Have you had difficulty in resolving a particular issue on your Vette?

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Yes, many years ago, mine was down to an Alternator Bracket repeatedly shearing a support and at times the securing bolt into the Head - the assembly was all present and correct and the belt lined up correctly, I even changed the particular bolt to a high tensile one and that bolt head sheared off, I ended up removing the Head to remove the headless bolt - obviously a case of excessive overhanging weight and vibration, but a standard high output Alternator from Ecklers, correct Brackets and no engine vibration issues, never got to the bottom of it, but all went away when changed to a serpentine system for another reason.

Roscobbc

Yes, many years ago, mine was down to an Alternator Bracket repeatedly shearing a support and at times the securing bolt into the Head - the assembly was all present and correct and the belt lined up correctly, I even changed the particular bolt to a high tensile one and that bolt head sheared off, I ended up removing the Head to remove the headless bolt - obviously a case of excessive overhanging weight and vibration, but a standard high output Alternator from Ecklers, correct Brackets and no engine vibration issues, never got to the bottom of it, but all went away when changed to a serpentine system for another reason.
Harmonics Barry - its all down to harmonics. Your issue seems peculiarly to have affected a few C3's - you'll see it when the engine is running at certain RPM - vibration at that RPM seems to intensify and you'll see the vibration intensified by the bulk of the alternator - its was obviously an issue with mine at some point in the past - you can see where one of the brackets fractured and was welded-up. Just that simple weld-up was possibly enough to minimise any future harmonic effects..........

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Yes, despite changing intake manifold and carb and distributor for new stuff, and having it setup with new jets and tuned on a rolling road, I still can't shake my low rev stutter and fast launch cut out issue I have. Granted its much better now, and doesn't happen anywhere near as often, but its still there. Oh well, not doing fast launches is probably better for the drivetrain anyway :ROFLMAO:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Harmonics Barry - its all down to harmonics. Your issue seems peculiarly to have affected a few C3's - you'll see it when the engine is running at certain RPM - vibration at that RPM seems to intensify and you'll see the vibration intensified by the bulk of the alternator - its was obviously an issue with mine at some point in the past - you can see where one of the brackets fractured and was welded-up. Just that simple weld-up was possibly enough to minimise any future harmonic effects..........
Thank you Ross it is a shame you did not tell me that when I was busy repeatedly replacing one of the Brackets - is Harmonics one of those things you get when you have had the engine Tuned??

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Yes, despite changing intake manifold and carb and distributor for new stuff, and having it setup with new jets and tuned on a rolling road, I still can't shake my low rev stutter and fast launch cut out issue I have. Granted its much better now, and doesn't happen anywhere near as often, but its still there. Oh well, not doing fast launches is probably better for the drivetrain anyway :ROFLMAO:
Are you running contact breaker points or electronic?

rubyragtop

Committee Member
Oh yes, a number of years ago, the Toad alarm fitted to my UK spec C5 started to 'misbehave' and needed replacing. In somebody's wisdom, this was placed in the void between inner and outer front wings. The only access to this entailed the removal of the wing, just to get to 2 screws and a wiring block. Not an easy task for someone with basic knowledge and even more basic toolkit.