Final race for C8.R in historic championship season for Corvette program

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Final race for C8.R in historic championship season for Corvette program

DETROIT (Oct. 30, 2023) – Can C8.R Corvette Racing go out on top to end 2023?
That’s certainly the plan as the team goes for its fourth FIA World Endurance Championship victory this year in the season-ending Eight Hours of Bahrain.

It would be a fitting exit for the Chevrolet Corvette C8.R, which will race for the final time in the hands of Nicky Catsburg, Ben Keating and Nico Varrone. Already this year, the No. 33 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Corvette has won the GTE Am category at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 1,000 Miles of Sebring and Six Hours of Portimão.

By finishing no worse than fourth at any race so far, the No. 33 Corvette Racing squad locked up the GTE Am Drivers and Teams championships two rounds ago at Monza in Italy. A fourth WEC win would give the C8.R a total of 21 victories worldwide in 82 events and close Corvette Racing’s two-year campaign in the FIA WEC with a fifth win.

As much of a coronation as Bahrain will be for the Corvette program, it also serves as a transition point for the Corvette brand. The Corvette Z06 GT3.R is slated to be part of the WEC grid next year in the hands of TF Sport for the LM GT3 category, while the No. 33 C8.R team transitions back to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship under the Corvette Racing by Pratt Miller Motorsports banner.

There’s still work to do in the present, however. Corvette Racing finished second in GTE Pro last year in its first race at the 3.36-mile, 15-turn Bahrain International Circuit with stellar drives from both Tommy Milner and Nick Tandy. Armed with that experience and notebook from the event, the goal is to finish one step higher on the podium this time around.

Working in the benefit of Corvette Racing is its perfect 2-0 record in races longer than six hours in FIA WEC competition this year, with wins at Le Mans and Sebring – each by at least one lap. It also doesn’t hurt that Keating is a two-time GTE Am winner at Bahrain, Catsburg posted two top-five finishes in World Touring Car Cup a year ago, and Varrone has previous history in the C8.R at Bahrain from last year’s Rookie Test.

As in previous races, the C8.R will run at Bahrain with a level of rewards weight due to its successes earlier this year: 15 kilograms for leading the championship and 10 kilograms for finishing second in the previous race at Fuji on top of 10 extra kilograms added to the car’s minimum weight ahead of the Monza round for a total of 35 kilograms – five less than at the Japanese round but still the heaviest in GTE Am.

The Corvette also will race with a two-liter decrease in fuel capacity and a 0.6mm restrictor adjustment to limit engine power.

The Eight Hours of Bahrain is scheduled for 2 p.m. Arabian Standard Time / 7 a.m. ET on Saturday. MotorTrend and MotorTrend Plus will provide both live television and streaming coverage, as will the FIA WEC app. Radio Le Mans will stream audio coverage of the race, plus Friday’s final practice and qualifying.

NICKY CATSBURG, NO. 33 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“The pressure is a little bit off, but it is a weekend I’m looking forward to. It’s our last weekend together with this team in WEC with the C8.R and the GTE cars. It’s kind of like a weekend of goodbyes.
The whole season, you are fighting for something and trying to achieve something, and we’ve done that. But there is always the challenge of winning the race. It is nice we will be crowned champions during the after-season party, so it will be great to be back with the guys again, driving a car that I love to drive, and being with Ben and Nico again.”

(On the legacy of the C8.R): “The C8.R is the best GTE car that I’ve ever driven. It’s such a versatile car that is good at anything you throw at it. Tracks like Le Mans, little tracks, big tracks, high-speed corner, low-speed stuff… the car is just a championship-winner. It’s not just good at one thing, and that’s what makes it so strong. We’ve always been able to adjust our setup and car to the tracks and perform well everywhere.
It’s an amazing car. It’s a car that I’ve always felt comfortable in, and it’s a car that I will miss driving, although it’s clear that the Corvette GT3 will be similar.”

