Impending roadtrip

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
G'day all - well things have moved with DVLA (finally!) A letter arrived Friday last, advising of the issued registration number (not a V5 so I can't yet put the personal reg on it so it's currently wearing some DIY plates. I drove it on Sunday for the first time and am suitably impressed - it feels so agile and planted compared to my Camaro, great feedback thru the steering and SO responsive mid-range - I think I'm smitten. Anyway - we have a roadtrip planned for September to go stay with family in the Dordogne in France - I was planning on going in the Camaro but wifey is v keen to go in the Vette. We've taken the Camaro to Europe several times and I've always toted along a bag of spares & tools just in case ( never had to use them but if you don't take them...) Apart from a spare drive belt, any suggestions what I should take along? Or does any local member have such a kit of bitz I can borrow/replenish?
Cheers,
Ed

Last edited:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Congrats on the paperwork - the list starts here
Fire Extinguisher
Torch
It is a C5 so not that old and I am C3
So let the C5 aficionados advise

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
Yup, already in my Camaro kit, along with a myriad of fuses, bulbs and relays etc plus some hand tools. And the most importatnt thing of all; duct tape and a slack handful of cable ties! I was thinking of maybe a selection bulbs, a belt and go from there.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If this is a C5 then read the owners manual and learn how through the DIC diagnostic mode to look for any error codes that might trip and what they mean
or for like $100 (US) get an ODB-II code reader/scanner
If access to Amazon look at the OBDLINK M+ as it does both and comes with software to work on cellphone and a laptop.
This uses a Bluetooth interface that plugs into the DLC under the dash

Might be worth getting some Mass Airflow spray cleaner and clean inside MAF before going along with cleaning or replacing the air cleaner and
making sure all is tight between MAF and throttle body so no unmetered air leak.

Also, might want to clean the inside of the TB.

Depending on when it was serviced, last is also via Amazon is get a can of SEAFOAM
Put half of it in gas tank and other half into the engine oil, and it helps clean any carbon buildup, so engine runs well

Worth doing is re-torque the intake manifold as over time can be a little too loose and cause AFR problems
If doing a lot of driving, maybe check the tranny and rear end fluid levels before leaving on your trip

Rich

Administrator
The French insist on warning triangle, hi-viz in the car (one for each occupant - have to be put on before exiting car). They used to insist on breathalyser kits and spare bulbs but that seems to have stopped. Headlight adapters required.

I always carry an inflator and jump start battery.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Ed looks like you are going to need a full overhaul and then you can fail your own Breathalyser in France
Do not go, get the alcohol here and save your money and the Breathalyser and some fuel

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
If this is a C5 then read the owners manual and learn how through the DIC diagnostic mode to look for any error codes that might trip and what they mean
or for like $100 (US) get an ODB-II code reader/scanner
If access to Amazon look at the OBDLINK M+ as it does both and comes with software to work on cellphone and a laptop.
This uses a Bluetooth interface that plugs into the DLC under the dash

Might be worth getting some Mass Airflow spray cleaner and clean inside MAF before going along with cleaning or replacing the air cleaner and
making sure all is tight between MAF and throttle body so no unmetered air leak.

Also, might want to clean the inside of the TB.

Depending on when it was serviced, last is also via Amazon is get a can of SEAFOAM
Put half of it in gas tank and other half into the engine oil, and it helps clean any carbon buildup, so engine runs well

Worth doing is re-torque the intake manifold as over time can be a little too loose and cause AFR problems
If doing a lot of driving, maybe check the tranny and rear end fluid levels before leaving on your trip
Thanks for this - very comprehensive. I'll look at these recommendations.

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
The French insist on warning triangle, hi-viz in the car (one for each occupant - have to be put on before exiting car). They used to insist on breathalyser kits and spare bulbs but that seems to have stopped. Headlight adapters required.

Yup, got a small attache/photographers case with all that in which we use with the Camaro. Was already debating a small booster-thing as my guys at work have several and they seem useful. Thanks Rich. Might increase my AA cover too..... :)

PhilV8

CCCUK Member

If it's a US import, you don't need the beam benders as they are flat beam and not very bright in the first place :).

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But if it hasn't already got a column lock bypass fitted - you'll be needing one soon!
Another cleaner way to deal with CL issues is I turn off within the PCM tune calibration
and if the vehicle has auto tranny also tune that

1. Column lock
2. Limp Mode
3. Abuse mode
4. VATs

Along with that, add another 30 plus flywheel HP and much better torque allowed from low to mid-RPM range

vsllimp.jpg

Rich

Administrator
If it's a US import, you don't need the beam benders as they are flat beam and not very bright in the first place :).
True, but if you have them, the police can see them and won't query it. Far more preferable than trying to explain (in French) why a car on UK plates doesn't need them because the lights are US spec on a flat beam. This may work - "les lumières sont des spécifications américaines sur un faisceau plat"

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
True, but if you have them, the police can see them and won't query it. Far more preferable than trying to explain (in French) why a car on UK plates doesn't need them because the lights are US spec on a flat beam. This may work - "les lumières sont des spécifications américaines sur un faisceau plat"
Merci bien!

Last edited:

Stingray

CCCUK Member
How do I check if the car has had that done Stingray?
Is the steering wheel "locked" when the car is parked and ignition key withdrawn? If so, there's no bypass fitted.

C5s are infamous for leaving owners stuck with cars where the engine has started but the car can't be driven because the steering remains locked. DIC gives a message along the lines of "service steering lock".

The "column lock bypass" is a small wiring loom that just plugs in behind the steering column. It prevents the steering lock engaging while at the same time satisfying the car's computers (BCM) that all is well. Recommended.

You can get the bypass from various sources, including Keef at Eurovettes in UK.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Another common glitch on C5s is the HVAC control module. (Air conditioning controller in the dash under the radio). Many cars suffer a fault where the green display goes very dim. This is caused by poor soldering when the units were built, known as "dry joints". An exchange unit can be quite expensive but the alternative is to carefully dismantle the unit and resolder the problem transistors. I did mine by following a helpful Youtube video. Worked a treat.

By the way, you'll find plenty of information about CLB (column lock bypass) installation on Youtube as well.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Another common glitch on C5s is the HVAC control module. (Air conditioning controller in the dash under the radio). Many cars suffer a fault where the green display goes very dim. This is caused by poor soldering when the units were built, known as "dry joints". An exchange unit can be quite expensive but the alternative is to carefully dismantle the unit and resolder the problem transistors. I did mine by following a helpful Youtube video. Worked a treat.

By the way, you'll find plenty of information about CLB (column lock bypass) installation on Youtube as well.
Yes and is an easy fix doing it ourselves rather than paying big bucks for another HVAC head
Here I took mine apart, re-soldered the joints and then fired the head unit up on a work bench to show the before and after
doing the repair
Depending on the head version, there will be either 4 or 8 surface resistor packs, reflow their solder joints.

HVACresolderpacks.jpg

HVACbefore.jpg

Notice how much brighter the LCD digits are when work done

HVACsoldered.jpg