeed posted pics of him and his brother enjoying a Sunday blast in his car but seeing as almost every thread takes all of three posts to go completely 'off topic' its difficult to find. For me the low point right now is a thread in the remembrance section that has ended up with contacts being exchanged between members. I had brought it to the attention of a moderator but it fell on deaf ears.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Fairly obviously "dangerous" = "unroadworthy".

As set out above there are two different laws working in parallel,
* One is administrative; the requirement to hold a valid MOT certificate (where applicable)
* The other is the requirement that the vehicle must be roadworthy (all vehicles)

Break one = one offence
Break both = two offences

In the eyes of the law a “dangerous fail” and a car being “unroadworthy” are two separate things.

In your terminology a dangerous fail is akin to administrative.

You seem to be quoting how it used to be. The law changed a couple of years ago.

If your car has a major fail, still has a current mot and that fail makes it unroadworthy, for you to be prosecuted you’d have to be stopped driving the car on the road and it be inspected and proved to be unroadworthy.

If your car has a dangerous fail you would only have to drive past an ANPR camera for you to receive an automatic fixed penalty for driving a car that has a dangerous MOT fail. No inspection is required.

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Seems weird doesn’t it. You don’t pay any road tax BUT you still have to tax your historic vehicle
I guess it is so the vehicle is recorded on the system as opposed to someone driving about in an un taxed vehicle that is not historic . Otherwise according to DVLA and ANPR cameras we would all show up as untaxed .