Garage 56 Camaro in UK this weekend

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The NASCAR Garage 56 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Cup Series car continued its promotional effort beyond the 24 Hours of Le Mans with an appearance this weekend at the British circuit of Brands Hatch.
The Hendrick Motorsports-run machine, which attracted a wide following en route to finishing 39th at Le Mans last weekend, was a key part of the fan zones at the “American SpeedFest” event at the former British Grand Prix venue.

The team’s spare car was on display in pristine condition (the finished Camaro has not been cleaned!) and attracted huge numbers of fans throughout the weekend, all keen to see it up close and get pictures. Some lucky younger fans were also invited to sit in the car and get a feel for its cockpit.

“The media coverage for Garage 56 is just relentless,” IMSA president and NASCAR Garage 56 program manager John Doonan told RACER at the event.
“It just keeps coming, we can’t believe it. Rick Hendrick is so excited by it; we’re sharing links all the time.”

Doonan was on hand to help showcase the car and soak up the atmosphere at what he says is his favorite European circuit, having visited multiple times in the past — including its annual Formula Ford Festival, where he discovered and signed Tristan Nunez for Mazda.

Doonan was also tasked with giving the “Gentlemen, start your engines” call on Saturday before the first of four Whelen NASCAR Euro Series races on the Indy circuit for the annual SpeedFest, which features a wide variety of U.S.-themed support races.

The bill included 70th Anniversary of Corvette races, pickup truck racing and a grid of Bernie’s V8s and Historic outlaws that featured everything from 2000s Chevrolet Monte Carlo Cup cars, a 1979 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 1966 Plymouth Belvedere and a heavily-modified 1970 Triumph Spitfire.

The NASCAR Euro Series itself, which was founded in 2009, features a field of European-based teams and drivers competing in a mixture of Toyota Camry, Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro-bodied stock cars manufactured in France, powered by 5.7-liter V8 engines.
The races are held throughout the year as part of a calendar that features six rounds on European road courses in as many countries.

The Brands Hatch events underscore how NASCAR’s efforts internationally to generate interest for its series are paying off.
The NASCAR Whelen Euro Series enjoyed its biggest season yet in 2022 in terms of fan engagement, viewing figures and attendance, and is in the thick of another strong year in 2023.

On-site for the packed SpeedFest, celebrating its 10th year in 2023, was a delegation from NASCAR’s head office in Charlotte and its International Group, keen to build on the organization’s international presence.

In addition to showing off the Garage 56 Camaro and promoting a heritage parade featuring a selection of Cup Series machinery, NASCAR used the weekend to announce a renewed partnership with Brands Hatch to make the circuit the home of NASCAR in the UK through 2028.

“Brands Hatch has always been one of the highlights of the NWES calendar,” NWES President and CEO Jerome Galpin said.
We work perfectly together with MSV (MotorSport Vision, which owns Brands Hatch) and especially with David Willey (MSV Group Motorsport event manager) and his team.

“In the past 10 years, the American SpeedFest became a huge popular success, and it was a natural choice to extend our agreement and keep bringing the excitement of the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series to Brands Hatch and the amazing British fans.
We are really happy and proud to continue evolving the event and make it even bigger and better.”

Meanwhile, the NASCAR Garage 56 project will keep the promotional momentum rolling at next month’s Goodwood Festival of Speed, where Jenson Button and Jimmie Johnson will take turns running the car up the famous hill climb.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I think they should have displayed the actual car that ran at Le Mans….still in it’s uncleaned state….to give an idea of the punishment these cars go through. And they should have given it a few demo laps if they’ve gone to the trouble to get it there (Rich Rogers was ready to drive it). Still great to see the shiny spare car displayed though, and yes it was getting a lot of attention from the public. Thanks NASCAR

I wonder what the NASCAR delegation thought of our Corvette Anniversary races. Hopefully they watched it!

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Very fine. Should be interesting for unbelievers to see at Festival of Speed - and even more interesting for people to hear!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I wonder what the NASCAR delegation thought of our Corvette Anniversary races. Hopefully they watched it!
They were blown away by the noise apparently.
So were the Euro NASCAR drivers. When you go to the collecting area at Brands you go behind the pit garages. Pro race drivers don’t often come out and nosey around but when we went past to the first quali they all came out of the back of the garages and were videoing us going past.
I’ll post a report on my thread when I’ve recovered!!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
The noise of racing cars is such a key ingredient to motorsport enjoyment. That’s where the Corvettes scored massively over everything else at Speedfest. The Formula 5000s (or Anglo- American as they’re sometimes called) which used be on the Speedfest billing were also superb in that department with their 302 SBC’s reving to 8000rpm. It seems they’ve been dropped by Speedfest.
The EuroNascars on the other hand make an odd droning noise, they all sound exactly the same (because they are) and all change gear in precisely the same spots. I‘m afraid I actually find them quite annoying to listen to!!!
Long live Corvette racing!
Look forward to your report Oneball