Front Ride Height

Benny

New user
Hi ,
After sharing a picture of my C3 on the forum, I had a comment on how the front seemed to be a bit high. I now seem to agree.
Has anyone done any mods to the front suspension, i.e cutting the front springs?

cheers
Ben

Roscobbc

Cutting front springs can create issues if 'yumping' over a hump back bridge etc - (spring could detach off its seat) more importantly shortening will increase the spring rate. Perhaps better to source a new 'lowered' spring.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You could cut them down like 1/2 coil, test that and if not than another 1/2 coil
Buy shorter ones
Install coil overs
Swap to drop spindles
May need different shock rates

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Is that the front is high or could it be the back low? The rear spring can sag with age. Ideally you want the front the same as the rear, or 1/2” lower at the front looks good and helps prevent front lift at speed. In the region of 28” from the ground to the wheel arch is normal. Don't be surprised if you find a different height on each corner. Check the tyre pressures are correct and the floor is level before you measure.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Yes, both front and back do look a bit high. The car may have been raised to increase ground clearance where the side-pipes pass under the chassis rail at front.
If your car has been raised at the front, it’s either got a non-standard spring in there or a packer has been added under a stock height spring. Raising the rear is by bolt length adjustment.
What size are the tyres? That can make a bit of difference too.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
There are ride height specs in the factory manual. It doesn’t look bad in your profile pic.