BEN KEATING, NO. 33 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“I am looking forward to the race in Bahrain, not only because we’ll be there to celebrate our accomplishments, not only is it the end of a fairy tale season by winning everything in the last year of GTE with the Corvette is incredible. I really enjoy the race at Bahrain.
To me, the longer the race the better. It’s been a little while since we’ve had a longer race like that. I enjoy the eight-hour race in Bahrain. Traditionally I have been fairly good there. I would say I have high expectations, but I’d also say that we’ve been up front in every race this season, so why wouldn’t we continue that?

We still get to lose another five kilos for this race, which should be a little bit better for us. This should be fun to watch. From what I remember about this track, the tire degradation is really high. I think that’s good for the Corvette. Having raced in the Porsche and the Aston Martin, I think the Corvette handles the tire deg better than the other cars.
Once again, I have very expectations for what we can achieve there. I’m looking forward to the whole experience of heading to Bahrain, doing the last race, doing the final celebration dinner. It’s exciting.”

NICO VARRONE, NO. 33 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“It’s crazy. This has been a dream season. We won a lot of races, won the championship three races early, we won Le Mans as well. It’s been a fantastic season, and we’ve had so much fun that it went so far, which is sad a little bit. But we will make sure we enjoy all the time with the mechanics, the engineers and the rest of the team at Bahrain. It will be fun.”

(On his first season with Corvette Racing): “I feel like from the outside, you always see teams like Corvette Racing and I have to say I was really nervous before Sebring. I didn’t know how the team worked, how the car works, how different things were than what I was used to.
But I learned a lot on how to work with these guys and how to work with a lineup like this with Nicky and Ben, and also with engineers and mechanics. I’ve also had races where we had to manage the tires and save fuel.
I had done that before, but I feel like I maximized it in a good way. I think I’ve gotten better in all those ways for endurance racing.
Furthermore, I feel like I’ve learned so much how to set up a car, how I like the car also. It’s been a great season with some wonderful memories that I’ll remember all my life.”

Corvette Racing’s Ben Keating, Nicholas Varrone and Nicky Catsburg secured the title back in July at Monza, but a win in Bahrain would see the trio set a new points record in GTE Am, beating the existing record by Aston Martin [198 points].
The No.33 Corvette currently sits on 164 points, so only a win would break the record.

Behind the 2023 champions, there are six crews covering four manufacturers [Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari and Aston Martin] battling it out for the vice-champion position.
Currently, second in the general classification with 79 points is the Iron Dames crew of Sarah Bovy, Rahel Frey and Michelle Gatting, while only 20 points separate the No. 54 AF Corse crew, the No. 77 Dempsey-Proton crew, No. 25 ORT by TF, the No. 86 GR Racing car plus the No. 83 Richard Mille AF Corse crew.

Notable driver changes in LMGTE Am include Fransk Dezoteux in the No. 21 AF Corse entry with Kei Cozzolini once again driving alongside Simon Mann. Elsewhere, D’Station Racing has recruited Australian Liam Talbot to drive the No. 777 Aston Martin Vantage AMR alongside Casper Stevenson and Tomonobu Fujii. Finally, Estaban Masson will replace Scott Huffaker in the No. 57 Ferrari 488 GTE Evo.

The on-track action is set to kick off on Thursday 2 November with qualifying taking place on Friday afternoon.
The flag for the 8-hour race will be waved at 2pm on Saturday, 4 November.

2023 FIA World Endurance Championship – GTE Am

(After six of seven events)

Driver Standings
1. Ben Keating/Nicky Catsburg/Nico Varrone – 164
2. Michelle Gatting/Rahel Frey/Sarah Bovy – 79
3. Davide Rigon/Francesco Castellacci/Thomas Flohr – 73
4. Christian Ried/Julien Andlauer/Mikkel Pedersen – 68
5. Ahmad Al Harthy/Charlie Eastwood/Michael Dinan – 65

Team Standings
1. No. 33 Corvette Racing – 164
2. No. 85 Iron Dames – 79
3. No. 54 AF Corse – 73
4. No. 77 Dempsey-Proton Racing – 68
5. ORT by TF – 65

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
There were two practice sessions today and the C8.R was in the back for both of them :(
Need to do better for Qualify tomorrow, Friday

Wecpratice.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
GM sports car racing program manager feels like this weekend’s 8 Hours of Bahrain will ‘close one chapter but open the next one’ for Corvette Racing as the program transitions into a customer racing GT3 operation.

