E5/E10?

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Trying to find out as to will my 81,,c3 with a zz4 engine run on E10 without issues or is E5 the safe bet,,so many stories out there

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
It will run but the long term effects of water absorbtion of ethanol and affects on fuel hoses and gaskets will be an issue . Also you will get a lower mpg . Stick to 98 or 99 RON that only has E5 content . Better still use Esso Synerge Supreme 99 RON which as zero Ethanol content even though pumps are labelled E5 . :rolleyes: Unless you live in parts of the West Country where Ethanol free Esso is not available for some perverse reason . :(

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
There is also a miriad of additives available that claim to counter the adverse effects of ethanol .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I don't drive my classics often enough to worry much about the cost of Super Unleaded vs Unleaded. So I've always used Super in mine anyway.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I don't drive my classics often enough to worry much about the cost of Super Unleaded vs Unleaded. So I've always used Super in mine anyway.
If anyone is worried about the additional cost of Super Unleaded over bog standard unleaded they shouldn

Roscobbc

The cost cost of fuel even for higher mpg modern day cars is a 'bitter pill' for many to suffer. But don't worry it will all pale into relative insignificance as HMG and our (foreign owned) energy companies start to 'rack-up' the cost of gas over and above electricity costs during the next few years. The reason why? - to 'encourage' households (most of the UK) to make the shift over from gas fired heating to electrical heating (i.e heat pumps). As most will understand, even now heating by electrical means is between a third and half more expensive than gas........so realistically gas prices will most like increase hugely in the future.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The cost cost of fuel even for higher mpg modern day cars is a 'bitter pill' for many to suffer. But don't worry it will all pale into relative insignificance as HMG and our (foreign owned) energy companies start to 'rack-up' the cost of gas over and above electricity costs during the next few years. The reason why? - to 'encourage' households (most of the UK) to make the shift over from gas fired heating to electrical heating (i.e heat pumps). As most will understand, even now heating by electrical means is between a third and half more expensive than gas........so realistically gas prices will most like increase hugely in the future.
Not to mention that heat pumps are entirely inefficient and useless unless applied to a building specifically designed to use it with ultra high levels of insulation and air tight . That rules out the vast majority of homes in the UK .

Roscobbc

Not to mention that heat pumps are entirely inefficient and useless unless applied to a building specifically designed to use it with ultra high levels of insulation and air tight . That rules out the vast majority of homes in the UK .
Its only properties with ultra large plots (probably an acre or so) that can have either a large horizontal network of suitable piping - or alternatively - be able to drill down 100 metres or so for vertical pipeworks. Air source pumps as being 'pushed' by HMG are far less efficient. As usual the people who can afford a system like this are the ones wealthy enough to be able to pay for it........and wealthy enough to pay the bills from conventional heating. The people who really need inexpensive heating can't afford it.........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If we could harness all the hot air that comes out of HMG and all it quangos we could solve the energy crisis in one fell swoop ! :rolleyes: