IMSA Oct 11-14th for 10 hours of Le Mans

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Oct 1-14th, Motul Petit Le Mans will feature a capacity 54-car grid for the final rounds of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and IMSA Michelin Endurance Cup.
Released on Wednesday, the list comprises ten GTP class entries, nine LMP2s, eight LMP3 cars, eight GTD Pros and 19 GTDs.
A number of third drivers have been added, per regulations, to the GTP class, with Scott Dixon rejoining the No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing Cadillac V-Series.R, Jenson Button in JDC-Miller Motorsports’ Porsche 963 and Josef Newgarden in the No. 7 Team Penske Porsche among the star names along with Helio Castroneves in the No. 60 Meyer Shank Racing Acura ARX-06.

Marco Wittmann and Sheldon van der Linde return to BMW M Team RLL in the Nos. 24 and 25 cars, respectively, while Laurens Vanthoor will be in the No. 6 Penske Porsche and Louis Deletraz aboard another title-contending entry, the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing with Andretti Autosport Acura.
Neel Jani will make his first Petit Le Mans start since winning the race in 2012 and 2013, at the wheel of Proton Competition’s Porsche, while Jack Aitken will be in his final race as third driver in the No. 31 Action Express Racing Cadillac before being promoted to full-time duty in 2024.

Longtime LMP3 racer Ari Balogh is set for his LMP2 debut in Tower Motorsports’ Oreca 07 Gibson alongside Kyffin Simpson and Scott McLaughlin.
John Falb, meanwhile, will be back in the No. 35 TDS Racing Oreca, while AF Corse has entered its LMP2 car for Francois Perrodo, Matthieu Vaxiviere and Emmanuel Collard.

LMP3, in its final outing in WeatherTech Championship competition, sees several to-be-determined lineups, including Joao Barbosa’s co-drivers in the No. 33 Sean Creech Motorsport Ligier JS P320 Nissan and the full lineup for the No. 38 Performance Tech Motorsports Ligier alongside the already confirmed Cameron Shields.
As revealed by, Kevin Estre will complete Pfaff Motorsports’ lineup in the No. 9 Porsche 911 GT3 R in GTD Pro, while David Pittard steps in to join Ross Gunn and Alex Riberas in the No. 23 The Heart of Racing Aston Martin Vantage GT3.

Simon Mann’s Ferrari 296 GT3 will step up to GTD Pro with the addition of factory drivers Miguel Molina and James Calado, alongside Risi Competizione’s Prancing Horse for Alessandro Pier Guidi, Daniel Serra and Davide Rigon.
Iron Lynx, meanwhile, will have Jordan Pepper, Mirko Bortolotti and Franck Perera at the wheel of its GTD Pro Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO2.

The Iron Dames will return to GTD, with its usual lineup of Rahel Frey, Michelle Gatting and Doriane Pin, alongside fellow Endurance Cup-only entries from Triarsi Competizione, Cetilar Racing and Magnus Racing.

Wright Motorsports will be back to a two-car operation, with Ryan Hardwick returning to the No. 16 Porsche alongside Zach Robichon and Jan Heylen.
Rolex 24 at Daytona LMP3 class winner Thomas Merrill, meanwhile, will complete Turner Motorsports’ lineup in its No. 97 BMW M4 GT3, a seat previously occupied by John Edwards.

As previously reported, Kellymoss with Riley will focus its efforts on a single Porsche for David Brule, Alec Udell and Julien Andlauer after withdrawing its No. 91 car due to a non-racing injury for Alan Metni.

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Petit Le Mans at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta is on the 14th of October

Thanks, corrected

Friday, October 13, 2023
6:00 am - 8:15 am IMSA T&S Transponder Checks / TV cabling / Track Inspection / Signage
8:25 am - CCL IMSA Course Clearance Lap
8:30 am - 8:45 am QUALIFYING - MICHELIN CHALLENGE TCR
8:50 am - 9:05 am QUALIFYING - MICHELIN CHALLENGE GS
9:20 am - 9:25 am PRE-RACE - VP CHALLENGE
9:25 am - 10:10 am RACE #2 - VP CHALLENGE - 45 MINUTES
9:45 am MICHELIN CHALLENGE DRIVER AND TEAM MANAGER BRIEFING - IMSA LOGISTICS FACILITY
10:25 am - 10:30 am PRE-RACE - MAZDA MX-5
10:30 am - 11:15 am RACE #2 - MAZDA MX-5 - 45 MINUTES
11:15 am MICHELIN CHALLENGE - FUEL RIG INSPECTION (PIT BOX - MANDATORY)
11:15 am - 12:15 pm Break / Pre-Race
11:20 am - 12:00 pm IMSA Hot Lap Experience (by invitation only)
11:40 am - 12:15 pm PRE-RACE - OPEN GRID / FAN WALK - PIT LANE - MICHELIN CHALLENGE

