Having an oil disaster...

Tinkydo

Regular user
Hi Everyone,
I could do with some thoughts on my problem please. 1973 C3 454
Ever since I did an oil change my oil pressure is high and I'm "using"/ "leaking" oil, I mean its everywhere!!
Rocker seals are lovely and dry (they weren't) oil filter is lovely and dry (it wasn't). Exhaust pipes are clean and the engine oil is clear too.
I have no idea what oil was it in before the oil change but I've put in 20/50 following forum advice and seeing what others used.
I'm wondering if it's too thick and it's coming out of the pressure overflow? I live in South West England and only really run the car when it's over 10ºc.
Car runs sweet as a sweet thing, it's not smokey and the water temp sits perfectly.
Any ideas or advice gratefully received.
Thanks All
Tinkydo!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
How high is high?
When you say there’s oil everywhere do you mean on the floor, over the engine or somewhere else?

Oil pressure is limited internally by a valve within the pump itself. So if you’ve got 100psi on the gauge the relief valve in the pump assembly has become stuck or Bubba has been there.

Tinkydo

Regular user
How high is high?
When you say there’s oil everywhere do you mean on the floor, over the engine or somewhere else?

Oil pressure is limited internally by a valve within the pump itself. So if you’ve got 100psi on the gauge the relief valve in the pump assembly has become stuck or Bubba has been there.
Its running at max (70) while running and drops only slightly on tick over.
The oil is under the whole of the underside and on the floor when standing but I can't establish where its coming from as there's droplets everywhere (think 12 bore shotgun spray!)

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
I don’t want to teach granny to suck eggs but are you sure you haven’t over filled with oil? First thing I would do is clean up the oil as much as possible, make sure there’s enough oil in the engine and start it. Then have a good look around to see where it’s coming from. Oil filter? Filler cap? Sump plug?

Tinkydo

Regular user
I don’t want to teach granny to suck eggs but are you sure you haven’t over filled with oil? First thing I would do is clean up the oil as much as possible, make sure there’s enough oil in the engine and start it. Then have a good look around to see where it’s coming from. Oil filter? Filler cap? Sump plug?
:) deffo not over filled, filler and filter are both dry, sump plug was my next plan.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Check around the sump gasket once you have cleaned up or have you checked that already ?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just had another thought . How long have you owned the car ? Do you know if it has a standard oil pump or has someone possibly fitted a high pressure pump ?

Roscobbc

Have you used the correct oil filter?
Does the car have an aftermarket dipstick and tube ? (aftermarket assemblies can be shorter than stock units - therefore allowing you to overfill the engine) - a double check question - when you filled with oil up to the full level did it use more than 5 litres?
Linked question to above - is dipstick ouer tube fully sealed in the engine block? - if not and the sump is overfilled it will be blown under crankcase pressure out of the joint and all over the underside of the passenger side of the block, exhaust and floorpan.
What happens when you run the engine with the oil filler cap removed?
What is indicated oil pressure when warmed-up at idle?
Oil pressure on stock (or modified with high volume pump should be about 30-35 on idle and perhaps 45-50 or a little more at speed.
And this wasn't like this when you last used the car (and before oil change?)

62 C1

CCCUK Member
Check your oil pressure sensor hasn't taken a know too. Unlikely but damaging it could leak oil and muck up your pressure reading.

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Hi Everyone,
I could do with some thoughts on my problem please. 1973 C3 454
Ever since I did an oil change my oil pressure is high and I'm "using"/ "leaking" oil, I mean its everywhere!!
Rocker seals are lovely and dry (they weren't) oil filter is lovely and dry (it wasn't). Exhaust pipes are clean and the engine oil is clear too.
I have no idea what oil was it in before the oil change but I've put in 20/50 following forum advice and seeing what others used.
I'm wondering if it's too thick and it's coming out of the pressure overflow? I live in South West England and only really run the car when it's over 10ºc.
Car runs sweet as a sweet thing, it's not smokey and the water temp sits perfectly.
Any ideas or advice gratefully received.
Thanks All
Tinkydo!
I would recommend 5/30 or 10/30,,20/50 a bit too heavy,,I use 5/30 had no probs

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I don`t see how 20W 50 can be too heavy for a `73 Vette . I have used nothing but Valvolene VR1 Racing 20W 50 in mine with no problems at all .

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Reason I use 5/30 or 10/30 is UK climate is mostly low,,it's just makes cold starting lubrication better specially in the winter,

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Reason I use 5/30 or 10/30 is UK climate is mostly low,,it's just makes cold starting lubrication better specially in the winter,
20 W 50 is good for minus 6.7 Degrees C to plus 37.8 C . I doubt many UK C3 owners drive their cars outside that cold start ambient temp. range .

Budgie

CCCUK Member
20 W 50 is good for minus 6.7 Degrees C to plus 37.8 C . I doubt many UK C3 owners drive their cars outside that cold start ambient temp. range .
Just my opinion,I prefer thinner oil,to get into all the nooks and crannies quicker on initial start up,sure 20/50 fine but not for me

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Always used 20/50 in all my old cars. That’s what went in them when they were new. Didn’t hurt them then, won’t hurt them now.

Budgie

CCCUK Member
As I said it's personal opinion,,as is what fluid you use in the gearbox,,diff ,power steering etc

Roscobbc

I don`t see how 20W 50 can be too heavy for a `73 Vette . I have used nothing but Valvolene VR1 Racing 20W 50 in mine with no problems at all .
As Chuffer sez.....IF we were living in Iceland or perhaps a Nordic country, yes, then use a thinner oil.