Garage fans

Letank

CCCUK Member
If you get a dehumidifier make sure you get one which uses desiccant rather than refrigerant if your garage is unheated. The refrigerant ones don’t really work at low temps below say 5 degC. Desiccant units also throw out a little bit of heat in order to dry the desiccant wheel. As a result, they do cost a bit more to run though.

I recently got myself an Ecoair DD128 after seeing some good reviews on YouTube.

Letank

CCCUK Member
Also, for anyone interested in getting a little Hygrometer + Thermometer for their garage, I have a neat little one that also logs readings and then allows you to view in a mobile app.

Cheap as chips too. Only Β£12 on Amazon

313DB0F7-06B8-4261-9592-018FFCCB8441.jpeg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I presume the gauge is correct, it did shock me. Should I pull air from the main workshop or from outside in your opinion . I will put the gauge outside and see what the humidity is outside. We are in warm /wet cornwall too πŸ‘
If you get a dehumidifier make sure you get one which uses desiccant rather than refrigerant if your garage is unheated. The refrigerant ones don’t really work at low temps below say 5 degC. Desiccant units also throw out a little bit of heat in order to dry the desiccant wheel. As a result, they do cost a bit more to run though.

I recently got myself an Ecoair DD128 after seeing some good reviews on YouTube.
Thanks for that info letank, I had only seen the refrigerant type and thought of the desiccant as a bag of granules often packed with electrical goods and not incorporated in a machine. . πŸ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
88 is like Bali 😬 a fan will not help just circulating damp air you need fresh air. WTF did 88% come from? You doing laundry service on the side πŸ˜†
Well you were right that I needed fresh air , it had remained around 83 even with a fan . When I saw today that outside was 63 I opened the doors and got some fresh air . It is now 63. I have closed main door but left fanlights into main workshop open. Will get a fan rigged up to exchange the inside and outside air next . πŸ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
88 is like Bali 😬 a fan will not help just circulating damp air you need fresh air. WTF did 88% come from? You doing laundry service on the side πŸ˜†
After seeing the high level of humidity in the vette shed yesterday The sun came out a bit and the rain stopped so I opened up the door. This gave it a good airing and brought the humidity down to around 68. I then put two fans through holes in the wall of the vette shed last night. Before I turned the fans on I put my diesel space heater on in the main work shop and left the door of the vette shed open. The main workshop humidity came down to 61% and temp got to 14c . I then turned on the fans and hope to see a lower humidity level. Well, this morning I go into the vette shed and wtf , the gauge is at 92 !!!. I am pulling air from the main workshop into the vette shed, Am wondering if I turn the fans so they are extracting air from the vette shed to the main workshop. Or am I fighting a loosing battle and just need some heat in there ? Any thoughts or suggestions welcome πŸ‘πŸ€”

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
After seeing the high level of humidity in the vette shed yesterday The sun came out a bit and the rain stopped so I opened up the door. This gave it a good airing and brought the humidity down to around 68. I then put two fans through holes in the wall of the vette shed last night. Before I turned the fans on I put my diesel space heater on in the main work shop and left the door of the vette shed open. The main workshop humidity came down to 61% and temp got to 14c . I then turned on the fans and hope to see a lower humidity level. Well, this morning I go into the vette shed and wtf , the gauge is at 92 !!!. I am pulling air from the main workshop into the vette shed, Am wondering if I turn the fans so they are extracting air from the vette shed to the main workshop. Or am I fighting a loosing battle and just need some heat in there ? Any thoughts or suggestions welcome πŸ‘πŸ€”
Air in from outside into the Vette shed and extracted into the workshop. The UK is typically low in humidity compared to other Nations so fresh air is a natural dehumidifier.

My dehumidifier which I must have had over 20 years as we bought it for a previous farm house that had a damp (and scary cellar) is small - I can check the model and duty later is keeping my 36' x 36' double height dry. The first full night it removed 2 ltrs, next was just over 1 ltr and since then it's pulling out maybe 300ml over 24 hours and believe me, where we've moved to we get violent weather this time of year.

When I get the planning issue sorted I'll fit a ducted AC split system and they have a dehumidification cycle (DRY mode) in addition to COOL & HEAT and those are great for drying the car after a wash. Set it to DRY, shut the doors and leave it doing its thing

antijam

CCCUK Member
I live in an area once the centre of a thriving Cotswold wool industry where old water driven Mills abound and although now defunct the water courses that provided the power are still active. Our house and six others are effectively situated on an island formed by a Mill run and its overspill dividing upstream and reuniting again just downstream. This means that after periods of heavy rain we can get flooded as the streams swell but also at this time of year the relative humidity is at saturation level. This was the reading on the bonnet of my C3 this morning, typical of this time of year...

P1370869.JPG

I've had a dehumidifier running in the past but my garage is imperfectly sealed and it struggles to dehumidify the world. These days I've given up the fight and before laying up my Classics for the winter I liberally spray exposed brightwork and electrics with WD40 and give myself a major cleaning task in spring when drier weather returns.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
95% cripes! Can be done though with air movement. A few years ago we designed a new hotel swimming pool air handling unit that dehumidified solely via air changes. Typically they will have a cooling circuit, heating circuit and electronic dampers regulating fresh air input and moist air extract but this one we did without a cooling circuit as there was no where to site external condensing units nor could we incorporate an integral cooling circuit due to excessive noise mitigation issues. Works just fine for this large internal swimming pool and all the moisture it produces.

My garage is like a hermetically sealed box so that helps with mine.

Roscobbc

Am I correct in thinking that a derv/paraffin or propane/butane space heater creates moisture as part of its combustion process.......whereas radiant heat and indirect heating surfaces don't create moisture?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The only place I have experienced 90 % plus humidity was in the Carribean . I know Cornwall cops the full effect of the Gulf Stream but your levels are mind boggling . :eek:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Also, for anyone interested in getting a little Hygrometer + Thermometer for their garage, I have a neat little one that also logs readings and then allows you to view in a mobile app.

Cheap as chips too. Only Β£12 on Amazon

View attachment 20736
Ain`t technology a wonderment ? When I first started out on a career in Building Services engineering we used Nagretti Zambra recorders like this that had a clockwork driven cylinder with graph paper wrapped around it and ink filled knibs on two long arms . Makes me feel old ! :cry:s-l1600.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Be lucky if not seeing high muggy humidity all the time
Take a look at what I have to deal with, esp in summer when 105 F deg daily weather and 100% humidity :(

Best I can think of is there is like 10 small lakes all around of where I live and at night is when this skyrockets
and then takes most of the day for the humidity to come down some

GreenvHumity.jpg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Am I correct in thinking that a derv/paraffin or propane/butane space heater creates moisture as part of its combustion process.......whereas radiant heat and indirect heating surfaces don't create moisture?
I thought the same but the only time the level dropped all evening was when I heated the workshop up with the space heater. Need to get my original plan going which is an oil boiler running several radiators in the vette room and the mezzanine room above. My mission before next winter. πŸ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The only place I have experienced 90 % plus humidity was in the Carribean . I know Cornwall cops the full effect of the Gulf Stream but your levels are mind boggling . :eek:
when it was in the vette room today it was 92 then i put in in the main workshop it read HH which I presume is off the scale meaning High Humidity !