Hello from a new member, and my first question - UK MOT headlight compliance

Greetings from a new member.
After many years of hankering, following a test drive of a demo’ C6 way back in 2008, I’ve decided ownership of a C6 is on the not too distant horizon.
With seemingly so few UK market C6 available, most that I’m seeing for sale are ‘imports’ without the HID headlight washers ; is this a problem for the MOT test?
Are the non-UK specification C6 equipped with headlight levelling for the HID headlights too?
TIA
Mark

Last edited:

MrNoisy

Regular user
Greetings from a new member.
After many years of hankering, following a test drive of a demo’ C6 way back in 2008, I’ve decided ownership of a C6 is on the not too distant horizon.
With seemingly so few UK market C6 available, most that I’m seeing for sale are ‘imports’ without the HID headlight washers ; is this a problem for the MOT test?
Are the non-UK specification C6 equipped with headlight levelling for the HID headlights too?
TIA
Mark
Mark,

Hi, welcome, good choice :D

UK specific cars have headlights that dip to the left and EU cars have headlights that dip to the right, necessitating a change of unit between those markets. USDM cars have a flat beam profile which means they work for both LHD and RHD markets. My US C6 (Sans washers/levellers) passes the MOT legit each year without issue. If a car didn't have them originally it doesn't need them for MOT.

There "may" be a slightly different requirement if you are importing a car less than 10 years old which would then also need an IVA. Believe me, it is not a myth that in places the IVA and MOT can contradict each other! If you're importing anything 2011 or older it'll have no more issues with MOT than any other car.

Lot's of info on here and elsewhere but US cars need work on DRL's, side repeaters and rear indicators.Many ways to skin a cat and you just have to decide what you want. I went down the switchback led route as i didn't want to add any more lights and also wanted to keep the US 'look' as i'd owned and driven my car over there for so long.

As an example of difference between IVA and MOT - The IVA will require an indicator to be within certain measurements/size/location, of a specific brightness and visible from angles/distances etc. Must not interfere with other lights and more. An MOT tester simply checks the presence and function of an indicator. Makes sense if you think about it, otherwise we'd all be converting 1960's imports to current EU motoring regulations!

Of course there is some other schizzle like radio freq's, TPMS sensors etc but honestly, that stuff is an irrelevance.

Good luck
Ritchie

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
My US import is much the same as Ritchies, although our rear indicators are in different places. Mine doesn't have auto headlight levelling or washers and passes MOT's just fine. The headlight units were always designed for Xenon dipped beam, so no issue of dazzling. :)