Halfords classic oil

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has used Halfords classic oils ,is it any good or is it a no no .
I can’t find any zddp ratings for this oil .Your thoughts cheers

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has used Halfords classic oils ,is it any good or is it a no no .
I can’t find any zddp ratings for this oil .Your thoughts cheers
Been using it for years in my Morris Minor's Rover V8 and no issues, but not in my C3, used Millers, which was recommended by a few on here.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I haven't used Halfords Oil, I've been using Millers for many years. I have to say, a few alarm bells ring with Halfords as it is produced by Comma. Now, way back in the 70's, when I was in the motor trade, Comma had a rather poor reputation as being "re-cycled" oil. For that reason I've never used it.

I have nothiing against Halfords products as such, but I'd prefer to spend a little more to get an oil with a very good reputation.

The ZDDP figure can be misleading. The days of just buying the oil with the highest ZDDP have gone and now the other ingredients in the oil can alter the effectiveness of ZDDP. So, some oil manufactures do not list an actual figure, but prefer to tell you that the optimum amount is there.

Roscobbc

/|\
Everything Kentvette said above. There is an optimum concentration of ZZDP which I recall is 1200 ppm - go above that and it has as detrimental an effect as insufficient ZDDP concentrate. You'll struggle to find most makers actually state the specific content - you'll see vague references like "sufficient" and "correctly formulated for the older engines"..........

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
/|\
Everything Kentvette said above. There is an optimum concentration of ZZDP which I recall is 1200 ppm - go above that and it has as detrimental an effect as insufficient ZDDP concentrate. You'll struggle to find most makers actually state the specific content - you'll see vague references like "sufficient" and "correctly formulated for the older engines"..........
Yes I did notice a lot are a bit vague which doesn’t help us much ,who are trying to prolong our engines life .

Roscobbc

I wasn't aware of that - I'll check out how much that is for 5 litres - best price online usually for ZR1 mineral is £30. Miller's is £26/£27

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
I wasn't aware of that - I'll check out how much that is for 5 litres - best price online usually for ZR1 mineral is £30. Miller's is £26/£27
Think it’s £19 which is cheap,about £26/£27 with postage for 5l

Last edited:

Vaughan watkins

CCCUK Member
I have read poor reviews on the Halfords classic oil in the past (cant recall where though), I have used the Heritage oil shown above in my 66 when i first got it on recommendation from DART corvette and have recently gone back to Valvoline 20/50 racing oil as it now has the Zinc additive in it,(did not have it for a few years) i have used Valvoline in my 75 corvette for 23 years and is available locally rather than the heritage I had to order in, I like to still use local businesses where I can thus im back with Valvoline, but I had no issues with the heritage oil :D

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Every business needs to be competitive and there are companies out there that buy in large volumes and can go to a Brand supplier and say I want product "X" but I want it at a particular low price - The product quite often gets made to a different lower cost spec to facilitate the business, but is marketed as the original or similar to it.

You will find this in abundance in the DIY stores with Brand name paints and Brand name bulbs etc., they can be of a lesser quality than the same appearing items sold to the smaller independent retailers.

knowing some specific cases relating to the above, I now no longer have the same confidence in buying a Brand name product from a large scale vendor, that I would have with the same Brand from a small retailer.

There is a lot of merit in "You get what you pay for"

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
I have read poor reviews on the Halfords classic oil in the past (cant recall where though), I have used the Heritage oil shown above in my 66 when i first got it on recommendation from DART corvette and have recently gone back to Valvoline 20/50 racing oil as it now has the Zinc additive in it,(did not have it for a few years) i have used Valvoline in my 75 corvette for 23 years and is available locally rather than the heritage I had to order in, I like to still use local businesses where I can thus im back with Valvoline, but I had no issues with the heritage oil :D
Cheers Vaughan it’s always nice to get different views from everyone and then to make a decision hopefully for the best .
As you say I do also like to buy locally if possible.
Touch wood I’ve not had any oil related problems over the years and hope to continue that way .

phill78

CCCUK Member
Cheers Vaughan it’s always nice to get different views from everyone and then to make a decision hopefully for the best .
As you say I do also like to buy locally if possible.
Touch wood I’ve not had any oil related problems over the years and hope to continue that way .

i think if you change the oil regular you will be ok with halfords oil
i have used it for 4 yrs in the pace car
mind you my wifes hoover makes more power lol

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
i think if you change the oil regular you will be ok with halfords oil
i have used it for 4 yrs in the pace car
mind you my wifes hoover makes more power lol
Did buy a couple of cans so will use it up then maybe look at the other brands. Ha ha yes probably makes more noise to lol 😂

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
i did see c3 with LS swaps
anyone dropped a hoover in theres lol
i did see c3 with LS swaps
anyone dropped a hoover in theres lol
Have you done any headlight upgrades on your Pace think mine are still US headlights although it did have an mot when I got it but I suppose it’s who you know .I didn’t know wether to change them or not as it doesn’t need an mot now.

phill78

CCCUK Member
Hi m8 have you done any light conversions on yours or have you left them as they are .I think my headlight are still us ones and not Uk models .But it did pass the mot as is but I suppose it’s who you know when it was done .

hi my car came from japan so need to do head lights
i did do stuff to the engine
still need to do the steering done as its scary
i really want to get it to scott at corvette kingdom
but dont want to give it away then the weathers good2018-09-12 17.05.12 engine bay.jpg
so maybe at the end of the yr