Happy 40th birthday for the C4

Roscobbc

Always fancied buying a B2K Callaway, came very close on a couple of occasions but as they were coupes I held back knowing I would really want a convertible.
I have that itch again at the moment, maybe I’ll scratch it? Who knows.
Coupe or convertible, with the aero body they look great
View attachment 20366
I think much later in the production run of Callaway TT's I thought you could acyually order a ragtop.

Roscobbc

I bought an 1984 that year
After owning multi C3s it took time for me to not hate the body lines of C4s
It was the wazers who whined like punks :) that the suspension was too stiff, but us hardcore Corvette racers loved it
Was the first Corvette to pull more than a G in corners and the '84s were instant winners in track and auto-cross races
so much so that series like SCCA kicked us out, including GM, which is why GM started the Corvette challenge series
and later SCCA begged GM to come back to their races.

The clamshell hood was a winner, made it real easy to work within the engine bay
I liked the digital dashboard, the 2 negatives was the engine was a wimp and the 4+3 tranny was a dog.
I never used the 3 overdrive gears and the 4 speeds when replacing with 3.73 or 4.11 diff gear was a killer for track use

I reduced overall weight of the C4, even rid the 60 pounds of hatch glass with Lexan which reduced the unspung weight,
did a 4 corner height to weight to shift weight to center and car really hauled through corners
Much the same American 'mindset' relating to the suspension 'softness' for the earier C3's - GM's Slalom F41 suspension option seemed to be considered far too hard and uncomfortable for many Americans. For the European market the Slalom option was actually considered too 'soft' bu a number of motoring journo's as I recall.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think much later in the production run of Callaway TT's I thought you could actually order a ragtop.
You could order convertibles right from the start of the B2K option. Far more coupes were ordered than convertibles.
I also wanted an auto that was available as a option from 1988. So my list gets longer as it would also have to have the aero body.
I know of one about, but it’s big money, and my middle name is Ebenezer. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Last edited by a moderator:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
At least you had the period rear window Louvres to help keep you cool

Yes I agree, almost a must as the closer living to the equator the higher the sun's UV rating and adds another 10–15 degrees of heat index
which dries the hell out of everything in the cabin area which cracked top of dash and seat covering
Get in and the steering wheel can burn the hands and the louver helped to keep that sunlight out
though made it harder to see out the back, had to look between the slates

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Don't forget the Speedster:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
They also make interior so much darker inside. I had one on my 1969 Shelby when dad bought it for me. Loved it.

Roscobbc

You could order convertibles right from the start of the B2K option. Far more coupes were ordered than convertibles.
I also wanted an auto that was available as a option from 1988. So my list gets longer as it would also have to have the aero body.
I know of one about, but it’s big money, and my middle name is Ebenezer. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
With you on that one Nassau - interesting car the Callaway - relatively low revving small block with two very well matched turbo's giving the same kind of 'kick in the pants' performance as an earlier big block from very low rpm.......and they pulled, and pulled all the way up to 140/150 mph with a 'soundtrack' much like a boiling kettle inside the cabin!

antijam

CCCUK Member
And don't forget the Jankel Tempest.....

Jankel Tempest.JPG

...allegedly a 200mph C4 - although how much Corvette remained in the build to achieve this is debatable. :unsure:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
As having gone over 200 MPH myself in a modified C4 ZR-1 I would have to say the Vette above would have lift problems over 140 MPH
Look at all that airflow/lift under it, no venting in hood to reduce uplift and those big mirrors is lots of drag
No front downforce mods and no rear wing, and I'd have problems in seeing those speeds with a ragtop
No sign of roll cage, in the USA speed events would not allow without one

And look at that front nose, lots of resistance/drag, speed killer

Last edited:

Roscobbc

OK, so not a Corvette......and 310 mph (not 200 mph) but interesting from the point of view what actually needs to be done if you 'really' want to travel fast!

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Strange place to keep your hair........oh well Brexit did some odd things!
Just another thing/downside those Brexiteers didn't tell you about? I'd be trying to get it back, but with all the paperwork/admin required, probably not worth the bother? ;)