Impending roadtrip

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Is the steering wheel "locked" when the car is parked and ignition key withdrawn? If so, there's no bypass fitted.

C5s are infamous for leaving owners stuck with cars where the engine has started but the car can't be driven because the steering remains locked. DIC gives a message along the lines of "service steering lock".

The "column lock bypass" is a small wiring loom that just plugs in behind the steering column. It prevents the steering lock engaging while at the same time satisfying the car's computers (BCM) that all is well. Recommended.

You can get the bypass from various sources, including Keef at Eurovettes in UK.

Also, can reduce the CL failing is since the C5s there is enough current load and voltage drop that when low enough there is a not enough power
to change the state of the CL relay
Good idea to use a battery tender when Corvette sits.
I have done this for 15 years on my C5 and same battery still is good and that is at some times being on the maintainer for multi winter months

Still turning CL off in a tune is clean and not have to take anything apart

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I went through the same thought process Edd when I was planning a European Trip (which I did not do in the end)
But in the course of ensuring all avenues were covered I took the car to Topcats and asked them to change the oils and Filters and put a spanner all over the Vette to ensure all was good, I have had Header bolts and Caliper bolts work loose before - they found that I had lost a bolt out of the Prop mounting - Could have been nasty - Worth a Spanner check especially as the Vette is new to you

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Blimey!
In September we are taking our 130k mile 1978 Corvette to Albertville, in the Alps, for 4 days of "fun" with the Corvette Club de France, returning via a short run into Italy.
I'm not taking half the stuff mentioned here! :oops: :):)
Yellow 2, you seem to have most "bases covered", as Rich says, you'll need the triangle, hi-vis jackets and first aid kit. You will NOT need a breathalyser (don't be conned by ferry co,s Eurotunnel Halfords etc), but beam deflectors are a good idea. You'll also need a "GB" badge now. And you no doubt know you will need your V5 and MOT (originals, not copies), plus insurance "green card" and, driving license of course.
I do carry some spare bulbs in the 'Vette, but not in our modern car.
When we lived in the UK we had breakdown cover that included Europe for our foreign trips, which I'd say is the most important thing, along with a cellphone that works here!
We've been stopped by the Gendarmerie once in 17 years, by a chap who wanted to look over the car more than anything. In our dealings with "les flics" on events like the Tour de France, we have found them to be charming and polite. Unless you're behaving like some of the 'riff-raff" who come to Le Mans each year, you'll probably get no more than a thumbs up!

Last edited:

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
I went through the same thought process Edd when I was planning a European Trip (which I did not do in the end)
But in the course of ensuring all avenues were covered I took the car to Topcats and asked them to change the oils and Filters and put a spanner all over the Vette to ensure all was good, I have had Header bolts and Caliper bolts work loose before - they found that I had lost a bolt out of the Prop mounting - Could have been nasty - Worth a Spanner check especially as the Vette is new to you
That not a bad call, I know Warren at Top Cats.

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
Blimey!
In September we are taking our 130k mile 1978 Corvette to Albertville, in the Alps, for 4 days of "fun" with the Corvette Club de France, returning via a short run into Italy.
I'm not taking half the stuff mentioned here! :oops: :):)
Yellow 2, you seem to have most "bases covered", as Rich says, you'll need the triangle, hi-vis jackets and first aid kit. You will NOT need a breathalyser (don't be conned by ferry co,s Eurotunnel Halfords etc), but beam deflectors are a good idea. You'll also need a "GB" badge now. And you no doubt know you will need your V5 and MOT (originals, not copies), plus insurance "green card" and, driving license of course.
I do carry some spare bulbs in the 'Vette, but not in our modern car.
When we lived in the UK we had breakdown cover that included Europe for our foreign trips, which I'd say is the most important thing, along with a cellphone that works here!
We've been stopped by the Gendarmerie once in 17 years, by a chap who wanted to look over the car more than anything. In our dealings with "les flics" on events like the Tour de France, we have found them to be charming and polite. Unless you're behaving like some of the 'riff-raff" who come to Le Mans each year, you'll probably get no more than a thumbs up!
My Camaro has done France thrice and Italy once - it's a lovely feeling descending off the Eurotunnel/ferry ramp and finding yourself on the "proper" side of the road ain't it?! My only gripe is getting stopped at toll plazas and customs points for a "quick search please Monsieur" - they mostly want to look under the hood or sit in the Camaro. One customs officer at St Malo port sat in it and handed me her camera to take her picture, no interest at all in the cases of wine and champagne on the rear seat. Are you based in France?

PhilV8

CCCUK Member
True, but if you have them, the police can see them and won't query it. Far more preferable than trying to explain (in French) why a car on UK plates doesn't need them because the lights are US spec on a flat beam. This may work - "les lumières sont des spécifications américaines sur un faisceau plat"
I've written that down in case I'm ever in France again :).

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Like Kentvette , I have toured France & Italy ( not in the C3 ) but in other cars every bit as old as Yellow2`s Vette and some were considerably older . Anyone would think from some of the `advice` that he was embarking on the Paris - Dakar Rally ! :LOL: Totally OTT in my opinion . Apart from the usual legal requirement must haves for driving in France , I took nothing but an emergency tool kit and tyre pump plus European Breakdown cover . Only needed that once when a seemingly perfectly good battery suddenly died at service station near Le Mans . A well maintained vehicle should be capable of a touring miles without incident unless it`s vintage or veteran motor !
As per Kentvette`s experience with Le Plod sur la continent , never had a problem . Once on a Jaguar Drivers Club Tour in France two motorcycle cops were sat by the side of a deserted country road . They pulled out and followed us and I thought " ay up ! here we go " ! But they just cruised passed waving at us and gesturing to give it some wellie with a thumbs up ! :) Why do Gendarmes have Roman numerals round their hats ? Cos they`d look damned silly with French letters . 🤣

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
Have stayed a few times at the Hotel de France in Chartres-sur-Loire, grand spot that. Love all the LeMans themed stuff in there.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Have stayed a few times at the Hotel de France in Chartres-sur-Loire, grand spot that. Love all the LeMans themed stuff in there.
La Chartre sur le Loir is our nearest town, so HdF is our "local" :) Recently (last 5 years or so) completely re-vamped by the new owner Martin Overington, (he of the Blower Bentley towing the Porsche 962!) and run by Sally, Christophe and the team. This year's 24 Hours Grand Marshal Derek bell will almost certainly be staying there as usual during race week.