12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Driver Autograph Session - WeatherTech Championship at Team Transporters in the Paddock
12:15 pm - 12:25 pm PRE-RACE FORMATION LAPS - MICHELIN CHALLENGE
12:25 pm - 2:25 pm RACE - FOX FACTORY 120 FOR THE IMSA MICHELIN PILOT CHALLENGE - 2 HOURS
2:30 pm - 2:50 pm Track Cleaning (concurrent)
2:30 pm - 2:50 pm Cadillac Car Corral Laps - limit 100 cars (IMSA)
2:50 pm - 3:10 pm Lexus Car Corral Laps - limit 100 cars (IMSA)
3:15 pm - CCL IMSA Course Clearance Lap
3:20 pm - 3:35 pm Qualifying - WeatherTech Championship (GTD/GTD PRO - Any Driver)
3:45 pm - 4:00 pm Qualifying - WeatherTech Championship (LMP2 - Bronze only/LMP3 - Silver <30/Bronze only)
4:10 pm - 4:30 pm Qualifying - WeatherTech Championship (GTP - Any Driver)
4:40 pm - 5:00 pm Porsche Car Corral Laps - limit 100 cars (IMSA)
5:00 pm WeatherTech Championship Driver & Team Manager Briefing - IMSA Logistics Facility
5:00 pm - 5:20 pm BMW Car Corral Laps - limit 100 cars (IMSA)
5:20 pm - 5:40 pm Hyundai Car Corral Laps - limit 100 cars (IMSA)
12:00 am Non-WeatherTech Championship competitors must vacate Tower Paddock by 12:00 am (midnight)

Saturday, October 14, 2023
6:45 am - 8:00 am IMSA T&S Transponder Checks / TV cabling / Track Inspection / Signage
7:30 am - 8:45 am Fuel Rig Inspection - WeatherTech Championship
8:05 am - 8:25 am On track media activity (hot track)
8:40 am - CCL IMSA Course Clearance Lap
8:45 am - 9:05 am Warm Up - WeatherTech Championship (All Classes)
9:10 am - 10:00 am IMSA Hot Lap Experience (by invitation only)
10:10 am - 11:30 am WeatherTech Championship Pre-Race / Recon Lap / IMSA Hot Lap Experience (by invitation only)
10:20 am - 11:20 am WeatherTech Championship - Open Grid / Fan Walk, Driver Introductions - Front Straight
11:30 am - 11:40 am WeatherTech Championship - Formation Laps

11:40 am - 9:40 pm Race - 26th Annual Motul Petit Le Mans for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship - 10 Hours

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Last race ever for Chevy C8.R
frown

DETROIT (October 10, 2023) – C8.R Corvette Racing will close its 25th season with a race where it badly wants to return to Victory Circle: Petit Le Mans at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta and the finale of this year’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

The 10-hour endurance race isn’t just the close of the IMSA season; it also closes the era of the Corvette C8.R, which Corvette Racing has fielded since 2020. The race also marks a point of transition to a factory-supported effort for what will become the new Corvette Z06 GT3.R customer program for 2024 including two Corvette GT3 cars for Corvette Racing by Pratt Miller Motorsports.

But first things first.
There’s no better way to end the season and the life of the C8.R by winning Petit Le Mans for the first time since 2010. Full-season teammates Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor welcome back Tommy Milner with the trio sharing the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R in the GT Daytona (GTD) PRO category.

Garcia and Taylor twice winners this year still have a remote chance to secure the GTD PRO Drivers, Manufacturers and Teams titles for themselves, Chevrolet and the No. 3 C8.R squad, respectively.
A second-place points finish looks more likely as the No. 14 entry only needs to start the race to win the championship.
That doesn’t mean there isn’t anything to race for in the Corvette camp. A victory at 2.54-mile, 12-turn Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta would mean a first victory in Petit Le Mans for both Garcia and Milner, plus give Taylor a victory in his final event with Corvette Racing before returning to prototype competition next year.

