Gutted!!!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
As the cracks look deep and wide there may well be flexing and distortion to the chassis to consider too . The cost of having it re - jigged and checked doesn`t bare thinking about on top of the repair work .
At least the surrounding metal looks thick and not too corroded so maybe a stress fracture rather than rusted out so looks pretty straight forward welding job once stripped for access. You are in good hands at CK๐Ÿ‘

Roscobbc

TBH I was expecting to see far more 'movement' than that - surely chassis flex and general suspension movement (other than the direction its supposed to travel) is all part of the general 'inprecision' of any car. 'Dial-in' movement from rubber bushes on 'A' arms and other links, sideways movement from trailing arms etc, etc and you will run the risk of getting paranoic. Decide to replace all of the rubber suspension components with poly bushes and other trick components and certainly the car will handle much better - but here could well be a downside.........NVH

Last edited:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
TBH I was expecting to see far more 'movement' than that - surely chassis flex and general suspension movement (other than the direction its supposed to travel) is all part of the general 'inprecision' of any car. 'Dial-in' movement from rubber bushes on 'A' arms and other links, sideways movement from trailing arms etc, etc and you will run the risk of getting paranoic. Decide to replace all of the rubber suspension components with poly bushes and other trick components and certainly the car will handle much better - but here could well be a downside.........NVH
Thats true, although stiffening the chassis means that itโ€™s the suspension that determines the ride and handling and not the chassis moving.

It would be interesting (and probably alarming) to see the amount of flex / twist across front to rear of a C3. Only a fitting a full roll cage is going to make any difference to that.

I was in a queue of traffic on a bumpy lane once. I had the engine switched off and because the road was downhill, I was just letting the car roll when needed. The amount of creaking and groaning from around the car was quite noticeable, like being on an old ship!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I thought all my creaks and groans were down to the driver ! Maybe I should get my timbers re caulked too ? :LOL:

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Chassis welding complete and such a neat and professional job by the surgeons at CK. I decided against the tie/spreader bar but thanks for the heads up guys. Will be great to get out in it again soon.

Wow, that seems like a very quick turnaround - I should have driven over for them to do my trailing arms! :D