Corvette Racing, as a fully fledged factory team, is set for its 284th and final event start in Saturday’s FIA World Endurance Championship season finale, a record that stretches back to 1999 and has included 127 victories and 14 manufacturer championships over its ultra-successful 25-year run.

The Pratt Miller-run team will continue in a factory supported capacity in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship next year with a two-car GTD Pro class program with the new Chevrolet Corvette Z06 GT3.R, which will also be in the hands of multiple customer teams around the world.

Klauser, who was appointed as Corvette Racing program manager in 2021, succeeding longtime leader Doug Fehan, before being promoted to the overall boss of GM’s sports car racing activities, said the first quarter-century of success has helped lay a “strong foundation” for what’s coming next.
“I’m super proud of everything for Corvette Racing,” she told Sportscar365.

“If you look at how we’ve built up an incredible program from back in the early 2000’s and coming forward to where we are today,
I cannot thank everyone who’s been involved from Day 1 through now with that program.
“From the team to the power unit to drivers… everyone that has been a part of the program has been a huge part of it.
“What’s so exciting is that we just carry forward into next year. Yes, it’s a new car with the GT3, but you’re going to see all these familiar faces.

“What’s even cooler is that we have the familiar faces that everyone has known, plus more. We’re growing the family.
“This will give the opportunity for people, no matter where they live in the world, to eventually be able to find a place where Corvette is racing and go out and root for their favorite car.

“I’m super stoked and thankful for everything that’s happened so far. It’s created such a strong foundation for us to launch into this big customer program with GT3.”
The Bahrain weekend also marks the final race for the GTE platform, which pre-dates the launch of the WEC in 2012 and a formula that Corvette Racing had been involved with since 2008, initially with the GT2-spec Corvette C6.R.

Pratt Miller went on to build two further generations of GTE cars, including the current C8.R, which is now on the eve of retirement from professional competition.
“Just like when the DPi retired last year, it’s always a little sad to see a car that you loved so much go into retirement,” Klauser said.

“What’s cool is that the cars will go on and live other lives. We have people that are interested in buying them, which is exciting.
“Of course we’ll keep one for us to celebrate all the success we’ve had with the car as well. And we have all the memories.

“We’re closing the chapter, but we’re opening the next one, and we’ve got everyone on the program so busy with GT3 that I don’t think they’ve even had time to think about it.”
Corvette Racing and the C8.R will close out the chapter as world champions, with its WEC entry driven by Ben Keating, Nico Varrone and Nicky Catsburg having locked up the GTE-Am title one race after claiming the team’s ninth class victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
“You can’t ask for a better way to go out, right?”

Klauser said. “It proved that we have a phenomenal vehicle, which we knew. It was nice to prove it.
“To have the opportunity to have a world championship the first time, that’s really cool. It sets the stage nicely for all the activities we’ll be doing going forward.
“We cannot be more proud of that. We had such a great year with a great lineup. The three drivers worked together so well.

“Ben Keating is an absolute pleasure to have on the team. I’m so lucky to have had the chance to work with him.
Of course Nico and Nicky being phenomenal too.
“The team, themselves, really stood up and pushed themselves further than they ever had.

“Everyone showed up and contributed, and we got a championship. I think that’s what you want.
We had a great season and everyone put forth their best effort.”