A total of 53 cars in five classes make up the entry list for the Road Atlanta round, including eight entries for GTD PRO. Add that to the roller-coaster nature of the track plus going from day to night and the risk for incidents and accidents goes up. That will put a premium on car consistency and reliability in addition to patience by each of the three Corvette drivers.

Chevrolet On Display at Road Atlanta

In addition to the many series and events competing during the Petit Le Mans weekend, race fans will have plenty to see and experience from Chevrolet. The Chevrolet Motorsports Display will be full of Chevy vehicles that spectators can learn more about throughout the weekend.
The Chevrolet Motorsports Display opens at 8 a.m. Thursday through Saturday and is located in the Fan Midway above the Road Atlanta main paddock.

Numerous Chevrolet vehicles and other highlights include:

• The 2024 Corvette GT3.R race car that will compete next year in IMSA, the FIA World Endurance Championship at SRO’s GT World Challenge
• The 2024 Corvette E-Ray convertible and cutaway chassis, plus a Corvette C8.R engine
• Additional Chevrolet products such as Colorado ZR2, Camaro ZL1 1LE, Silverado 1500 RST, Traverse Premier Redline and Tahoe Z71, plus a variety of Chevrolet Performance parts and accessories
• An opportunity to receive a 2023 Chevrolet Motorsports t-shirt

The 10-hour Petit Le Mans from Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta is scheduled for 11:40 a.m. ET on Saturday, October 14.
The race will air live on USA beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET and with the full race stream beginning at 11:35 a.m. on Peacock inside the United States and IMSA.com outside the U.S. IMSA Radio will air all on-track sessions beginning with Thursday’s opening practice at IMSA.com with the race call also on XM 207 and SiriusXM Online 992.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“This is the same situation as last year. Not being able to win this race in the past is always in the back of my mind. We’re also coming off a poor performance at Indianapolis, which wasn’t a very promising preview. That doesn’t mean I’m giving up.
I’m definitely going to go for the win. I hope we have a chance; that’s all I ask. Just to have a chance, and then it’s up to us if we can manage to win or not.”

End of the C8.R era: “The average results with this car have been really, excellent. We managed to win very important races like Daytona, Le Mans, Sebring… I’ve managed to win two championships with Jordan and win the big races. I’m happy that I’ve been part of this project since Day One. I started testing in the simulator several years ago. Being part of the whole process of developing that car was special. I’m happy that what we’ve built and developed has gone on to win so many big races and championships.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“Ever since I’ve been Antonio’s teammate, this one has always been on the top of my list, and it’s been on the top of my list, as well.
Usually the races you go for every year are Daytona, Sebring and Petit Le Mans plus the championship. Those all kind of stand alone as ones you want to win because they are big-ticket items. Corvette Racing hasn’t won at Road Atlanta in many years, and this must be the only race on the planet that Antonio hasn’t won;
I know how badly he wants to win it. And with this being my last race with the team and the program, it would be amazing to have a nice send-off like that. Everyone is fully focused with the championship out of reach, so we can take all the risks on track and on strategy to go for the win.
The C8.R has won every major endurance race that it’s done it’s just missing Petit Le Mans.
It would be amazing to check off that last box on this last weekend for this car.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

It’s always felt busy around Road Atlanta because of the nature of the track, which is what makes it fun to drive and fun to race on. When you add 50-something cars, it’s going to be chaotic for sure. With it always being the last race of the year, championships on the line, and drivers and teams who are planning to get a little bit of experience before the next season show up,

it all makes the race very hectic and even the practices hectic. But it’s always been one of my favorite events. The track is amazing and it provides an awesome atmosphere. I’m excited to back in the Corvette. I’ve been away from racing since March, although I’m watching everything.
But it’s different when you’re directly involved. I’m looking forward to getting back in the C8.R, go racing again and getting back into the rhythm of it.

“Thankfully I haven’t been just sitting at home twiddling my thumbs during the season. I’ve been in the test car and doing quite a bit in that. More than anything, I’m excited about getting back in a racing environment. I haven’t had that since March.
The urgency of getting up to speed, the urgency of getting a read on the racecar and getting back into the rhythm of having traffic to deal with those will all be good to get back into that rhythm again.
From driving the racecar, I don’t think that will be any difference. The intensity of a race weekend is what I’ve missed.”

