Driving in (or through) London after October 2021

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Love or loath the French , you have to give them credit for standing up themselves . It`s in their DNA . Us Brits just take all the crap and sit back and whinge . It`s time we had our own Revolution . I am sharpening the blade on my guillotine as we speak . :LOL:

c6_pete

Regular user
Jesus H that is a big catchment area

1621502648090.png

Yep! Although Khan won't have jurisdiction over all of 'inside the M25', so he'd need agreement from all non-London counties to extend to the M25 boundary, and therefore support from the government....

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
So just to check I'm reading that map correctly - if someone wanted to go to Heathrow airport, then they'd get charged the future ULEZ fee for "within the M25" ? That could change the airport that people choose to fly from.... and Heathrow will probably lose a lot from it.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
View attachment 10947

Yep! Although Khan won't have jurisdiction over all of 'inside the M25', so he'd need agreement from all non-London counties to extend to the M25 boundary, and therefore support from the government....

Don`t count on it ! His ancestor Ghengis ruled all the known world back in the day so he has lots of catching up to do . :mad:

Roscobbc

So just to check I'm reading that map correctly - if someone wanted to go to Heathrow airport, then they'd get charged the future ULEZ fee for "within the M25" ? That could change the airport that people choose to fly from.... and Heathrow will probably lose a lot from it.
As with the extension due later this year (out to the A406) no doubt the 'border' will be the M25 - so (like the A406) you'll be able to travel on it without being effected by the charge, 'turn-off' and head London bound and you'll be monitored by a camera and charged) - can you imagine the increased traffic 'flow' (I use the word 'flow' advisedly) on these roads.........

Roscobbc

For now.....
Exactly..........just think about the logic of how we are road priced.
1. We have to pay insurance.....fair enough - exept for the fact that a percentage of that is to cover the driver that don't insure their vehicles.
2. We then have RFL (Road Fund License) which really has nothing much to do with its title as it simply raises funds for the government - pro-rata little is used or issued to local authorities for maintaining roads. With the incentives of zero rated RFL for electric vehicles and the expected increased take-up of these vehicles in the future its potentially a financial 'hole' in terms of revenue for HMG. So will they gradually increase RFL on 'green' vehicles that were previously except? or introduce road pricing, i.e pay per mile (or perhaps both.......)
3. We already have multiple road pricing schemes in London - i.e Congestion Charge and now ULEZ charge. Versions of this are to follow in other major towns and cities.
4. There are also bridge and toll charges to consider.
5. Then we have local authority parking charges - so that will include the cost of inner city annual parking permits and on-street parking fees plus pay to park schemes for local authority, hospital workers etc etc.
Perhaps those of us who have 'Historics' can think ourselves lucky that we have cheap insurance and that RFL is zero rated and don't require MOT's.........am I alone in thinking that somewhere in the near future there will be a 'sting in the tail' for us............

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Don`t forget the large % of tax on fuel that goes to prop up Her Majesties Government and all there ill conceived plans to waste tax payers money .
And guess what ? They have just announced a half arsed plan to nationalise the railways again . British Railways ! ( sorry , forgot the GREAT ) , haven`t we been there before ? ( :unsure:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Exactly..........just think about the logic of how we are road priced.
1. We have to pay (snip)
And guess what? Wherever the charges get to we'll still pay it as it just becomes 'the norm'.. I can see a time when every vehicle is required to have a transponder fitted and charges per mile or part thereof are levied with ICE being penalized more than electric cars powered by Unicorn farts.

Look at the M6 Toll charges for example which don't include current costs for a car of £6.70 or £0.29 pence per mile based on 23 miles. I do though have some M6 Toll payback having crashed through the tag lane barrier and smashing it to bits! Driving a big fat Range Rover I had been gradually increasing my speed and seeing how far I could push it but one fateful day found out that the height of the RR @ 45 MPH = BANG and a cracked windscreen and soiled shorts.

