Is the C7 a genuine step up the ladder?

Seahawk 80

Regular user
I've been looking at the base model C7 "Stingray" and whilst I can appreciate that the C7 is an upgrade over the C6 for interior quality,fit/finish,it seems that there is very little if any upgrade from a performance perspective and a significant downgrade in performance when compared to the C6 ZO6 model.I imagine the ride quality is plusher in the C7 but where the C7 really seems to lose out is it's increase in weight,especially when compared to the C6 ZO6.I know looks are subjective and it's virtually unheard in automotive history for a new model to be worse than the old model but I'm struggling to see the C7 as a genuine upgrade,what do you think?,
I'm leaving the C7 ZO6/ZR1 out because I've no doubt they are a genuine step forward.

Roscobbc

I've been looking at the base model C7 "Stingray" and whilst I can appreciate that the C7 is an upgrade over the C6 for interior quality,fit/finish,it seems that there is very little if any upgrade from a performance perspective and a significant downgrade in performance when compared to the C6 ZO6 model.I imagine the ride quality is plusher in the C7 but where the C7 really seems to lose out is it's increase in weight,especially when compared to the C6 ZO6.I know looks are subjective and it's virtually unheard in automotive history for a new model to be worse than the old model but I'm struggling to see the C7 as a genuine upgrade,what do you think?,
I'm leaving the C7 ZO6/ZR1 out because I've no doubt they are a genuine step forward.
You really need to drive the C7 to make a comparison - I drove one of IAM's 8 speed auto's - I thought is was a far better handling car than C6 and very tactile - I drove it quote hard in wet, slippery winter conditions and felt very safe in it. In my view the traction control and handling systems worked so well and totally unobtrusively allowing maximum power to be applied safely. For me the bargain has always been the least expensive UK marketed version at just over £60K.

z06_tim

Busy user
As Ross says. You need to drive one to feel the benefits. It is really noticeable in the way the car steers and responds to inputs.

GM invested a lot of time in optimising the structure to lead to a better handling car. They have improved many aspects, right down to the stiffness of individual suspension and steering mounting points.

The increased mass over the C6Z06 is a shame, but that model and the C5Z06 before it, really are the pinnacle of Corvette light-weighting. The mass of the base model C7 doesn't look that much more than the mass of a base C6 before it.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
I've recently been taken around Cadwell Park by a guy with a C7 Grandsport,it was quick,the handling was good but as I'd travelled there in my C6 ZO6,the considerable weight increase and power deficit was apparent,I know that's a nonsense on the highway,but I will say it was a very nice ride,we were hurtling around there, sat in total comfort,whilst guys in Caterhams banged and crashed around there and fair enough they overtook us but I thought for a totally road legal car with ac and a lovely interior/seats,and inherent weight it was amazing.

monty

CCCUK regional rep
I have been in a C7 grand sport and a C7 stingray and the only thing i can say is compared to my C7 Z06 there is no comparison as the power difference is massive so trying to compare a base C7 or grand sport against a C6 Z06 for me is unfair, it should be compare like for like C6 Z06 against a C7 Z06 to see the difference.

z06_tim

Busy user
I agree with Monty. You will just have to upgrade to the C7Z06!

I think you will miss the power to weight of your C6Z06, if you were to replace with a base model C7.

N

Norm

All I can say about that is...........I lub my '16 C7 Z06, to this day, I am enamored on the looks and performance every time I drive it. Our weekly Thursday morning breakfast group, I'm running out of places to dine that can accommodate us. I believe rental halls will be next. :)

20190822_084753_HDR.jpg20190822_084841_HDR.jpg

monty

CCCUK regional rep
Whilst it may be difficult to replicate on the road, something to consider courtesy of that bloke in white from Top Gear:

View attachment 3876
View attachment 3878
I take it that's the lap times around their circuit, If that means the base C7 was quicker then all i can say is the man in white must of been ill or having a bad day at the office when he was in the C7 Z06, GM don't make a 450hp C7 and then a 650hp C7 for it to be slower, that's not a very good marketing venture. What it does not say is if it was dry or wet when they did it.
I still stick with my post that like for like is the only way to compare.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
I agree,the only probably true comparison is like model for like model,I guess lap times give a rough indication but unless there's a serious deviation in comparison times I would say that there's too many variables on any give day,even down to the driver to be able to draw any scientific conclusions.The handling prowess of the C7 was certainly shown to great affect around the very winding and undulating Cadwell circuit but 200 kg of weight and 50ish horsepower less is always going to be felt.I guess there's a "too much" power argument for the C6 ZR1,C7 ZO6 and ZR1 potentially turning in slower laps than a base model car if the driver wasn't experienced or the power being uncontrollable,especially in damp conditions.

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Take your point, but if, as we are led to believe, the driver is the same professional racing driver [who will most certainly be getting everything he can out of the car] on the same track and neither car is on slicks, then the variables are very much reduced [conditions are not noted as different either]. We know the C6 Z06 is a fantastically fast machine, but the C7 was developed later and has more modern geometry. We should all hope and expect a newer car to be more capable in general and in some areas in particular. Given, as you say, that it is some 50 hp down and considerably heavier, it is some testament to the newer car. Witness also the machinery with the same or similar times - quite rarefied company. A quick calculation shows that the C6 averaged 76.47mph and the C7 almost bang on 79mph. As a mathematical comparison, this means that the 2.8 secs difference is equivalent to 228 feet or 76 yards - on one lap. A ten lap race would put the C7 almost half a minute and nearly a quarter of a lap ahead. As you say, on the road, all bets are off due to all the factors that differentiate a road from a track, but, if you are looking at the ultimate ability of the car, the foregoing illustrates it quite well.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
Take your point, but if, as we are led to believe, the driver is the same professional racing driver [who will most certainly be getting everything he can out of the car] on the same track and neither car is on slicks, then the variables are very much reduced [conditions are not noted as different either]. We know the C6 Z06 is a fantastically fast machine, but the C7 was developed later and has more modern geometry. We should all hope and expect a newer car to be more capable in general and in some areas in particular. Given, as you say, that it is some 50 hp down and considerably heavier, it is some testament to the newer car. Witness also the machinery with the same or similar times - quite rarefied company. A quick calculation shows that the C6 averaged 76.47mph and the C7 almost bang on 79mph. As a mathematical comparison, this means that the 2.8 secs difference is equivalent to 228 feet or 76 yards - on one lap. A ten lap race would put the C7 almost half a minute and nearly a quarter of a lap ahead. As you say, on the road, all bets are off due to all the factors that differentiate a road from a track, but, if you are looking at the ultimate ability of the car, the foregoing illustrates it quite well.
As you say,it would be almost ludicrous if the newer version of a sports car was slower than an out going model,if only because of updated chassis/steering geometry and race track development but a lot of things can alter from one track session to another even with the same car and driver.Apparently a Nurburgring lap time was never released for the C7 not because it was slower or inferior to the outgoing model,they just didn't get a faster lap time due to many factors and conditions having to be perfect to achieve a super fast lap,they said they ran out of time and didn't release a lap time because they felt the times they had obtained reflected badly on a car they thought could do much better.
I'm just a fan of the paired to the bone philosophy when it comes to sports cars,as used so effectively by Lotus and others,I think this is why the Porsche purists go crazy and pay crazy money for early 911's which are ultra basic and light.
I'd love to see a road going "R" model of the C8 in the mold of the Porsche GT3RS,with no radio,climate control,door cards,sound deadning and copious use of exotic ultra light metals and carbon fibre.