2023 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship – GTD PRO
(After 10 of 11 events)

Driver Standings
1. Ben Barnicoat/Jack Hawksworth – 3,495
2. Antonio Garcia/Jordan Taylor – 3,307
3. Daniel Juncadella/Jules Gounon – 3,268
4. Klaus Bachler/Patrick Pilet – 3,230
5. Alex Riberas/Ross Gunn – 3,122

Team Standings
1. No. 14 Vasser Sullivan – 3,495
2. No. 3 Corvette Racing – 3,307
3. No. 79 WeatherTech Racing – 3,268
4. No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports – 3,320
5. No. 23 Heart of Racing Team – 3,122

Manufacturer Standings
1. Lexus – 3,495
2. Chevrolet – 3,307
3. Mercedes-AMG – 3,268
4. Porsche – 3,230
5. Aston Martin – 3,133

Vetteheadracer

CCCUK Member
Nope! The final race is the FIA WEC 8 Hours of Bahrain on the 4th of November and it is also the final race for Corvette Racing (as we currently know and love it) and it’s the final international race for GT2 spec machinery - read C8.R as it was designed.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
This week is the final race-week for Jordan Taylor, who will be ending his run with the factory-backed Corvette Racing team and will return to prototype racing next year with his family at WTR.

Jordan shares the No.3 C8.R Corvette with Antonio Garcia. The duo is currently second in the GTD-Pro standings, and they need to win and get some help this weekend to come out on top.

Despite the must-win attitude from the team, Jordan has been thinking about his time at Corvette Racing which started in 2012 with him being one of the endurance race drivers before moving into a full-time seat with the team in 2020.
Saying that he has “Some thoughts heading into my last weekend with Corvette Racing,” he posted the following note on social media:

The start of a bittersweet weekend, my last with Corvette Racing.
The journey began in 2012.
I was twenty years old with just a few full years of GT racing under my belt and drafted in to be the third driver for the endurance races.
Looking at pictures still puts a knot in my stomach. It reminds me of the person I was. Memories of the lack of confidence

I had in myself, both inside the car and out.
The feeling of not belonging, the insecurities, and the fact I didn’t feel deserving to be in the position I was in. It was a huge leap of faith by Corvette Racing to put me in the car. Coming into a championship winning, fan favorite team with absolute monster drivers.

To say it was intimidating would be an understatement. It took time, but pushing through the discomfort and breaking out of that shell of insecurity was the best thing that ever happened, and I have to thank this group for that.
Being surrounded by amazing teammates those first few years (Antonio, Jan, Olly, Tommy, and Richard), an amazing crew, and an unbelievable fan base, I’ve grown into a person that I can be proud of.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Corvette Racing’s Antonio Garcia laid down a 1:19.543 in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R GTD to go quickest in GTD Pro, edging out Daniel Serra’s No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 296 GT3 of Daniel Serra.

The No. 1 Paul Miller Racing BMW M4 GT3 of Madison Snow led GTD with the third-quickest time of the production-based ranks.

The session saw a single red flag, for an accident by the No. 35 TDS Racing Oreca of Giedo van der Garde, who went off and made contact with the Turn 3 barriers.

There were several other on-track incidents, including a spin for Kevin Estre in the No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R and contact made to the No. 83 Iron Dames Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO2.

Fifty-one of the 52 cars turned laps in the session, with the No. 47 Cetilar Racing Ferrari not taking to the track after undergoing repairs following Antonio Fuoco’s accident in opening practice this morning.

The third and final practice of the day is set for a 7:30 p.m. EDT start and runs until 9 p.m.

P2.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The Heart of Racing’s gamble to put slick tires on its No. 27 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 paid dividends, as Bronze-rated Ian James set the fastest combined time across the two GTD classes in the first qualifying session.

James first equaled GTD Pro pole-sitter Jack Hawksworth, who was on wets, with a time of 1:23.168 but went on to make a last-gasp improvement down to 1:23.116.
Hawksworth still took the GTD Pro pole in the No. 14 Vasser Sullivan Lexus RC F GT3, beating Iron Lynx Lamborghini driver Mirko Bortolotti by three-tenths of a second.

However, Bortolotti had all of his lap times deleted for stepping out of the car before the end of the session.

That provisionally promoted Corvette Racing’s Antonio Garcia to second in GTD Pro, although the Spaniard ended up behind a trio of GTD competitors.
Doriane Pin took second in GTD for Iron Lynx, beating Aaron Telitz in the other Vasser Sullivan Lexus and Turner Motorsport BMW driver Bill Auberlen.

The 26th annual Motul Petit Le Mans gets underway Saturday at 12:15 p.m. EDT with live coverage on Peacock and IMSA Radio.

