Electric scooter caution

James Vette

CCCUK Member
It gets dark by five so teenagers are still out and about well on my drive back from work I had two teenagers without any reflective gear or lights on a scooter in front of me and they weren't even using the empty cycle lane! So I hang back and eventually they move over and when I'm passing them they suddenly start to come out of the cycle lane and almost clipped my left headlight! What the f***? And they had their hoods up so there was no way of seeing left or right. Do they think the world revolves around them like a video game?

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I stepped off the pavement to give COVID space to someone and was nearly collected by a youth on a completely silent e-scooter. I understand that these are not allowed on the road unless rented.

Roscobbc

They are illegal to use on public roads and pavements in the UK, most sold currently would not be legalised even if they were to be allowed (too fast) - electric scooters are only legal if operated on a rental basis in private areas. Having said all that I'm sure most of us if teeenagers again would ignore all that and own one.........police will seize them if you're caught riding (if able to catch you!). Reminds me of the illegal am CB usage pre 1981. Most people used the 'illegal' ones - great community developed - soon as it was made legal and 'controlled' it became spoilt........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Roscobb - There were plenty of bobbies on the beat when we were teenagers and you wouldn`t get away with pratish stunts like that for long ! You couldn`t even play football in the street without copping a bollocking from the local bobby . Get lippy and you risked a clout round the ear ! And the world was a better place for it too !

Roscobbc

Wouldn't even dream of riding your bikes at night (without lights), in pavements, without brakes or bald tyres - 'jumping' red traffic lights - certainly not!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
.... And they had their hoods up so there was no way of seeing left or right. Do they think the world revolves around them like a video game?

But at least they weren’t texting at the same time, to give them their due 😆

Having toured in some Far Eastern countries with a hired driver, I can tell you UK roads are pretty safe in comparison. I found myself actually marvelling at some of the death defying manoeuvres I’ve seen. Like double overtaking, that’s not going past two cars in line, but going three abreast, generally towards a blind bend. Overtaking and heading towards one of the seventy year old local busses (that will not brake even if collision imminent) was a regular occurrence. Being passed by said busses between blind hairpin bends, might take several bends to get past if going uphill. Oh and most drivers won’t be wearing any shoes, flip flops if they’re a real pro maybe.
It helps keep me calm to recall these memories when I see something daft over here - probably tame in comparison. I do have some Victor Meldrew* tendencies starting to appear mind you.
*Look him up James!

Roscobbc

Recall some years back when on a business trip in northern Italy and staying overnight in Milan - no decent or interesting cars to be seen anywhere - all cars used and parked in the street were badly dented - drivers would shunt over vehicles along to make space........ General driving and it seemed that the least powerful cars were the ones driven the fastest and most reckless - the least powerful Fiat Panda would be driven the fastest. Mopeds were even worse - ridden either side or the road - generally in the gutter. Vespa's ridden in the rain (with rider also holding umbrella). Never saw a Ferrari in five days.......not surprising really.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I think the relatively lower speeds in these countries, due to the type and age of most vehicles, is how they get away with the hair-raising manoeuvres - there's more reaction time. They don't always get away with it of course. Road accident stats are best not known if you find yourself on holiday in these places.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Recall some years back when on a business trip in northern Italy and staying overnight in Milan - no decent or interesting cars to be seen anywhere - all cars used and parked in the street were badly dented - drivers would shunt over vehicles along to make space........ General driving and it seemed that the least powerful cars were the ones driven the fastest and most reckless - the least powerful Fiat Panda would be driven the fastest. Mopeds were even worse - ridden either side or the road - generally in the gutter. Vespa's ridden in the rain (with rider also holding umbrella). Never saw a Ferrari in five days.......not surprising really.
Same experience for me driving in Northern Italy on the mountainous hair pinned roads around Lake Como area . The Italians are great people ( can`t play rugby for toffee though !) but put them on wheels and they are mental . Fag in one hand and mobile phone in the other , if you are lucky they sometimes actually hold the steering wheel :LOL:
On two wheels they all think they are Giacomo Agustini , be it on a superbike , Vespa , or farting moped ! In the space of just two weeks I had a door mirror ripped off my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee by a down hill racer in a Transit van , and the passenger door swiped by a motor cycle :cry:

mickn

CCCUK Member
Wouldn't even dream of riding your bikes at night (without lights), in pavements, without brakes or bald tyres - 'jumping' red traffic lights - certainly not!
When I was 16/17 and still at college I worked part time in a local petrol station (forecourt service, no sitting in a warm booth of course). Whilst riding to work one day I hopped onto the pavement, went round the corner and had to swerve to miss a young mum pushing a pushchair, just as two coppers in a van went by, saw me, stopped me, lectured me and took my name and address. I didn't think anymore of it until I got a bloody summons, ended up with a £5.00 fine!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
When I was 16/17 and still at college I worked part time in a local petrol station (forecourt service, no sitting in a warm booth of course). Whilst riding to work one day I hopped onto the pavement, went round the corner and had to swerve to miss a young mum pushing a pushchair, just as two coppers in a van went by, saw me, stopped me, lectured me and took my name and address. I didn't think anymore of it until I got a bloody summons, ended up with a £5.00 fine!
Ah ! The good old days of proper policing . They are all too busy pushing paperwork about now ! Mind you , £5 was a weeks wages when I was 17 as an apprentice . 15 shillings board to my mum and the rest kept me in beer and fags until the next payday . Them`s was the days :D

HJG

Well-known user
I remember when I was 13 a friend and I both had electric scooters (with a seat too!). It was 2003. They were a novelty then. We got 'pulled over' at 15mph by two police cars. It looked quite the scene. Made the front page of the local evening newspaper. The publicity meant the retailer gave us a full refund as they weren't worth keeping with the risks of section 59s etc.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I remember when I was 13 a friend and I both had electric scooters (with a seat too!). It was 2003. They were a novelty then. We got 'pulled over' at 15mph by two police cars. It looked quite the scene. Made the front page of the local evening newspaper. The publicity meant the retailer gave us a full refund as they weren't worth keeping with the risks of section 59s etc.
Who said crime doesn`t pay ? 👮‍♂️ :LOL: