Harmonic balancer

Richard Evans

CCCUK Member
Hi Folks. Had the car running today and noticed the dreaded wobble on the harmonic balancer. What do i need to replace and where is the best place to order the parts. LS2

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Richard
Balancer cost is about $250 US plus, depending on if wanting a stock one or a racer type
Also, should change the serpentine belt and check that the idler pulley or bearing did not get damaged

Just an idea on pulley parts
Balancer and Bolt
Check local to you on costs

You MUST replace the bolt as it is a one time torque to yield design,
If you mess up putting the new one on, it is stretched and is then trash and need another new one

Power steering pump has to be taken off engine block
Have to loosen up and move the steering rack out of the way, along with brake lines on driver's side

Need the engine locked down to assure when torquing to spec the new bolt that engine does not turn causing
incorrect torque setting

If needed, find a way to lock the engine down with a tool vendor's sell
I made mine shown below, it replaces the starter to lock flywheel or [ flex plate (tool is different) ]

If not wanting that bolt to get loose in the future, vendors sell a tool like I have below that allows you to bolt
a jig up and then drill bit drills a hole on the edge of the center of pulley and crank for a key pushed in
to lock pulley to end of crank

crankpulleytools.jpg

Review this forum thread when I installed an EVS supercharger on a C6 as it has photos that show crank pulley bolt, etc

Installing EVS SC'er

Some photos further down that page or
click on "Install EVS" to see more photos in a slideshow

nobolt.jpg

Last edited:

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
Good advice above, just to add, I would suggest buying an aftermarket pulley, not a GM one, as they are prone to wobbling/failing again. Personally I opted for a 'Powerbond Race', along with an ARP bolt, that can be reused. :) It is also worth replacing the oil seal behind the pulley.
If your car has high miles this is a good time to replace your chain tensioner (mine had broken), oil pump and more, but it's a lot more work and unnecessary in most cases.
All of the above is diyable, but it does take time, mostly because the steering rack needs moving to access the crank pulley bolt.