Qualify.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Garcia Second in GTD PRO Qualifying
Damp, traffic-filled time trials ahead of 10-hour enduro to close the C8.R era

BRASELTON, Ga. (October 13, 2023) – Corvette Racing will start second in the GT Daytona (GTD) PRO class after qualifying for Saturday’s 10-hour Petit Le Mans at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

Antonio Garcia qualified the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R on Friday with a time of 1:24.009 (108.728 mph) in the entry he will share with Jordan Taylor and Tommy Milner. It was the last qualifying run in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship for the C8.R, which will give way to the new Corvette Z06 GT3.R in 2024.

Garcia was sixth-fastest among all GT drivers Friday in a damp but drying 15-minute qualifying session. A persistent light rain eased just before the start of the session, with the Corvette going out on rain tires like the rest of the GTD PRO field.
A combined 25 GTD cars were on track at the same time for the qualifying session, making it challenging to find space and a clear track.

Saturday’s weather should be much improved, which could swing a little bit of momentum toward Corvette, as Garcia was quickest in class during Thursday afternoon’s dry practice session.

There would no better way to end the season and the life of the C8.R by winning Petit Le Mans for the first time since 2010. A victory at 2.54-mile, 12-turn Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta would mean a first victory in Petit Le Mans for both Garcia and Milner, plus give Taylor a victory in his final event with Corvette Racing before returning to prototype competition next year.

Corvette Racing also can win the class title in the Michelin Endurance Cup a four-race championship made up of the WeatherTech Championship’s long-distance rounds: the Rolex 24 At Daytona, Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen and Petit Le Mans. Garcia and Taylor, Chevrolet and the No. 3 C8.R squad sit second in the Drivers, Manufacturers and Teams standings, respectively, with three points to lead. Points are awarded at the four-, eight- and 10-hour marks of Petit Le Mans.

The 10-hour Petit Le Mans from Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta is scheduled for 11:40 a.m. ET on Saturday, October 14.
The race will air live on USA beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET and with the full race stream beginning at 11:35 a.m. on Peacock inside the United States and IMSA.com outside the U.S. IMSA Radio will air the race at IMSA.com with the race call also on XM 207 and SiriusXM Online 992.

2023 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship – GTD PRO (After 10 of 11 events)

Driver Standings

1. Ben Barnicoat/Jack Hawksworth – 3,495
2. Antonio Garcia/Jordan Taylor – 3,307
3. Daniel Juncadella/Jules Gounon – 3,268
4. Klaus Bachler/Patrick Pilet – 3,230
5. Alex Riberas/Ross Gunn – 3,122

Team Standings

1. No. 14 Vasser Sullivan – 3,495
2. No. 3 Corvette Racing – 3,307
3. No. 79 WeatherTech Racing – 3,268
4. No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports – 3,320
5. No. 23 Heart of Racing Team – 3,122

Manufacturer Standings

1. Lexus – 3,495
2. Chevrolet – 3,307
3. Mercedes-AMG – 3,268
4. Porsche – 3,230
5. Aston Martin – 3,133

CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD ATLANTA: By the Numbers

• 1: As in one team, one manufacturer and one model of car for 25 years: Corvette Racing, Chevrolet and the Chevrolet Corvette

• 3: Tracks where Corvette Racing has competed in each of its 25 years: Sebring International Raceway and WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca and as of this weekend Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta

• 4: Generations of Corvette Racing entries at Road Atlanta since 1999 Corvette C5-R (1999-04) Corvette C6.R (2005-2013), Corvette C7.R (2014-2019) and the new-generation Corvette C8.R (2020-current), which made its Road Atlanta debut at September’s six-hour IMSA race in 2020

• 10: Number of Road Atlanta victories for Corvette Racing dating back to 2000 eight of those at Petit Le Mans

• 10: Petit Le Mans wins for Chevrolet eight in GT and two in Prototype. That ranks third among manufacturers in event history

• 14: Manufacturer Championships for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing since 2001

• 27: Tracks at which Corvette Racing has won races – Baltimore, Charlotte Motor Speedway, COTA, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park/Mosport, Daytona, Detroit, Houston, Laguna Seca, Le Mans, Lime Rock, Long Beach, Miami, Mid-Ohio, Monza, Portimão, Portland, Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Sonoma, St. Petersburg, Texas, Trois Rivieres, Utah, VIR, Washington DC and Watkins Glen

• 34: Number of drivers for Corvette Racing since 1999. Ben Keating and Nico Varrone joined that list with their participation and victory in the 1,000 Miles of Sebring for the World Endurance Championship

