Door panel query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, the door panels on my 72 are not tight to the door. The round grippy velcro system seems inadequate for the job, what do folk do to fix them more securely? Tia

Roscobbc

Probably a big no-no for many sticklers for originality but judicious use of Silkaflex (available from motor and car paint factors in black and white and applied by mastic gun) can work wonders securing trim or panels that have become old or lost some of their fixings and don't secure adequately - you have a 'window' of about ten minutes before it drys to apply between trim, pushing door panel in to place and holding it down securely in place with strips of masking tape untill Sikaflex drys. It only needs 'dabs' of the adhesive to do the job. Remove trim using knife blade. Done carefully its 'invisible. Wear disposable gloves 'coz it aint half sticky.......

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
You can get heavy duty self adhesive backed velcro capable of holding considerable weight on even vertical surfaces . I bought some from Halfords to hold the new padded leather centre arm rest on top of the flexible jelly mold like centre console cover over hand brake handle . I know the arm rest is light and on a horizontal surface but is subject to pressure of folding seat backs down or knocking with your elbow . Trust me , it sticks like poo to a blanket and needs a reel hard tug to take it off . It would avoid slipping with a knife blade and damaging the door cards if you need to remove them to access door locks or window winder problems . Just a thought :unsure: See photo of arm rest .DSCF3027.JPG

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Probably a big no-no for many sticklers for originality but judicious use of Silkaflex (available from motor and car paint factors in black and white and applied by mastic gun) can work wonders securing trim or panels that have become old or lost some of their fixings and don't secure adequately - you have a 'window' of about ten minutes before it drys to apply between trim, pushing door panel in to place and holding it down securely in place with strips of masking tape untill Sikaflex drys. It only needs 'dabs' of the adhesive to do the job. Remove trim using knife blade. Done carefully its 'invisible. Wear disposable gloves 'coz it aint half sticky.......
, thanks may resort to tjat as the velcro things seem to do very little on mine.