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The Eight Hours of Bahrain is scheduled for 2 p.m. Arabian Standard Time / 7 a.m. ET on Saturday.
The easiest way to follow the action is through the MotorTrend+ app which offers live flag-to-flag coverage of the race from Bahrain, while your second-best chance is the MotorTrend channel which will show the first 1.5 hours of the race, and then they come back later in the afternoon for the final 1.5 hours.
8 HOURS OF BAHRAIN

November 2-4, 2023
Bahrain International Circuit
Track Length: 3.36 miles
Corners: 15
Race Distance: 8 Hours
RADIO/TV BROADCAST

MotorTrend Channel:
Part 1: 6:30 AM – 8:00 PM ET
Part 2: 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM ET

MotorTrend+: 6:30 AM – 3:30 PM ET

WEC TV: 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM ET

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The No. 85 Iron Dames Porsche 911 RSR 19 will start the final GTE race tomorrow from pole position after a great 1m58.692s tour of the circuit from Sarah Bovy.

“Once again she did it — we are very proud of her,” said Michelle Gatting, Bovy’s teammate in the Porsche. “It’s important for what we are doing with this project. It’s emotional because of the last race of GTE. It’s not easy, we showed great pace and let’s hope we can finish it.”

Bovy’s time, set with just under five minutes to go, was challenged in the final minutes of the session, but nobody could snatch the top spot from the Belgian, who finishes the season with three pole positions to her name.

Liam Talbot, the late addition to D’Station Racing’s driver lineup, came closest with a 1m58.982s. The time came on his final flying lap, vaulting the No. 777 Vantage from fourth to a spot on the front row.

Talbot’s lap dropped the ORT by TF Sport Aston Martin to third on the grid after Ahmad Al Harthy’s efforts. Takeshi Kimura steered the No. 57 Ferrari to fourth.

Ben Keating, who briefly sat at the top early in the session, will start tomorrow’s race from fifth in the title-winning No. 33 Corvette Racing C8.R.

“More than where we qualified, I’m happy with the lap time.,” Keating said
“That was one second quicker than anything than did in my qualifying simulation. There is so much tire degradation here that it’s a balance between taking care of the tire because we have to race on these same tires and trying to hit the peak of the tire.

“I think the reason I was able to put that lap together was because it was my third one and on the peak of the tire.
I kept trying to repeat it, and I couldn’t. It just wasn’t there in the tire. It’s fascinating how my two laps that were closest to that were seven-tenths of a second off.
Furthermore, it’s worth that much time. I’m happy with the time but also with the result. Tyler (Neff, race engineer)
said before qualifying that he thought a top-five result was possible, and he nailed it.”

Tomorrow’s 8 Hours of Bahrain will start at 2pm local time.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
SAKHIR, Bahrain (November 3, 2023) C8.R Corvette Racing will close its FIA World Endurance Championship season with a third-row start in the GTE Am field for Saturday’s Eight Hours of Bahrain.

Ben Keating set a best lap of 1:59.412 (101.408 mph) during Friday’s 15-minute session to qualify fifth in the No. 33 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R. As he has all season, Keating will team Saturday with fellow GTE Am champions Nicky Catsburg and Nico Varrone with the trio going for its fourth win of 2023.
The Thursday and Friday practice sessions were each in dramatically different conditions, which, if nothing else, gave the Corvette team and the rest of the WEC paddock an opportunity to explore a variety of setups and options ahead of Saturday’s 2 p.m. local start.

Thursday’s practice was interrupted first by a severe wind and sand storm and then by a steady rain shower. The day’s night practice was in dry and cooler conditions, while Friday’s practice and qualifying sessions were in more typical conditions for Bahrain hot and sunny.
The latter gave teams a read on likely conditions for the start of Saturday’s race and the level of tire degradation that will ultimately play a large role in the race’s outcome.
This is the second year at Bahrain for the C8.R, which finished second in GTE Pro in 2022 with Tommy Milner and Nick Tandy sharing the Corvette. Saturday’s race and Corvette Racing’s presence is notable for a number of reasons.