• 127: Victories worldwide for Corvette Racing 115 in North America, nine at Le Mans and three in the FIA WEC

• 282: Event starts by Corvette Racing since 1999

• 41,826.42: Number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing in its 27 previous trips to Road Atlanta. That represents 16,690 laps or more than 653 trips around Atlanta’s Interstate 285

• 360,734.30: Total number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing since its inception. To put that in perspective, Corvette Racing is more than halfway to the distance traveled by Apollo 13 the longest manned spaceflight in history: 622,268 miles.
That means Corvette Racing has raced to the moon and more than halfway back!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Corvette lead most of the laps for the first 5 hours but than

Trouble struck for Corvette Racing just past the halfway mark, with Tommy Milner
mad

Pulling the No. 3 C8.R over with tranny problems
Milner was leading at halfway and when the problem struck.
So that is how GM factory Corvette racing ends in IMSA
puke

theend.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The Chevy Corvette C8.R ended its run in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship leading Petit Le Mans on Saturday, but unfortunately that happened just past the halfway point of the 10-hour race at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

Corvette Racing’s mid-engine challenger retired with a yet-to-be-determined engine issue that caused Tommy Milner to lose power while leading the GT Daytona (GTD) PRO class with less than five hours left in the race. He, Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor had dominated the race up to that point by leading 87 of the Corvette’s 189 laps.

The C8.R has one more race left in the FIA World Endurance Championship, but it has compiled an impressive record of 20 victories in 80 races including Le Mans, Daytona and Sebring and IMSA Manufacturers, Drivers and Team championships in 2020 and 2021.
It will give way in 2024 to the Corvette Z06 GT3.R, which will see four cars running in the WeatherTech Championship next season.

On Saturday, it appeared early that the C8.R would add a long-sought Petit Le Mans victory to the honor roll. Garcia began the race second in class but moved to the GTD PRO lead just past the one-hour mark. He drove a double-stint to open before handing off to Taylor for his own double.

The Corvette ran fourth just shy of the three-hour mark, but a sterling pit stop by the Corvette crew during the race’s fifth full-course yellow leap-frogged Taylor, making his final start with Corvette Racing back to the lead. That’s where he ran before handing over the C8.R to Milner four hours into the race.
The Corvette Racing effort transitions into the Corvette Z06 GT3.R era starting with the Rolex 24 At Daytona on Saturday, Jan. 27.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“It was looking quite good. I was surprised how competitive we were right away. My double-stint was good. Jordan’s double-stint was really good.
Tommy was leading. Everything was kind of falling in the right places for us.
We had little things with strategy where we might have lost the lead, but we were up there and executing another great Corvette race. Even if most of the cars had more pace than us, it would have been difficult for them. It’s a shame to end this way.
I wish we had another result and another way to do our last race with Jordan and this car. But it feels like another Petit Le Mans where I go away not winning it! It’s disappointing, but I’ll never give up trying to win this one.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“It’s sad and a bittersweet ending. We went out leading, which is a positive. It’s too bad the fans didn’t get to see us finish one last race in IMSA in the C8.R. It’s been an amazing run with this car two GTLM championships, we’ve won the WEC championship this year, a Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring we were just missing Petit Le Mans. It’s been an amazing run for this generation of Corvette, and hopefully the next one can get this one checked off the list.

“This isn’t a farewell. I won’t be driving for the team anymore, but I’ll still be around. I don’t want anyone to not come around and say hello.
Furthermore, I’ve been here for 12 years now, and I’ve grown up in this program. With these team members, the crew members, the engineers, management, the race fans, they’ve all seen me grow and progress. I wouldn’t want any of that to change.
These people will be family for the rest of my life.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“At the end of the day, it’s not the result we were hoping for and on track for. The car was great today. Antonio and Jordan did a phenomenal job today.
The engineering guys made the right pit calls, even a little risky setup call for the race today that we weren’t totally confident in. But those guys worked hard to give us a great Corvette today, and they definitely did.

So I’m disappointed with the finish, but I’m super proud of what this team has achieved from the very beginning of the C8.R’s life not just the guys here but the guys in WEC and a lot of guys in Michigan who have spent a long many years working on this car, developing the car and making it better.

It’s not how we wanted to end it all, but I’ve excited for what’s to come with the Corvette GT3 racecar. It took me a little bit to get used to this car because I’ve driven the GT3 for so long, and it does so many things really well. I’m really excited about the future.”