Help/advice please

mickn

CCCUK Member
On 23rd December I put my 73 into the local garage for an mot, they have mot'd it many times before. Whilst there I thought I would get them to change the oil, filter, plugs, points, air filter and flush the cooling system and re-fill. Anyway, they rang me to tell me that the rad was leaking so no point doing the cooling system until that was sorted, they also didn't change the plugs. I picked up the car, took it home, about 5 minutes round the corner and put it straight in the garage as it was raining. The following Monday (28th) we decided to give the car a run, having owned the car for 18 years it never fails to start just about first time every time, even if left for a couple of months and runs so smooth and quiet. Anyway the car took about 5 attempts to start and wouldn't tick over, I finally managed to get it to the top of the drive whereupon it cut out. I got it going again and sat there with my foot on the throttle to keep it going and we left with it not running well at all. Once warm it did run as it usually does. On returning we noticed that the freezer and the tumble dryer in the garage were covered in black deposits from the exhausts, see photos, this has never happened before and the top of the drive was the same from sitting there keeping it running initially. I put the car away and today (Friday) we gave it another go. Again, 4 or 5 attempts to start, stopped at the top of the drive and this time once I got it going again plumes of grey smoke from the exhausts. Took the car out and again, 10 minutes or so before it settled down and ran smoothly. On returning I decided to wash it and I got talking to my neighbour who is fairly knowledgeable regarding cars having built his own Caterham. I explained the issues to him and then ran the car for about 10 minutes, again continuous grey plumes of smoke, he seemed to think it was more like steam than exhaust fumes, admittedly there was very little normal exhaust smell. Anyway we checked the oil levels and the newly installed points all seemed ok. My question is , do these new problems seem like something the garage could have caused, bearing in mind they only changed the points, oil and filter, or has something else occurred purely by coincidence? Any advice, thoughts would be welcome.

Attachments

• Tumble.jpg
    Tumble.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Freezer.jpg
    Freezer.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 11

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Could be coincidence, they could have knocks something or put the leads back wrong.

I’d say that is soot from running rich.

Check the plug leads are on in the right order and the cap is on right. But I’d think most likely might be the choke. Have a look at the rod that connects the choke to the spring in the manifold and see what position the choke is in when cold and warm. You can google the specs.

Roscobbc

What /|\ he said - plus - the atmosphere has been quite damp for the last couple of weeks - exhausts certainly when cold will be full of condensation (perhaps your grey smoke) - perhaps find out exactly what garage did to the car before sending it back?

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I had terrible black smoke and bad running once due to dirty petrol that caused problems in the carburettor.

mickn

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the comments and help. Re the choke issue, I don't think the choke has actually worked since I had the carb rebuilt a few years ago because since then when I start the car it always starts first time and settles straight into a steady 600-700 rpm idle. Would you think this means it doesn't work or does it perhaps just do enough to start the car? Rosscobbc, I will definitely speak to the garage this week when they re-open, perhaps have more idea then.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I'd also have a good look at all and any vacuum lines that run to and from the carb (not totally sure what the 73 has!). You said the garage changed the points - what about the timing? Do they have a vacuum advance in 73? Check that.

I have experienced a coupe of instances of poor running/starting. In one case, one of the vacuum hoses had inadvertently been wrongly routed, (by me!) trapped and had collapsed. Replacement cured the issue. On another occasion I discovered that the fuel filter seal had disintegrated and dirt had entered the carb. It took a long time to sort that out, a strong blast with an air line being the final solution!

And yes, do look at that choke.....

mickn

CCCUK Member
Looks like I might have got to the bottom of the problems..........as an advisory on the mot the garage mentioned the fuel hoses to the pump beginning to perish, at least one is definitely now leaking