Gutted!!!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
You would benefit from a Spreader Bar between the two top wishbones - it will reduce Chassis Flex and improve handling - ask Scott if you are interested, there are different configurations of brackets and you need to clear pulleys etc

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
You would benefit from a Spreader Bar between the two top wishbones - it will reduce Chassis Flex and improve handling - ask Scott if you are interested, there are different configurations of brackets and you need to clear pulleys etc
yes ive seen these and they look good as well as serving a purpose. do you know anyone in the uk retailing them?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Have you got one on your car Barry? I’m aware of them but can’t recall seeing one fitted on anyone’s car. I’d be interested to know if they make a noticeable difference.
I know you can get “offset” upper A-arm shafts, described for using to correcting geometry where the chassis has “sagged”. Sounds alarming to me but it must be a known issue or they wouldn’t sell them.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I guess we are talking about strut braces here ? If so I really doubt that any driver would notice the difference when driving on public roads within the legal limit . Unless you do lots of track days of course . I have always been of the mind that Strut braces are just boy racer bling that serve no practical purpose in every day driving .:unsure:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
.....Hence my question. The C3 has a relatively low plane across the chassis / suspension compared to a conventional monocoque passenger car with tall McPherson strut turrets - where I can appreciate the brace might help for performance driving.
The radiator surround is considered structural on a C3 so does offer some bracing.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Have you got one on your car Barry? I’m aware of them but can’t recall seeing one fitted on anyone’s car. I’d be interested to know if they make a noticeable difference.
I know you can get “offset” upper A-arm shafts, described for using to correcting geometry where the chassis has “sagged”. Sounds alarming to me but it must be a known issue or they wouldn’t sell them.
Hi Andy I do have one, the main reason was after seeing the crack on the chassis of my friend's 69 427 on which he was doing a body off
My Tie Bar was fitted at the same time with new poly bushes, steering components, shocks and 550 springs so would not be possible to note a difference re the Tie Bar alone
I understand what you mean about the lower plain on a C3, but that lower plain (if I am correct) actually helps prevent the rectangle going rhomboid
The Tie Rod is a brace and as seen on other Vettes, there is chassis flex in that area so it can only help by reducing the constant reversals of stress

Knowing about the cracks, I would put one on any C3 regardless of how it was driven, because the chassis loads up at the point of the inside wishbone on a turn, regardless of high speed - I used to think the cracks only happened on big block cars, but I was wrong.
Does the Tie Bar help handling - yes it has to especially for spirited driving.

Handling - getting the car professionally set up - or getting the car professional set up correctly - a chalk and cheese transformation - a correctly set up standard C3 can handle better than a C3 with all the enhanced suspension and steering components - too many C2, C3 owners are missing out they think they have a 40 year old plus car and the handling is par for the course.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Hi Andy I do have one, the main reason was after seeing the crack on the chassis of my friend's 69 427 on which he was doing a body off
My Tie Bar was fitted at the same time with new poly bushes, steering components, shocks and 550 springs so would not be possible to note a difference re the Tie Bar alone
I understand what you mean about the lower plain on a C3, but that lower plain (if I am correct) actually helps prevent the rectangle going rhomboid
The Tie Rod is a brace and as seen on other Vettes, there is chassis flex in that area so it can only help by reducing the constant reversals of stress

Knowing about the cracks, I would put one on any C3 regardless of how it was driven, because the chassis loads up at the point of the inside wishbone on a turn, regardless of high speed - I used to think the cracks only happened on big block cars, but I was wrong.
Does the Tie Bar help handling - yes it has to especially for spirited driving.

Handling - getting the car professionally set up - or getting the car professional set up correctly - a chalk and cheese transformation - a correctly set up standard C3 can handle better than a C3 with all the enhanced suspension and steering components - too many C2, C3 owners are missing out they think they have a 40 year old plus car and the handling is par for the course.

Have you got a photo of your brace?

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
The bracket fits to the two bolts and yes mine lines up with the front bolt, there are various ones depending what you have to clear - this pic is of one from Speed
Direct

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’m considering going off the front pivot bolts on mine but need to see how it’ll work when rad and fan are in.
36849E8A-58D0-457C-A094-98489B12BBE9.jpeg

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I believe there are some companies that offer the Tie Bar with the brackets in component form ie; you weld up the bracket to suit your particular application

Nosheruk

Well-known user
As some will know been spending time refurbing interior fitting new bits to engine and waiting for a new dewitts rad and fans to come from the states. thought while i was waiting id spend some time painting the inside of the engine bay as a lot more will be seen with the fan and shroud delete. You cant imagine the disappointment felt when i found this. Both sides needing some pretty extensive welding. Ive got the experts at CK on the job starting next week but requires engine out and wishbones removed to get to it to do it properly. :cry: Im sure a lot of you guys on here already know about this area but also a check for guys thinking about buying a car.

Wow that is damn scary:cry:. I suffer anxiety and this would put me on tablets if this was my car.

Before spending too much money, i would get a borescope camera and check inside your frame. It may look ok from the outside but could be rotting from the inside. Just a thought.

regards
Norman

Last edited:

Sea5

CCCUK regional rep
I have a tie-bar / spreader-bar on the front of my 1981 C3. It was originally supplied by VBP and installed by the previous owner. The car handles and steers exceptionally well for a 40 year old and I would certainly recommend them. I also have the rear kit from VBP which has not been fitted yet. I'm apprehensive as it will potentially need to be re-shimmed after install to get the alignment / camber correct. I have recently read that this company (VBP) sadly went bust in late 2018. Similar products are available from vendors in the States. Here are some photo's.210212 VBP parts (1).jpg210212 VBP parts (2).jpg210212 VBP parts (3).jpg210212 VBP parts (4).jpg

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
jI also have the rear kit from VBP which has not been fitted yet. I'm apprehensive as it will potentially need to be re-shimmed after install to get the alignment / camber correct.
You will definitely need to reset the camber, but the beauty of these struts is how easy it is to adjust them. Loctite on the locking nuts is advisable.