Headlight question

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi , when you dip yr lights on a c3 vette do the beams dip right or down ? Do we need to change our sealed beam units for english ones that dip to the left. If so which ones should i buy and where from. TIA ๐Ÿ‘

Roscobbc

With 5 3/4 'old school'type lamps one pair should dip down and to the left (the other pair simply on/off) it only later projection type lamps that are universal rhd or lhd and cut-off the upper part of the beam spread. You could try these people for the lamp replacements ~ ASSEMBLY - 5 3/4" HEADLIGHT, DIP & MAIN BEAM H4 (Each) - Classic &AMP Vintage Car Parts from SVC - The Best Prices ~ (there will be others) worthwhile considering the Xenon bulb upgrade - significantly improved light output - EU legal and same of very similar electrical consumption as stock so perhaps unlikely to overload your wiring.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
With 5 3/4 'old school'type lamps one pair should dip down and to the left (the other pair simply on/off) it only later projection type lamps that are universal rhd or lhd and cut-off the upper part of the beam spread. You could try these people for the lamp replacements ~ ASSEMBLY - 5 3/4" HEADLIGHT, DIP & MAIN BEAM H4 (Each) - Classic &AMP Vintage Car Parts from SVC - The Best Prices ~ (there will be others) worthwhile considering the Xenon bulb upgrade - significantly improved light output - EU legal and same of very similar electrical consumption as stock so perhaps unlikely to overload your wiring.
Roscobbc, thank you for that , very helpful and informative . ๐Ÿ‘

johng

CCCUK Member
Yes pretty easy. If you are going to use the side lights then it's worth reading this post. TimP did a very professional job of cutting the bucket to access the sidelight terminals, I managed to do it with less effort by bending the terminals.

72 C3 Rebuild - Headlight Housings

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Speaking to the previous owner in the US, he says I can adjust the lights to not dazzle oncoming traffic but I was under the impression that it is the lens that directs the beam left when dipped.
I think buying the correct lights best option. ๐Ÿ‘

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If you adjust them to the left so they donโ€™t dazzle oncoming traffic you wonโ€™t be able to see and remember it affects dipped and main on a combined lens.

Roscobbc

Quad headlamps on a Vette (or any other quad headlamp UK vehicle like Capri, Rover and a few others) will have one pair of headlamps 'main beam' only. The other pair will be dual filament, main beam/dip beam. In all cases whether main beam only or main/dip (and whether RHD or LHD markets) the main beam irrespectively will point straight ahead and will be universal for both RHD and LHD markets . It will only be the 'dip' filament that will dip down to the left (or right for LHD applications). Simply adjust main beam of single filament bulb and dip filament of dip/main beam lamps accordingly. Why use a sidelight bulb - you'll need to have the headlamp flaps up at all times. As for having 4 no. dip/main dual filament lamps - would the electrics cope with the additional load? certainly not without a relay I'd guess! Always select the optional, legal 'brighter bulb option for lights that are vastly improved.
The real issue with a C3 is when the sealed beam lamps are OEM and a close equivalent to the light output of a candle at 37 watts or similar. Some people Stateside have used ridiculously bright aircraft landing lights for main beams - apart from being illegal the current drains can be much higher than stock.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I fitted the same light units that Johng has used - (I probably recommended them!) with the H4 bulbs. That has allowed me to get away without fitting resistors etc. I had to change to eft hand dipper here of course, but the improvement over the units that were in there (normal UK spec sealed beams from say a Stag, is amazing! I can actually drive at a reasonable speed in confidence on dipped beam and, the main beam will have cars a kilometer up the road flashing me up in disgust!

I didn't go for the side light option, so I just blanked out the hole with the grommet supplied. You will need to re-adjust the lights after you have fitted the new units by the way, they do not seem to be a plug and play fit and the beam pattern was a good bit lower than the old units.

johng

CCCUK Member
Steve, I think it was your recommendation for my headlamp units, thanks for that. I've used the sidelights in them so that I can put amber bulbs in my front indicators. Apart from possibly an MOT I'll never actually use the sidelights anyway.