Garage fans

Letank

CCCUK Member
It’s quite normal to have high ‘relative’ humidity levels here in winter, especially on a cold and rainy day. The cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air, so it takes a lot less to achieve the same % RH.

According to the weather app on my phone, the ambient RH where I live in Warwickshire was 95% at midday today!
View attachment 20775866D8365-2CEA-4646-8B58-F7BAB9ADA3A5.jpeg

Unfortunately it doesn’t feel like being in the Caribbean though 😩

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
It’s quite normal to have high ‘relative’ humidity levels here in winter, especially on a cold and rainy day. The cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air, so it takes a lot less to achieve the same % RH.

According to the weather app on my phone, the ambient RH where I live in Warwickshire was 95% at midday today!
View attachment 20775View attachment 20776

Unfortunately it doesn’t feel like being in the Caribbean though 😩
that makes it feel a bit more understandable le tank. I was surprised how quick the humidity comes down with a bit of heat. I suppose the danger is heating the space up too quickly and causing the cold surfaces to condensate. Although not much chance of that as any form of heat is expensive.
👍

Roscobbc

that makes it feel a bit more understandable le tank. I was surprised how quick the humidity comes down with a bit of heat. I suppose the danger is heating the space up too quickly and causing the cold surfaces to condensate. Although not much chance of that as any form of heat is expensive.
👍
Great that the humidity level comes down with some heat..........but where does it go? - you you are not ventilating surely it still must be present within your enclosed space in some form or other..........is it in 'suspension'?........does re-appear as condensation on surfaces if the heating is turned off?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Great that the humidity level comes down with some heat..........but where does it go? - you you are not ventilating surely it still must be present within your enclosed space in some form or other..........is it in 'suspension'?........does re-appear as condensation on surfaces if the heating is turned off?
Maybe he has his own personal cloud . :unsure: :LOL:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I had heated the main workshop which is well ventilated as one bay has no door yet. Some of that heat has entered the vette room but not enough to raise the temp very much. And so far i have never seem proper condensation on the car or the windows or the steel frame in the vette room like I do in the main workshop. I have had the fans on overnight but it has made hardly any difference to the humidity reading , it was 83 in the morning.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Maybe he has his own personal cloud . :unsure: :LOL:
I wonder what the actual humidity was when the car was in an airchamber ? Maybe just because the car didnt condensate due to the bubble fans moving air over the surfaces I presumed that the humidity was low but the bubble was in what would now be the main workshop so the air would have been the same humid air that I have now. All I know is that my cars in the chambers were completely dry yet my friend’s 911 when left in the other part of my shed while he was away diving would be completely running wet with condensation on days of quick temperature changes. 🤔

Maxxx17

Regular user
It seems to me that even if there was moisture in the chamber, no condensation was formed because of the air flow. Still, condensation is more detrimental to the car than just humid air. In general, when I built a house, I gave up on the project and the garage was built without windows. Basically there is no need for a window, because it faces the fence and there is no view. But a year ago I cut an opening in the wall and put a window in it. It's small, but it helps with air circulation. And also ordered a new entry doors ottawa in which they made me a grid for additional ventilation. I still have a garage is not heated and there in the winter is cold that with an open window that with a grille on the door. It seems to me worse after these modifications has not become. I now began to notice that there is constantly fresh air in the garage. And before that, if we went somewhere, when you come home when you go into the garage air was like a heavy.

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
We're still in that period of very high humidity with the temperature so low. The little house dehumidifier I was using was helping but having to empty the container was a pain in the arse then Bev said why don't you get that huge one from the warehouse which I knew nothing of. So I did and connected it to a tank type condensate pump that discharges to outside when the internal float rises so it's self sufficient and get's the entire two story 36 x 36 down to 50'ish %. Still haven't had the garage AC fitted so I have used on occasion a paraffin torpedo heater but that sends the humidity level soaring and it doesn't taste very nice either :cautious:

When we moved here last year the garage was only part built and had no roof covering so all the roof trusses and joists were exposed as was the bare breeze block walls and concrete floor so sucking the moisture out of all that hasn't helped but it's noticeable that the floors and walls have changed to a lighter colour as they have dried out.

Roll on Summer

Garage weather.PNG

Tattooboy

CCCUK Member
I have a 20mm T&G wooden garage, no insulation what so ever, just a few layers of old carpet on the concrete floor. I've never had any issues with condensation.