Good bye '72

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Being on this side, that actually sounds kind of weird. Over here, the number/name on tag issued regardless of when or what it was on originally, can be applied to the new ownership of vehicle, as long as that tag not currently in use and being transferred properly.

It's now become a huge money maker for the Gov.uk as they used to be issued into circulation but now they are sold. There are rules on spacing though that means you have to be creative with some reg Numbers to create a name or initials. I once saw B16 DEX on a Volvo and asked the guy if he would sell it as my youngest son is called Dex and he's a power lifter. The placement of a black screw or bolt would easily make it look like BIG DEX

GHR630

New user
In the eighties, DVLA issued age related plates commensurate with the import date, not first registration.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Well, the empty void left in the garage was keeping me awake in the night and before the wife unit could allocate the Vette funds elsewhere I picked up another LT-1. I was actively looking for a 66 or 67 when the Vette news dropped on the mat and inside was a 71 LT-1 not far from me. Took a look last Saturday and secured a deal. It was drivable but having not moved for years and having very old rubber I decided it wasn't worth the risk so I'm arranging transport. It's a numbers matching car but has a colour change from Ontario Orange to Yellow :censored: so I'm going to reverse that. Some BOZO trimmed the front arches to fit big daft wheels & tyres so that needs to be fixed and there's a small puncture on the nose where some other BOZO run a bolt too far and pierced the fibreglass. Smog is missing but I have a lead on date correct replacement. Not much in the way of original docs save for the handbook and a partial tank sticker but there are tons of records & receipts from through the years. First order of business this weekend hopefully will be a steam clean to get rid of what I'm told is 17 years of being in a barn type building. Barn find ?

Attachments

• 20190413_125247_resized.jpg
    20190413_125247_resized.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190413_125322_resized.jpg
    20190413_125322_resized.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190413_125308_resized.jpg
    20190413_125308_resized.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190413_125430_resized.jpg
    20190413_125430_resized.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 27

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Now that's just showing off! Can't wait to see it in it's original colour, as that is what my 72 came out of the factory sporting and mine's going to need a respray in due course too.

Aren't you Yorkshire area Jimbo ? My bud is in the process of getting a '66 T Bird done at a place in York so I've reached out to them, sent them pics and spoke to the man and he said 'no problem, easy job' I've got before & after pics of the Bird and the workmanship looks very good

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Aren't you Yorkshire area Jimbo ? My bud is in the process of getting a '66 T Bird done at a place in York so I've reached out to them, sent them pics and spoke to the man and he said 'no problem, easy job' I've got before & after pics of the Bird and the workmanship looks very good
Sadly no, Aberdeen. Do have a few good sprayers around me though, just a case of justifying getting her done.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Spent the weekend neglecting everything else to work on the mellow yellow but managed to meet up with some Manchester Car Show Veterans for a day out and beers. Last year I purchased a portable car lift so dragged it 'out back' raised the car up and got down & dirty pressure washing all the crud off. Degreased the engine bay and hosed that down covering the intake of course. Vacuumed the inside and then cleaned the paint. Removed the rocker covers and fitted some cleaner spares I have so I can polish up the originals and refit. Rerouted some vacuum tubes and wires for a cleaner look. Removed and cleaned the rear light lenses. Removed and started sand blasting the front grilles to see if they can be salvaged as very expensive to replace. Replaced some blown lamps and checked all chrome items to see what can be saved or refurbished. Reached out to two known quality painters only to be told there's more money in quick collision repairs so they're no longer doing full resprays.

Attachments

• 20190420_140524_resized.jpg
    20190420_140524_resized.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190421_152419_resized.jpg
    20190421_152419_resized.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190413_125308_resized.jpg
    20190413_125308_resized.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190421_002428_resized.jpg
    20190421_002428_resized.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 23

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Items on the wish list include:
New antenna. (incorrect one fitted)
New air cleaner lid. (Existing badly dented?) used as a frisbee at some point..
New rocker to air cleaner base elbow & hose. (existing been used to knock nails in it seems)
Offside door mirror. (got to be safe just in case I feel the need to shoot across 3 lanes of motorway as some do!)
Handbrake console. (cracked, don't lean on this when reaching in the car)
Drivers sun visor. (ripped)
Rear plate surround. (can't be re-chromed)
BB hood inserts. (can't be re-chromed)
Spark plug shields x 4 (missing)
New front spoiler. (grounded many times)
Maybe new front grilles assemblies. (ouch)
Door weather stripping. (perished, a wipe of silicon now and then does wonders!)
Sourced a date correct smog pump and all accessories. (not needed but a nice 'ornament' to have. If I do it, it won't be functional..)
New radio to replace the junk one in there.

Ignition shields & exhaust tips have gone to re-chrome.
Door sill covers I'm hoping will polish up to remove scratches ?
Maybe remove the modern seat belts and replace with period correct.
Mechanic is sourcing date correct Holley to replace the double pumper fitted & choke system that is missing.
I had the car transported the 100 miles or so as it hasn't moved in 17 years and it proved to be the right thing to do as not one of the lug nuts was snugged, all were hand tight only!

Any doctors in the house that can advise on what internal organs aren't required and what their value might be?

Whoops Interior pic in the post above was the before clean up

Attachments

• 20190423_114310_resized.jpg
    20190423_114310_resized.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 12

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
All I did was polish & drive!

I like the portable car lift BTW

My garage being 300 odd years old is quite low so that was my only option really. My 'work' generally only extends to polish & drive too but the red LT-1 being 'done' (are they ever!) so I needed a project of sorts which I fully intend to do as much as possible on myself. It's easier nowadays with the interwebs with detailed descriptions and 'how-too's'

sublimemike

Well-known user
The door cills will polish up great if you take them to a proper polisher. The hard part is getting them off. On most of mine the screws snapped and I had to drill em out. Not much fun doing it on the deck but you will be grateful of that lift. I matched up the screws with stainless ones and put nylock nuts on the back with washers if needed.

73Roadster

New user
I'm not one for letting any classic car sit idle and having only put on 400 miles in the last two years I decided to let the 1972 coupe find a new home. I didn't advertise it anywhere but I was asked if I would consider selling and I agreed. It all came to a head today when I received my new log book transferring my V8 VET plate to my daily beater - a V6 and not a Vette :p It's going this weekend to an enthusiast and prior C3 owner and what I'm sure will be a good home and hopefully to be driven more often.

View attachment 1206
is the plate for sale

Corvette

Well-known user
I too bought one of those scissor lifts at the weekend, had my doubts before seeing one in the flesh. Brilliant piece of kit. 240v but needs every bit of a 32amp breaker as the draw on start up is over 20 amp. Car sits solid as a rock and when not in use takes up no room under the car.IMG_3355.JPG

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I too bought one of those scissor lifts at the weekend, had my doubts before seeing one in the flesh. Brilliant piece of kit. 240v but needs every bit of a 32amp breaker as the draw on start up is over 20 amp. Car sits solid as a rock and when not in use takes up no room under the car.

Yes they're not perfect but do allow decent access and areas and as you say rock solid. My exhaust just catches so I have to lay a couple of planks of wood either side to gain the inch or two required. I went for the air over hydraulic version as I have a decent compressor and it sat in the upright position for 6 weeks without backing off any at all.