I'll have a chat with my clients suggesting hiking our service rates by 335% and see how that floats

Toll charges.PNG

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
You old cynic, its got to be good if its called Great British Railways.
It will be good if it turns out to be Great for the fare paying passengers and tax paying public . The railways should never have been privatised , but since when did politicians learn from history ? By 1921 there were over 121 separate railway companies all vying for business and passengers needed to buy a dozen different tickets to travel any distance . ( sound familiar ?) Then someone made the profound decision that this was absurd and the `Grouping` was introduced in 1923 to produce the Big Four ( LMS , GWR , SR and LNER ) to make things more efficient . Then after the war and the railways in such a run down state they nationalised in 1948 . Call me a cynic but in precisely 100 years we have just gone round a bloody big circle . ! :mad:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I'd never noticed this before but clearly HGV drivers said no thanks to £10 forcing them to halve it nearly so maybe protests are the way to go?

HGV Toll.PNG

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
PS . We still have the absurd situation of private companies playing with their trains on a public owned British Railways . I am gonna work out just how many inches of track I now own and cut that bit out of the West Coast Main Line ! That`ll bugger things up . :ROFLMAO:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
To add some context to smashing through the barrier. I pulled over to the shoulder to check the damage and found it was cracked but drivable. Looked back at the booths and saw no one approaching me so jumped back in and off I went. Arrived in London when the office called and said they had a Lady on hold from the Toll Co. would like to speak to me.

Hi

Hi

You crashed through our tag lane barrier at xxxx o clock this morning.

Did I?

Yes and you never braked, we have cameras looking both ways.

Ah yes I remember..

Is you car damaged?

Yes, cracked windscreen. How's the barrier feeling?

It’s fine, they are designed to come apart on impact.

Sweet. My tag must be faulty can you send me a new one?

Ok.

Bye

Bye

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
It will be good if it turns out to be Great for the fare paying passengers and tax paying public . The railways should never have been privatised , but since when did politicians learn from history ? By 1921 there were over 121 separate railway companies all vying for business and passengers needed to buy a dozen different tickets to travel any distance . ( sound familiar ?) Then someone made the profound decision that this was absurd and the `Grouping` was introduced in 1923 to produce the Big Four ( LMS , GWR , SR and LNER ) to make things more efficient . Then after the war and the railways in such a run down state they nationalised in 1948 . Call me a cynic but in precisely 100 years we have just gone round a bloody big circle . ! :mad:
For those that have been to Japan and used the bullet train it's night & day between them and us. Sparklingly clean trains with acres of room, perfectly smooth tracks and when you pull into the station zero litter and all the little rocks either side of the tracks looking like each was placed by hand. Roll into Euston and the last few miles the tracks are littered with soiled nappies, litter, parts of cycles and god knows what else. Disgusting :sick: One of our NW members works the railways and he was telling me that some older trains still in use still purge the contents of the toilet holding tanks so when they are working track side they have to pray the driver sees them before dumping 'the load' :sick::sick:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
For those that have been to Japan and used the bullet train it's night & day between them and us. Sparklingly clean trains with acres of room, perfectly smooth tracks and when you pull into the station zero litter and all the little rocks either side of the tracks looking like each was placed by hand. Roll into Euston and the last few miles the tracks are littered with soiled nappies, litter, parts of cycles and god knows what else. Disgusting :sick: One of our NW members works the railways and he was telling me that some older trains still in use still purge the contents of the toilet holding tanks so when they are working track side they have to pray the driver sees them before dumping 'the load' :sick::sick:
Yes , I have been near the lineside with an Inter City 125 High Speed Train approaching at speed with a brown vaporous cloud trailing from it . time to duck the muck ! :eek:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Disgusting to think that is still done in this day and age.

Sitting on the train pulling into Liverpool Street is an eye opener if you’ve never seen it before. Tracks full of all sorts of rubbish. Looks bloody terrible.