The Corvette team is aiming to cap off a banner season in which it already has claimed the GTE Am Drivers and Teams titles, three race wins including the 24 Hours of Le Mans and three pole-position runs for Keating.
Another win Saturday would give the C8.R a total of 21 victories worldwide in 82 events and close Corvette Racing’s two-year campaign in the FIA WEC with a fifth victory.

It also would send Corvette out as the final race-winner of the GTE class. One of the mainstays of GTE racing since the category was introduced in 2011, the Corvette program also has been one of the most successful with 48 of its 127 worldwide victories coming with GTE machinery which also includes North American wins in the American Le Mans Series’ GT class as well IMSA’s GT Le Mans category.

As much of a coronation as this weekend is for the Corvette program, it also serves as a transition point.
The Corvette Z06 GT3.R is slated to be part of the WEC grid next year in the hands of TF Sport for the LM GT3 category, while the No. 33 C8.R team transitions back to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship under the Corvette Racing by Pratt Miller Motorsports banner.

As in previous races, the C8.R is running at Bahrain with a level of rewards weight due to its successes earlier this year: 15 kilograms for leading the championship and 10 kilograms for finishing second in the previous race at Fuji on top of 10 extra kilograms added to the car’s minimum weight ahead of the Monza round for a total of 35 kilograms five less than at the Japanese round but still the heaviest car in class.
The Corvette also received a two-liter decrease in fuel capacity and a 0.6mm restrictor adjustment to limit engine power.

The Eight Hours of Bahrain is scheduled for 2 p.m. Arabian Standard Time / 7 a.m. ET on Saturday.
MotorTrend and MotorTrend Plus will provide both live television and streaming coverage, as will the FIA WEC app. Radio Le Mans will stream live audio coverage of the race.

BEN KEATING, NO. 33 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – QUALIFIED FIFTH:

“More than where we qualified, I’m happy with the lap time. That was one second quicker than anything than did in my qualifying simulation.
There is so much tire degradation here that it’s a balance between taking care of the tire because we have to race on these same tires – and trying to hit the peak of the tire. I think the reason
I was able to put that lap together was because it was my third one and on the peak of the tire.
Furthermore, I kept trying to repeat it, and I couldn’t. It just wasn’t there in the tire. It’s fascinating how my two laps that were closest to that were seven-tenths of a second off.
It’s worth that much time. I’m happy with the time but also with the result. Tyler (Neff, race engineer) said before qualifying that he thought a top-five result was possible, and he nailed it.”

Final GTE qualifying session: “I’m sure this will be going through my head the entire weekend. I’m driving around at the end of qualifying, and I’m thinking that this is the last time that I’m qualifying this car in GTE. It’s the last time I’m going to qualify in WEC.
It’s been such a special year this year with the Corvette. Even when you qualify fifth and it’s your lowest result of the entire year, it’s still special.”

NICKY CATSBURG, NO. 33 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“I feel like everyone will struggle with tires here. Historically, this track is really rough on tires and everyone will have that issue. But if you take away that issue, we still have quite a bit of deficit in terms of pace. So we need to understand where we can gain little bits of time to reduce that gap. As always, I do believe that with our lineup, we do have a bit of an advantage over some of the other teams.
We need to remain calm and be focused on the race
. This will be more difficult than all other events we’ve done. I’m just going to do my best for the team and enjoy this last GTE race.”

NICO VARRONE, NO. 33 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“For me, this place is very special. Not even one year ago, I arrived here for the rest time and met the Corvette Racing team for the first time.
I was shy at the beginning, I didn’t speak too much and had pressure because I knew this could be big for me. It was a really good opportunity.

I had the desire to do well, but also some pressure that goes on inside. But everything went well. I got to drive and what has happened after that was amazing winning Sebring, Portimao and Le Mans for Corvette on the 70th anniversary for Corvette and the Centenary Le Mans. And now we are champions.
That’s why being here and this whole atmosphere being on this track means so much.”

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
SAKHIR, Bahrain (November 4, 2023) – C8.R Corvette Racing finished seventh Saturday at the Eight Hours of Bahrain to close the 2023 FIA World Endurance Championship and put a cap on a historic season.

