Import duty query.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all , am looking to import a removeable crossmember flange kit from the usa. It is 350 dollars , aprox 250quid including shipping.
from experience , does anyone have an idea of how much duty I should expect to pay at this end, it is basically 4 steel flanges and 8 bolts, nuts and washers. . TiAđź‘Ť

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
So a 250 quid item is plus 25quid , then vat on the twenty five or the 275?
Yep, if the UK landed price is £250, import duty is usually 10%, I say usually because some items are charged a little less, but if you work on 10% it’s good. Then 20% VAT will then be added

Landed UK purchase price converted into ÂŁ sterling then 10% duty then 20% VAT. ( on the 250 + 25. )

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Price paid in the USA
Plus shipping
Plus 10% duty
Plus 20% vat
Thanks all . Is there a scheme where all duties are pd at source in the usa . I bought a billet steering wheel for my beach buggy build from Cis which came all duties paid , yet another time i bought some slaom ski bindings and couldnt collect them until 75 quid was paid to royal mail.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Thanks all . Is there a scheme where all duties are pd at source in the usa . I bought a billet steering wheel for my beach buggy build from Cis which came all duties paid , yet another time i bought some slaom ski bindings and couldnt collect them until 75 quid was paid to royal mail.
The only way that I’ve seen/done UK tax paid at source is through eBay’s global shipping programme. Something is bought in USA via eBay.com, if the supplier is in the GSP it will take shipping and taxes due at point of sale so nothing extra to pay. The GSP handles all the paperwork etc. I think it’s managed by Pitney Bowes, but you just deal with eBay.
That’s the only way I’ve seen it done, most US suppliers wouldn’t know how to do it, or want the hassle of doing it.
Rather like years ago when they wouldn’t ship international due to customs paperwork at the post office.

Roscobbc

Haven't bought anything from the 'states for a couple of years since Covid or so but isn't that the very option you can choose when buying from Rock Auto or Summit Racing? (and something a few other suppliers were starting to replicate?) i.e goods, all shipping, taxes and duties all paid up front.......nothing to pay in UK when items arrive.....or has that stopped now?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The only way that I’ve seen/done UK tax paid at source is through eBay’s global shipping programme. Something is bought in USA via eBay.com, if the supplier is in the GSP it will take shipping and taxes due at point of sale so nothing extra to pay. The GSP handles all the paperwork etc. I think it’s managed by Pitney Bowes, but you just deal with eBay.
That’s the only way I’ve seen it done, most US suppliers wouldn’t know how to do it, or want the hassle of doing it.
Rather like years ago when they wouldn’t ship international due to customs paperwork at the post office.
Ahh , I see, thanks for the info đź‘Ť

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Haven't bought anything from the 'states for a couple of years since Covid or so but isn't that the very option you can choose when buying from Rock Auto or Summit Racing? (and something a few other suppliers were starting to replicate?) i.e goods, all shipping, taxes and duties all paid up front.......nothing to pay in UK when items arrive.....or has that stopped now?
Haven’t bought from either of those companies so not sure if they have adopted that arrangement. Don’t know what’s involved paperwork wise from their point of view re HM Customs procedures. If they are supplying enough to the UK, they may have thought it worthwhile to arrange same with HMRC. Ebay did with their GSP as they are probably supplying millions of items to the UK and they most probably earn a little bit on each shipment. As Tesco says “ every penny helps”

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Haven’t bought from either of those companies so not sure if they have adopted that arrangement. Don’t know what’s involved paperwork wise from their point of view re HM Customs procedures. If they are supplying enough to the UK, they may have thought it worthwhile to arrange same with HMRC. Ebay did with their GSP as they are probably supplying millions of items to the UK and they most probably earn a little bit on each shipment. As Tesco says “ every penny helps”
Well, I pressed the button on the flange kit. It is coming from modern driveline in the uss and should be here in 7-10 days. Half the fun of hobby cars is finding and buying the bits so you have them at hand when you are ready to tackle a particular job . đź‘Ť

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Well, I pressed the button on the flange kit. It is coming from modern driveline in the uss and should be here in 7-10 days. Half the fun of hobby cars is finding and buying the bits so you have them at hand when you are ready to tackle a particular job . đź‘Ť