Jeff Beck (78)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Ahhh! Should have known that! How about some of your "fav" Jeff Beck videos off YouTube on here in tribute to the man?:
Wowza , ain`t that something ! Oh to have a garage like that . Also good to see how mega famous rich guys are so easy going when it comes to a common love of boys toys .

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
I have followed Jeff since mid sixties when I was an up and coming guitar player,
Well, Found a use for that old bottle of "T Cut" in the garage that I thought would never be used. Decided that after years of non use/sitting in the cupboard. I needed to start playing the "Stratocaster" again or sell it? Popped into the guitar shop in Ripley, Surrey (Eric Claptons home village BTW ) and asked the owner what should I use to clean the neck/frets. Per him "Lemoil" from Robert Dyas for the frets and "T Cut" for the metal bits on the frets. Never heard of "Lemoil." What have I been missing? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Interesting how some of the all time greats played upside down guitars as did Hendix .
That's because they were either pissed - or left handed.

As regards the plastic tube device used for oral modulation it was called a "talk box". Wikipedia can explain it better than me,
"A talk box (also spelled talkbox and talk-box) is an effects unit that allows musicians to modify the sound of a musical instrument by shaping the frequency content of the sound and to apply speech sounds (in the same way as singing) onto the sounds of the instrument. Typically, a talk box directs sound from the instrument into the musician's mouth by means of a plastic tube adjacent to a vocal microphone. The musician controls the modification of the instrument's sound by changing the shape of the mouth, "vocalizing" the instrument's output into a microphone."

Peter Frampton was a key user. And never forget this classic example from Bon and the Jovi's,

Not to be confused with the electronic Vocoder used, famously, on Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" and other songs of the 1980s. More recently, Autotune has taken over the territory. I'm sure this forum is packed with Ke$ha fans!

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Interesting how some of the all time greats played upside down guitars as did Hendix .
Hendrix was left handed and Beck right handed. Not sure if there LH and RH versions of guitars (maybe on some makes/models). Hendrix plays his (RH?) "Strat" upside down. Beck is playing his the correct way around above, but appears to have a a special/custom head on it at the end with the 6 string tuners at the bottom rather than at the top? Maybe Jimi persauded Jeff that was a good idea? :)

Roscobbc

Hendrix was left handed and Beck right handed. Not sure if there LH and RH versions of guitars (maybe on some makes/models). Hendrix plays his (RH?) "Strat" upside down. Beck is playing his the correct way around above, but appears to have a a special/custom head on it at the end with the 6 string tuners at the bottom rather than at the top? Maybe Jimi persauded Jeff that was a good idea? :)
If you listen to the Randt Hansen tribute band you'll see Randy playing a left handed guitar right handed (as against Hendrix playing a right handed guitar with his left hand) - Randy's reasoning was that he would practise playing in a Hendrix fashion whilst looking in a mirrorat......where the frets and finering would appear the same

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
If you listen to the Randt Hansen tribute band you'll see Randy playing a left handed guitar right handed (as against Hendrix playing a right handed guitar with his left hand) - Randy's reasoning was that he would practise playing in a Hendrix fashion whilst looking in a mirrorat......where the frets and finering would appear the same
Interesting/OK. Dont look in the mirror much myself these days. As Terry Wogan said many years ago - You know when you are getting old when you go into the bathroom in the morning, look into the mirror and there is your father. ;)
Take it away Randy:

Last edited: