Garage 56 ZL1 Camaro Shown at Daytona today

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Garage 56 officials unveiled the look of the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 that’s planned for a special entry into the 100th-anniversary edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The design was revealed Friday in Victory Lane at Daytona International Speedway, with dignitaries from all the project’s collaborators NASCAR, Chevrolet, Goodyear and Hendrick Motorsports in attendance.

The livery – or “paint scheme” for the state-siders – features a dominant bright blue with contrasting gold accents and a pearlescent hood. Logos of the Garage 56 contributors are featured prominently, including branding for the NASCAR 75th anniversary and an American flag design up front.

RELATED: See Garage 56 livery from all angles | Garage 56 gains miles, experience

“That’s a beautiful work of art,” said Jim France, NASCAR Chairman and CEO. “The fans will love it. I got to watch it when they were testing here a couple of weeks ago, watching it run through the chicane with the lights on and everything at night. It’s spectacular.”

The names of the three co-drivers – Jenson Button, Jimmie Johnson and Mike Rockenfeller – arc across the top of the driver-door window. The trio was officially added to the Garage 56 personnel roster on Jan. 28 during IMSA’s Rolex 24 weekend at Daytona.

The project has undergone extensive development and testing since its launch last March at Sebring International Raceway. The car intends to compete at Le Mans as a designated class of one in the June 10-11 endurance event, showcasing those innovations as an invitation-only entrant.

“Everybody in our company has touched this car,” said team owner Rick Hendrick. “So it’s been a major undertaking, but I’m really proud of it, and it’s gonna be fun to watch it over there. I’m gonna be nervous; we’ve got to run 24 hours, but I’m super excited.”

Some of the car’s specifications, based on the Next Gen vehicle that races in the NASCAR Cup Series, were revealed Friday as part of the design unveil. The total weight of the Garage 56 car tips the scales at 2,960 pounds, significantly less than the 3,485 pounds of the current Cup Series racer. Chad Knaus, Hendrick VP of competition, said the target horsepower figure for the car is rated in the “high seven hundreds.”

The G56 entry also carries project-specific Goodyear Eagle racing tires and special aerodynamic devices – dive planes, plus a more robust front splitter and rear diffuser – which have been featured on the test car. That includes a taller rear spoiler – 6 inches vs. the 4-inch spoiler on the current Cup Series configuration. The fuel cell is also larger – 32 gallons for Garage 56, compared to 20 gallons for the Cup Series.

Knaus said trimming weight from the car was a cumulative effect of measures taken from top to bottom. He added that with a full fuel load, the car weighs in near the 3,250-pound range.

“Everywhere, honestly,” Knaus said. “We’ve worked with all of our partners, all of the single-source parts providers from NASCAR, whether it be BBS, AP with the brakes, you go all the way to the shocks, it’s all the way across the board. Everybody pitched in, and we got to work on this program. Everything on the car has been lightened up to the best of our ability – Dallara and us and the folks at NASCAR worked really hard on just about everything.
It’s got composite disc brakes. The wheels are lighter than what the NASCAR Cup wheel is. So really front to back. Five Star stepped up, they got us lighter body panels. It’s everywhere. It’s not just one thing, it’s the whole thing.”

The next step in the testing comes a day after Sunday’s Daytona 500 (2:30 p.m. ET, FOX, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio), with the Garage 56 team loading in for two days at Sebring. The test car made extended on-track stints during the Jan. 31-Feb. 1 sessions at Daytona, but next week’s plan is a first go at a 24-hour run.

“Monday, we’re going to run through first thing in the morning, all the drivers, just to get them in the car, get them comfortable really quick. And then our intention is to start what we’re going to consider a 24-hour test at about 10 o’clock in the morning or maybe 11.
We’re going to have one break for lunch right straight away, and then from there on out, we’re going to go until 11 o’clock the next day, so all through the evening and all the next morning.”

Friday afternoon’s unveiling wasn’t as big of a surprise to those who have been working on the project for nearly a year now and had already seen the car wrapped. But for Knaus & Co., it provided a chance for a sneak preview of what’s planning to be a unique entry added to the Le Mans field.

“It’s not as awe-inspiring for me because I’ve had my hands on it the whole time,” Knaus said. “So you guys are seeing it for the first time, but when they flicked the lights on there and pulled the cover off of it, I was like, ‘Man, that’s a proper race car right there.’ With the way Greg (Ives, crew chief) and Ben (Wright, G56 program manager) and the whole group are working together on this project, I think the folks in Europe are really going to be impressed of what the NASCAR community’s capable of putting on the racetrack. It’s a spotless race car.”

garage56.jpg

Attached below I included design spec differences in a PDF of this Camaro at 2,900 pounds to Camaro NASCAR which is 500 pounds heaver

Attachments

• Garage-56pecs.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Jenson Button said he views his unexpected inclusion into the NASCAR Garage 56 project as the “first stage of getting back into serious racing.”

The Briton was confirmed as one of the three drivers that will pilot a modified Next Gen Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Cup car at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, teaming up with Jimmie Johnson and Mike Rockenfeller.
While Johnson and Rockenfeller have both been deeply involved in the program since development started last year, Button only joined recently.

The 2009 Formula 1 world champion turned his first laps behind the wheel of the car during a two-day test session at Daytona International Speedway immediately after the Rolex 24.
Button revealed that his introduction to the project came when he was invited to attend a test outing at Sebring International Raceway in December.

“They said, ‘Why don’t you come on over’, so I flew from Los Angeles overnight,” Button said.
“It was actually Rocky that said come [to the] test, and he asked John Doonan if I could come along and he agreed.

“So I came out to the test and texted Jimmie before, saying, ‘I’m coming to watch you test.’
turned up a bit scruffy and a bit tired, went out to the track and watched the car everywhere around the track.”
Button said that the sensation of watching the V8-powered Chevrolet lapping the 3.7 mile Florida circuit reawakened his passion for the sport.

He has not raced in a full-time capacity since the conclusion of his third season of Super GT in 2019.
“I stood out at the track at Sebring and I felt like a kid again,” Button said. “That’s what I want from motor racing.
“I spent my whole career in F1 and I retired from F1 because I wanted to do something new in racing. I wanted to do other things.
“So I’ve done a few things, I’ve raced in Super GT in Japan, raced at Le Mans, done a few other things, GT racing.
“So when I saw the car on track, it put a big smile on my face. That love came back for racing, and I was like, ‘Show me where to sign, I’m really interested to work with these guys.'”

Much to his surprise, Hendrick Motorsports Vice President of competition Chad Knaus then invited Button to get behind the wheel of the car during the Sebring test.

“At the test, I went to watch them,” Button elaborated.
“So I watched Rocky driving and I watched Jimmie driving, and then Chad said: ‘Why don’t you just jump in the car?’

“I was like ‘What do you mean, just jump in the car? I’ve not got a helmet, I’ve not got a suit.’ They said, ‘I’m sure you can borrow one.’
“I was like, ‘This is not what I’m used to. I need to prepare for this.’
“They were just so open for me to jump in the car and I think I really liked that, that atmosphere within the team. They’re very serious at what they do, but they don’t take themselves too seriously, which is great.
“This is a really exciting project and won’t go to Le Mans and be slow.
“The car will be competitive, not that we’re racing against anyone, but I’m really looking forward to seeing the other competitors and seeing the fans’ opinion on the car and what we are trying to achieve.”

Button ultimately did not drive at Sebring, instead getting behind the wheel at the Daytona test, where the car ran with newly installed headlights.

The 43-year-old has one previous start to his name at Le Mans, joining the SMP Racing LMP1 outfit in 2018. A 2019 return was on the cards before it fell through, and he was replaced by Stoffel Vandoorne.
“It didn’t happen first of all because I had two children and I did not want to spend time away from home when they were so young with my wife,” he said of his 2019 plans.

“Funnily enough, a couple of months ago my wife said, ‘Please go and race something. You’re annoying me.’
“She understands that passion and that it’s never going to go away. That love for racing, that love for competition, that love for driving cars.
“This is my world, and it’s never going to leave me. As long as the want is still there, the reactions are still there and the fitness is still there…
“I’m 43, so there are a lot of years in my racing career still ahead of me. This is the first stage of getting back into serious racing.”

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
And if you were wondering
The winning purse for the Daytona 500 Sunday starts at 2.30 PM ET is : $26,934,357
And as the saying goes, you're not winning, if you're not cheating

I can assure you, the japs of ToyAda will be cheating like hell ! :)