Door weather stripping adhesive

sublimemike

Well-known user
The ones I am replacing run down the sides and along the bottom of each door so how much adhesive to buy would also be helpful and and any tips on the job - thanks all

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I replaced the seals on both doors and tried a couple of so called `special ` adhesives and Gorilla too and got in a real mess trying to hold the seals in place . Adhesive everywhere !! Had to clean it all down with white spirit and and then used good old fashioned tin of Evostik conatact adhesive . Worked just fine and held the seals in place whilst it set . They have been on over three years now and no problems at all .

antijam

CCCUK Member
Which weatherstrips did you replace and how many tubes did it take?
Did you have to tape the seals in place while it dried or did it hold?

I replaced the seals that run round the doors on a convertible, that's these....
Capturea.JPG
Both ends of these are secured with screws. After applying a film of adhesive to the whole seal and letting it dry I attached the ends with the screws while keeping the free body of the seal clear of the door. I then applied adhesive to the door in short lengths and after it dried (in a few minutes) brought the two surfaces together, working from the middle of the seal towards the ends. It's a contact type adhesive and the bond is instantaneous - there's no room for manoeuvre. This is why I secured both ends first; if you work from one end to the other there is a risk of finding the seal ends up either too long or too short. The bond is very strong.

I used about a fifth of the tube in the ad in doing both doors - I still have most of it left.

Custom exotics

Well-known user
We now use 3m 08001 bit like evostick but better found evostick tends to peel off the rubber seal a bit easy esp in the higher load areas got it off ebay

johng

CCCUK Member
The favourite on the US forum seems to be 3M 08011 which is apparently made for EPDM rubber. Trouble is you cant get it shipped from the US. Anybody know if it is available here?

johng

CCCUK Member
You can get 08001 and 08008 but not 08011. Doesn't make much sense to me, it's either highly explosive or a state secret!!

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Could be just patent or EU regulations! LOL šŸ¤£. I believe it's tricky getting aerosols & the like, shipped from US. I used ordinary bostick when mine came loose. Slightly messy but cleaned up easily with a dab of white spirit, or was is acetone? Can't remember. ( Old-timers desease) hahahaha

Last edited:

Custom exotics

Well-known user
I have failed to understand why by now they have not developed a retrofit clip fit seal or even a doublesided type seal like the new Ford's they dont bl***y come off i can tell you !!!!

sublimemike

Well-known user
Update.. went to fit the weather seals today. I think I am finding out the hard way.... looking at Ecklers site there is a difference between coupe and vert door weather stripping? When i bought the ones I have the ad just specified corvette 69 -75 , no mention of coupe , vert etc. On the end of the weatherstripping where it fixes to the door handle end it looks like the stripping should sandwich between the door glass? Mine doesn't :(:( leaving a gaping hole between the door glass and outer skin..
Can someone confirm what I don't want to hear but have probably begun to accept??

antijam

CCCUK Member
Here you go. Drivers side door rear....

1-P1370023.JPG

A bit blurry but you can probably see that the weatherstrip rubber is grooved to embrace the door glass

sublimemike

Well-known user
Yep...and mine's not. Also shows how much mine has deteriorated. Have to chalk this one down to experience. Look out for weatherstripping soon in Parts for Sale.
Thanks for the pic.