Driving corvette after hip replacement

Drugtester

CCCUK Member
Due to an accident I have had at a relatively young age, 55, to have a hip replacement. I have a C6 convertible but would like to know if anyone is still driving any corvette having had hip replacement.

antijam

CCCUK Member
I had my left hip joint replaced at 57. Very shortly afterwards I was driving again without problem. Now aged 80 the hip still gives me no trouble driving a variety of manual and automatic cars - including my manual C3 'Vette.

Drugtester

CCCUK Member
I had my left hip joint replaced at 57. Very shortly afterwards I was driving again without problem. Now aged 80 the hip still gives me no trouble driving a variety of manual and automatic cars - including my manual C3 'Vette.
Sounds promising. How do you find getting in and out with the 90 degree hip knee thing they keep banging on about.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Sounds promising. How do you find getting in and out with the 90 degree hip knee thing they keep banging on about.

I must admit in the early days I was quite apprehensive about the possibility of dislocation due to over articulation. I do have the advantage of being married to a Physiotherapist so I was forced to exercise regularly to tauten up musculature post-op. It obviously pays to be cautious but in general I think it's difficult to do any damage provided you don't push the pain threshold
While my op was very successful it did have to be done twice. While in theory still convalescing I was up a step ladder and in descending missed the bottom rung, so my foot went down heavily on the ground and the jolt pushed the femoral component further into the bone (and yes, it did hurt!). This meant my left leg was now half an inch shorter than the right. After going round in circles for some time the consultant agreed the problem was not going to self-correct and so replaced just the femoral 'spike' with a larger one - problem solved. I think the moral I'm trying to convey is don't do too much jumping up and down in the early days.
With regular non-impact type exercise you should be back in the driving seat very soon - best of luck.

Drugtester

CCCUK Member
I must admit in the early days I was quite apprehensive about the possibility of dislocation due to over articulation. I do have the advantage of being married to a Physiotherapist so I was forced to exercise regularly to tauten up musculature post-op. It obviously pays to be cautious but in general I think it's difficult to do any damage provided you don't push the pain threshold
While my op was very successful it did have to be done twice. While in theory still convalescing I was up a step ladder and in descending missed the bottom rung, so my foot went down heavily on the ground and the jolt pushed the femoral component further into the bone (and yes, it did hurt!). This meant my left leg was now half an inch shorter than the right. After going round in circles for some time the consultant agreed the problem was not going to self-correct and so replaced just the femoral 'spike' with a larger one - problem solved. I think the moral I'm trying to convey is don't do too much jumping up and down in the early days.
With regular non-impact type exercise you should be back in the driving seat very soon - best of luck.
Thanks for your reply I am reassured and gratevil