Nicky Catsburg, Ben Keating and Nico Varrone battled challenging conditions throughout the season finale in hopes of securing a GTE Am podium finish in the final contest for the No. 33 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Corvette C8.R and the rest of the GTE machinery in WEC.
The championship season included three victories Corvette Racing’s ninth class win at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, at the 1,000 Miles of Sebring in the U.S., and the Six Hours of Portimão three pole positions for Keating and a championship clinch at Monza in July with two races to go.
It was a fitting way for the C8.R and Corvette Racing to close their campaigns in the WEC.

The Corvette Z06 GT3.R is slated to be part of the WEC grid next year in the hands of TF Sport for the LM GT3 category, while the No. 33 C8.R team transitions back to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship under the Corvette Racing by Pratt Miller Motorsports banner.
Keating qualified the C8.R fifth in class Friday, and hopes were high for a run at a sixth podium finish this season.
The green flag brought rare misfortune to Corvette, as Keating had to avoid multiple cars when prototype entries spun and went off-track in front of the GTE Am field.

The C8.R rejoined the track in ninth place and mired in traffic. It didn’t help that the Corvette faced an uphill battle on the performance front with the C8.R 15 pounds heavier than any other GTE Am car and a pre-event reduction in power.
Keating made his first stop just past the 30-minute mark in a strategic call to free him from class traffic. The off-strategy call saw him run as high as fourth in his final two stints of the season before swapping over to Varrone just shy of three hours.

A year after his first laps in the C8.R at the WEC Rookie Test at Bahrain, Varrone rejoined the race in 10th place with the goal of managing the Corvette’s tires, a tough task on a track notorious for high degradation due to its rough surface. Again, the Corvette got up as high as fourth in Varrone’s three stints, and he swapped to Catsburg for the final run with less than two hours to go.
Rejoining eighth in class, Catsburg gained one spot inside the final hour, but didn’t have the performance to get any higher in the order before the finish.

NICKY CATSBURG, NO. 33 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED SEVENTH IN CLASS:

“The result of today isn’t important. If we couldn’t win today, it’s great to see the Iron Dames win. I think they deserved one all season. But we deserved the championship. We celebrated it once, and it was nice to celebrate it again tonight with the team. On the cool-down lap, I was thanking them and I realized that the stuff we accomplished this year was really cool.
We did it with two races to go, but that doesn’t make tonight any less special. I’m super happy and super proud of the entire team, and I can’t wait to work them again in America next season.”

BEN KEATING, NO. 33 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED SEVENTH IN CLASS:

“I didn’t have any contact at the start. There were cars everywhere. I lost a lot of positions but avoided any contact. It was a green and clean race, and unfortunately we didn’t have the pace this weekend. I think it was the price for having a really good strategy all year. It was a magical season and a magical time – the last race for GTE, the last race for me with Corvette Racing and the last race for me in the World Endurance Championship.

It’s still surreal and magical when you think about this season. To have won the championship, to have won Le Mans and had such great results all season long… it’s pretty hard to sit back and enjoy it when you’re as busy as I was out there in the race. But I tried to remind myself of it as often as I could. It’s been a lot of fun.”

NICO VARRONE, NO. 33 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – FINISHED SEVENTH IN CLASS:

“I’m really happy to finish the season with Corvette Racing. It was an amazing year and a fairy tale story.

Driving the C8.R for the final time in Bahrain was really nice, and I’ve enjoyed every minute. This race was tough for us with tires and our performance. Other cars were passing us easily, and we had no power in a straight line.
The only chance we had to match them was trying to save our tires and see if that worked. I tried to be consistent and not make mistakes to lose as little time as possible. Other than that, the Corvette was good. Always here it is tricky with traction and grip. We were just missing power
That’s just how it was. We cannot complain too much. Furthermore, we’ve had an amazing season.”

WECfinish.jpg

Last edited: