Headlamp indicator.

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
Just wondering, should the headlamp indicator on the centre console stay illuminated when the headlamps are locked in the up position ? 1971 model

antijam

CCCUK Member
I'm assuming you're referring to the fibre-optic indicators? These simply funnel light from the appropriate bulb, so if the indicator is illuminated, so is headlamp.

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
No, on the central console where the five gauges are. Just to the side of the top two gauges there are four rectangular indicator lights, I know one of them is blanked off, so ignore that one. One of them states headlamps.
Should it be illuminated when the lights are up ?

R

Rogueone

The light comes on when you turn them on, a switch on the light mechanism breaks the power to the dash when they are fully open. I have seen switchs on e bay recently

antijam

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the post. Your query made me check mine again and yes, it works exactly as Rogueone states! I don't do much driving in the dark.......

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
I don't do much driving in the dark.......
To be honest nor do I, but if it's on the car I like these things to work. I did get cought out last year and found the headlights to be pretty poor, so over winter I'll change the bulbs out to the Phillips GT 200's , seems to be the cheapest and best option.

antijam

CCCUK Member
...... but if it's on the car I like these things to work......
Me too, and that lamp was something on my mental list to sort out until your query prompted me to check - and of course it does work!
Trouble with UK light units is that now not all the fibre optics work. Headlight optics are a bit unnecessary - it's usually pretty obvious if a bulb has gone, but since they're there I'd like them to work - how to sort that out? :unsure:

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
Trouble with UK light units is that now not all the fibre optics work. Headlight optics are a bit unnecessary - it's usually pretty obvious if a bulb has gone, but since they're there I'd like them to work - how to sort that out? :unsure:
Blimy you've started me off now, while me front lights are out I'll have a butchers, the back optics work reasonably well.

Nick B

CCCUK Member
Took my '71 out for a run today and can report that my light does the same, comes on for a second when I raise the headlamps and then off. To be honest I'd never even noticed it before!