Fri 17 Jun 2022 - 08:00
Until: Fri 17 Jun 2022 - 16:00
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Really great day, found out quite a bit of what these cars can do when pushed hard, which we rarely get a chance to do.
Will definitely go again.!
Glad you enjoyed it Alex. Corvettes are tough sports cars - they enjoy a bit of action!! Look forward to seeing you next time [in your C3??!!]

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
I really enjoyed yesterday, I find it doesn't matter how many days you do, one could never get bored hooning about like this, in the good company of fellow car enthusiasts.

I'll add my thoughts to a magazine write up, but in brief it was brilliant to see new faces, to this our fourth handling day event. For some this was their first time on track, giving them a taste for more and perhaps learning a new found appreciation for their car and just maybe a skill that could save an accident on the road. Every car was reliable throughout, a testament to their strength and maintenance, given the 30C heat. On the drive home temps peaked at 97F/36C through Epping.

The high temps were certainly affecting lap times, with times for many (including me) getting slower through the day, despite trying harder! The old tyres gave me an excuse for some wild slides, none of my passengers were sick, result!

Thank you to Andy for trusting me to drive his gorgeous C3 for a lap. Since last time the brakes have really improved, it caught me out, with me braking way too early for bends. The grip has not improved, but it's all the better for it, sliding nicely when lifting off the power. A lot has changed in 3 generations of Corvette, they feel completely different.

In the end I got pipped overall by a well driven Lotus Evora, and worryingly a VW Golf R estate was close behind me!

Here's a random lap with Mark, the organiser/instructor, who gave me a couple of tips after this run. :)

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
Do any of you have any video from the outside please? I'd love to hear what it sounds like with the new headers. :)

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
I really enjoyed yesterday, I find it doesn't matter how many days you do, one could never get bored hooning about like this, in the good company of fellow car enthusiasts.

I'll add my thoughts to a magazine write up, but in brief it was brilliant to see new faces, to this our fourth handling day event. For some this was their first time on track, giving them a taste for more and perhaps learning a new found appreciation for their car and just maybe a skill that could save an accident on the road. Every car was reliable throughout, a testament to their strength and maintenance, given the 30C heat. On the drive home temps peaked at 97F/36C through Epping.

The high temps were certainly affecting lap times, with times for many (including me) getting slower through the day, despite trying harder! The old tyres gave me an excuse for some wild slides, none of my passengers were sick, result!

Thank you to Andy for trusting me to drive his gorgeous C3 for a lap. Since last time the brakes have really improved, it caught me out, with me braking way too early for bends. The grip has not improved, but it's all the better for it, sliding nicely when lifting off the power. A lot has changed in 3 generations of Corvette, they feel completely different.

In the end I got pipped overall by a well driven Lotus Evora, and worryingly a VW Golf R estate was close behind me!

Here's a random lap with Mark, the organiser/instructor, who gave me a couple of tips after this run. :)

Superb, Dave - absolutely superb!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep

I was lucky enough to have two laps as passenger with this man driving, one in his extremely rapid C6 and the other with him driving my slightly modified and only rapid in a straight line, ‘75 C3.
Early into the lap in his C6, the decision was made (shall we say!), that the rest of the lap would be ”wild”. It really is such a great experience to see just how late and hard he is able to brake, then carry what looks like twice as much speed as you would think possible into a corner and still come out the other side, on full power again. The “wild“ bit is Dave intentionally going far more sideways than he would for a fast time, but gave me a great appreciation of his phenomenal car control. The video he posted is great, but believe me, it doesn’t show the sheer speed or forces involved when you are in the car.
I was delighted for Dave to do a lap in my car, as he knows I’m well up for putting the car through its paces even though it’s 47 years old now (some bits are anyway). He‘s driven it for a lap last year, but to just jump in again and drive it the way he does is incredible. I would definitely have spun from some of the angles he managed to keep control from. The brakes are improved, stock except for the pads which are EBC yellow stuff. I’ve stiffened up the suspension since last time which I feel has improved the cars composure, agility and response. The 383 motor does get you to the corner pretty quickly - that’s all good. But the tyre grip in the corners doesn't quite match which does make it interesting! The limitation is my stock sized Rallye wheels with tyres that are great on the road but don't have the grip of high performance tyres.