Florida hit hard

Roscobbc

Tough times once again for Florida and the south east states once again.......wonder what the insuranace premiums are like there......we've seen here in the UK areas that have been flooded several times where householders have been unable to sunsequently insure their properties. How can people logically continue to live in Florida fully knowing that at anytime they could be 'wiped-out'? - worst case scenarios relating to flood levels here in the UK (even best case scenarios) are not looking too good for many coastal and low lying areas in the UK - and why are developers continally allowed to build on what once were flood plains. Take a look at this interactive map and see where your property could be in future decades if global warming predictions like those below are accurate - Sea level rise and coastal flood risk maps -- a global screening tool by Climate Central

Roscobbc

Re insurance in the sunshine state. Mine is more per month in FL than for the whole year in the UK.
With the supposed 'state' the world is in (or rapidly approaching) it makes you wonder how long before insurers look to withdraw cover in multiply hit areas. That interactive UK of UK is potentially worrying for some - Canvey Island would effective disappear below future sea levels (as would much of central London)........sure, sea and river defences can be reinforced.......but for how long?

antijam

CCCUK Member
Here in the UK our property has been flooded three times in the last twenty years. Not to any great depth and so far structural damage to the house has been minimal. Nevertheless, to get back to the status quo before the flood typically takes about a year. Major flood incidents are newsworthy for perhaps a week - for the poor victims the upheaval can last for years, often not recovering before the next inundation.
The years of recovery from the devastation caused to New Orleans by Katrina in 2005 will certainly be repeated in Florida.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
In Florida, most of the insurance companies pulled out of the state in 2005 after hurricane Katrina. There was only 2 remaining and prices rocketed. Over the years a few returned, but prices remained high.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Take a look at this interactive map and see where your property could be in future decades if global warming predictions like those below are accurate - Sea level rise and coastal flood risk maps -- a global screening tool by Climate Central
Interesting that. I set it to the maximum 60m setting (aka all the ice from Antarctica melting) and you'll be happy to hear that my Corvette will survive that setting - the water is still far from my place. It wouldn't have done if I was at my old house, or if I was at my wife's old house - both would be under water at around half that setting.

Roscobbc

Interesting that. I set it to the maximum 60m setting (aka all the ice from Antarctica melting) and you'll be happy to hear that my Corvette will survive that setting - the water is still far from my place. It wouldn't have done if I was at my old house, or if I was at my wife's old house - both would be under water at around half that setting.
Did the same thing........we're 70 or 80ft above sea level and inbetween two river valleys - these 'feed' the Thames.......in the 'scenario' (all of Antartica melting) as you've noted it'll come close but fall short of where we are. All hypothetical of course........but stranger things happen.....................

Last edited:

antijam

CCCUK Member
Living in the Severn Valley at the bottom of the Cotswold edge we get submerged at 34m - the top is still above water at 60m - time to start climbing? :confused:

Roscobbc

I'm just a little sceptical of the findings........seems to be little difference in lost land between raised sea levels and irrespective of what height you live at it makes no allowances for unexpected storm surges or spring tides (or a combination of both that 'did' for Canvey Island and other low lying places on the Essex and Kent coasts some 70 years ago)