Garage recommendation

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
We're at the risk of discussing apples and oranges here. For an engine fan (or fans) to be efficient they need to be sited on the engine side of the radiator. A suplimentary fan can be used in addition in front of the radiator but its efficienty will be limited.....it needs a shroud/plenem to capture the incoming air and direct it through the radiator......that 'structure' in itself will get in the of the incoming cooling air and the suplimentary fan will loose efficency........I hear someone say "step-up the power, use a bigger fan in front of the rad"......it don't work the fan blade will stall as it tries to force air through the radiator core......minimising the fans effect.
Most people who use twin electric fans mounted to the rear of the rad throw the viscous fan away as there is no room for it now. Remember that the twin electric fans only draw cooling air through an area equal to the diameter of the two fans and not the whole radiator surface..........
The later C3's were factory fitted with an "auxiliary" electric fan, mounted within the normal shroud and in front of the viscous mech fan. GM decided this was necessary to give air-con equipped cars a bit of extra help with cooling. It's a bit odd having both electric and mechanical fans....but they do! (Sorry for taking this further off original topic)

Rowcon123

CCCUK Member
(UPDATE) I know it's been a while but if anyone is having the same problem I hope this helps,

Problem 1 overheating: this was due to a bad fuse holder that connected to one of the fans, cut it out and soldered another inline fuse in there, that sorted that.

Problem 2 alternator: this has taken me many months to figure out and after 3 alternators and rebuilding one 2 times I have finally found the problem,
The battery light that is supposed to connect to the alternator to energise the fields was connected to 12v with no resistance, this should be a connection from ingition through a charge bulb or a resistor.

The problem is now fixed by running an inline 1/2 w 470ohm resistor to the charge light terminal on the alternator, this has fixed all issues and she is running sweeter than ever.

Again I hope this helps and thanks to everyone here for the suggestions and help 👍👍