Jankel Tempest

antijam

CCCUK Member
+
There's an article in the April issue of Classic & Sports Car magazine on the C4 based Jankel Tempest, one of the oddball creations produced by Robert Jankel, one time founder of Panther Westwinds. Basically he took a new C4 and replaced the body with a new glassfibre and Kevlar creation of his own design....

Tempest.jpg

Personally I'm not a great fan of the C4 profile but to me Jankel's mods did nothing to improve it.

Power was from the 'Vette's LT1, either standard or supercharged or alternatively a very heavily modified LT5. The torque of the latter - 608 lbf-ft - giving a sub 4 sec 0 to 60!

If it tickles your fancy of the approx 35 built there is, apparently, just one in the UK - that I don't think is for sale.

Last edited:

Nick B

CCCUK Member
Just had my copy delivered, will be interested to read about the Jankel. TBH I've never heard of it before.

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
Tom Falconer (Claremont Corvette) used to have one in his showroom in Snodland for a while, it was a burgundy colour. Must admit I always liked it. Something a bit different.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
When Jankel first produced his "take" on the C4 I had the sales brochures and various bits of paperwork, which I must have picked up at a "motor show" type event. I got in touch with the factory (which was in the south of England somewhere, I forget where now) and told them I was the Kent rep for CCCUk and that we'd be very interested in a factory tour, or at least a visit. They were completely un-responsive and, further articles I read where Jankel talked about the car, he completely failed to give any acknowledgement that it was in fact a Corvette underneath. A stranger to either Jankel or Corvette would have assumed he built the whole thing himself!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I met him once, and found him to be a very nice chap. Very enthusiastic about the bones of his creation ie the Corvette C4 as we now call it. As with most creative people he was a bit full of himself, but a nice chap. Totally different to Reeves Callaway who wouldn’t give you the time of day.