greystar

Roscobbc

Hi Greystar - perhaps best fill-us all in on your C3, what year, engine and if there are any modifications to the engine......it could effect choice of fuel.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
A C3 was not designed for Ethanol, as that gas makeup did not even exist at that time
The least amount used, the better, for the older fuel system
Ethanol causes a leaner AFR, so you might have to adjust the carb and timing to reduce getting engine knock

Depending on the model year, may not even be designed for non-leaded gas

Custom exotics

Well-known user
Super plus is lowest ethenol content in UK if u rather use cheaper fuel normal unleaded then have a garage check and replace any rubber lines that are not ethenol safe ie from steel chassis line to engine fuel pump if carbed ,fuel pump to carb and a couple at the tank end

Roscobbc

Quote from Esso - “Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England)"

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Esso Synergie Supreme + is 99 RON and ethanol free unless you live in Devon , Cornwall , North Wales , North of England and Scotland in which case it has 5% Ethanol . I use the Synergie Supreme but always have a Millers Ethanol Protection additive to hand for emergency fill ups when I cannot ger to an Esso station .

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here in the USA, gas brands are all dump their raw gas that goes into a common pipeline all over the country
It is the supplier who delivers to the gas stations that adds the amount of Ethanol and cleaners
Many are crooks who are for high profits so since the Ethanol is cheaper, what this pump into the stations
underground tanks, instead of like E10, could be E15 or more

If in doubt what you're really getting from a station is a quick test
Being Ethanol attracts water as an example test
You can either buy a test bottle like this or you could make one

Add water to the blue line, since water is heaver it will fall to the bottom
Then fill with the gas, shake it a bit and let it stand a few minutes
ANY water in that gas will then fall to the bottom and raise the water line
So you know that exactly how much Ethanol percent you're pumping into your gas tank

Ethtestor.jpg

Since water drops to the bottom of your gas tank, and you use no product to dry that out
over time there will be a lot of water in the tank, so best not to run the engine with 1/4 tank or less.

The same happens with gas stations, here they are supposed to keep their tank clean and purge out water
IF not doing that, then that water also is being pumped into your tank

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Here in the USA, gas brands are all dump their raw gas that goes into a common pipeline all over the country
It is the supplier who delivers to the gas stations that adds the amount of Ethanol and cleaners
Many are crooks who are for high profits so since the Ethanol is cheaper, what this pump into the stations
underground tanks, instead of like E10, could be E15 or more

If in doubt what you're really getting from a station is a quick test
Being Ethanol attracts water as an example test
You can either buy a test bottle like this or you could make one

Add water to the blue line, since water is heaver it will fall to the bottom
Then fill with the gas, shake it a bit and let it stand a few minutes
ANY water in that gas will then fall to the bottom and raise the water line
So you know that exactly how much Ethanol percent you're pumping into your gas tank

View attachment 21539

Since water drops to the bottom of your gas tank, and you use no product to dry that out
over time there will be a lot of water in the tank, so best not to run the engine with 1/4 tank or less.

The same happens with gas stations, here they are supposed to keep their tank clean and purge out water
IF not doing that, then that water also is being pumped into your tank
Why I wonder, do we not have a drainable water trap/filter/ thingy in the bottom of petrol tanks to let the water out a few times a year🤔

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Why I wonder, do we not have a drainable water trap/filter/ thingy in the bottom of petrol tanks to let the water out a few times a year🤔

You know since Ethanol is made of corn that it produces microorganisms that grow in the gas tanks
This is why since the C5s that the fuel float sensor reports the amount of gas in the tank incorrectly as that crap
eats the masking of the sensor as it uses resistance
I had to replace the left pump and float on my '99 some years ago and looks like it will have to be done again :-(

Float.jpg

Also, Ethanol eats the transfer tube gaskets where they join the 2 tanks
and to fix that the whole ass end has to come out :-(

Also affects the fuel filter and the screens of the fuel injectors so keep them clean

F Ethanol

c6tanks.jpg

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
You know since Ethanol is made of corn that it produces microorganisms that grow in the gas tanks
This is why since the C5s that the fuel float sensor reports the amount of gas in the tank incorrectly as that crap
eats the masking of the sensor as it uses resistance
I had to replace the left pump and float on my '99 some years ago and looks like it will have to be done again :-(

View attachment 21550

Also, Ethanol eats the transfer tube gaskets where they join the 2 tanks
and to fix that the whole ass end has to come out :-(

Also affects the fuel filter and the screens of the fuel injectors so keep them clean

F Ethanol

View attachment 21551
bloody men in suits flying to davos in kin great private jets to legislate that to save the planet the plebmobiles must put this shite in their tanks !! What a joke !