How to prep and paint number plate filler.

stiej1977

CCCUK Member
Just purchased the number plate filler for the front number plate recess on my c4’s bumper.

The filler is silver which is wrong because my cars black.

any advice on how to prepare and repaint and relaquer the silver one to make it black to match my car?

I presume it’s fibreglass. as it’s such a small piece that sometimes isn’t used anyway maybe GM just used steel or plastic?

l’ll just be using it for show.
Thanks

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The tricky bit will be maintaining definition of the “corvette” script.

I’d lightly sand the surface and put top coat straight on to that.

If you’re going to use a primer don’t use a filler primer.

If there’s paint on the back you can try a non visible area first.

stiej1977

CCCUK Member
Thanks. Yes agree I don’t want to “fill in” the corvette script and want to retain all of its original definition.

Shouldn’t I strip the silver paint first? It’s plastic (I’ve found out) so what will strip paint off plastic that won’t ruin the plastic?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks. Yes agree I don’t want to “fill in” the corvette script and want to retain all of its original definition.

Shouldn’t I strip the silver paint first? It’s plastic (I’ve found out) so what will strip paint off plastic that won’t ruin the plastic?

That’s the difficult bit. With it being plastic finding a way of removing the paint that’s not going to affect the plastic is tricky.

Most of the mild paint removers won’t do anything and the aggressive ones could melt the plastic. You could try some on the back and see what happens.

A soft blasting medium such as walnut would probably work but is it worth the cost?

You can also sand the surface and place a rag over it soaked in thinners. That can work well if it’s cellulose again try it on the back first.

Custom exotics

Well-known user
Do not paint stripper it ,maybe get a bodyshop to paint it for u should cost no more than £80-100 to get it done trying it yourself and it going wrong will cost you a lot more in the long run (just being honest here)

stiej1977

CCCUK Member
Thanks all. It arrived yesterday. Made up with how it looks on the car. Shame it wasn’t black already.