Egg crate grill query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, wondering if people can tell me i what finish the front egg crate grills on a 70 to 72 vette came from the factory.with.
Were they satin black with just the front edges polished. Or were the squares in the grills polshed too?
mine look like they have been painted inside at some time, they are a bit edgy so dont know whether to repaint inside the squares or strip what old paint remains. Any suggestions appreciated. 👍

Dazaa

Well-known user
Just the leading edges are left unpainted, should be chrome.

Stripping them is not fun, takes ages with a good paint stripper. To repaint you can either spend ages using thin masking tape on the chrome edge or just spray the whole thing and use a razor blade to remove the paint from the shiny areas.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member

Stripping them is not fun, takes ages with a good paint stripper. To repaint you can either spend ages using thin masking tape on the chrome edge or just spray the whole thing and use a razor blade to remove the paint from the shiny areas.
Ah thanks

Thanks for swift response. I will repaint and that will tidy the front end up. 👍

sublimemike

Well-known user
From memory if you want to be absolutely correct when I resprayed mine there is some special paint that is no longer available so people have to improvise. Go on the US forum and there are posts that will give you full details " painting egg crates". Might be useful before you crack into it and find out later .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
From memory if you want to be absolutely correct when I resprayed mine there is some special paint that is no longer available so people have to improvise. Go on the US forum and there are posts that will give you full details " painting egg crates". Might be useful before you crack into it and find out later .
Thank you , I will google it 👍