Fuel Gauge Problem

uncle albert

Well-known user
Hi All

I'm experiencing some fuel gauge issues with my 1997 C5. Most of the time it works fine, but on longer journeys (above an hour) the gauge often drops to empty and gives a low fuel warning...

I've read about some similar issues in the USA, with most people claiming a fuel/injection cleaner will help things. Has anyone experienced similar issues over hear? As i understand it, our petrol (gas) quality is much better, so wasn't sure whether it is still likely to be the culprit

uncle albert

Well-known user
Hi All

I'm experiencing some fuel gauge issues with my 1997 C5. Most of the time it works fine, but on longer journeys (above an hour) the gauge often drops to empty and gives a low fuel warning...

I've read about some similar issues in the USA, with most people claiming a fuel/injection cleaner will help things. Has anyone experienced similar issues over hear? As i understand it, our petrol (gas) quality is much better, so wasn't sure whether it is still likely to be the culprit

I.m very tempted to say something here..but know i'll get slated for it....well here goes.....could it be, that the reason your fuel guage reads low after an hours journey is that you have used up the fuel...….my vette does about 8 to the gallon...i'd be running on vapour before an hour was out....I'll now wait or the irate replys.....
i

Yellowshark

Well-known user
Not in my case, nor probably any pretty standard C5. At the time of my failure my mpg, reset following tank fill up, was showing 33.6 based on a UK gallon and doing 70-80. Also I think I would suspect any C5 with a full tank to be showing a range of 300-450 miles. Of course if all one does is drive spiritedly to the local shops and back I guess it could be worse than 300 but outside of my knowledge.

Yellowshark

Well-known user
Well with a range left of 162 miles my fuel reading on the DIC popped back up again - which for my car over the years is the normal occurrence

Ruby 2

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Austria29,

I also have an early ‘97 and had the same problem.
i understood from various forums that the copper ‘fingers’ on the sender rheostat inside the tank failed due to our fuel quality. Like many others I now only use Shell VPower, and the occasional bottle of Techron. I also recently changed the offside tank sender unit and filter thinking that must be the ultimate cure but it still happens. Less frequently but it hasn’t gone away.
not much help I’m afraid.
Roo