Lap belt guide query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all , does anyone have a picture of a chrome lap belt guide in situ on the inner sill. Are there captive nuts in the sill or do they just fix with self tappers ?πŸ‘TiA( 72 coupe with seperate lap and shoulder belts )

TimP

CCCUK Member
If I understand your question correctly ... the bracket that the chrome seat belt guide bolts on to is spot welded (x10 places if i remember correctly) at the factory to the birdcage sill. Because the seat belt wraps though the guide and the rear of the seat rail bolts through it in the far corner it's important that it is firmly affixed to the sill. I'm not sure that self tappers would be strong enough to be honest. Hope this picture helps.
Birdcage brace 121.JPG

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If I understand your question correctly ... the bracket that the chrome seat belt guide bolts on to is spot welded (x10 places if i remember correctly) at the factory to the birdcage sill. Because the seat belt wraps though the guide and the rear of the seat rail bolts through it in the far corner it's important that it is firmly affixed to the sill. I'm not sure that self tappers would be strong enough to be honest. Hope this picture helps.
View attachment 14785
Ah thanks Tim, remember you sent me a pr of guides, I was thinking they went on the vertical bit of the inner sill but I see from your pic that they mount on a horizontal plate , i guess that is under my carpet. Thanks for clarifyingπŸ‘

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
View attachment 14785
Curiosity forces me to ask - what are the golf tees used for in the workshop?

antijam

CCCUK Member
Its the only sort of β€œdriving” Tim will be doing for a while yet πŸ˜‚πŸ‘
Reminds me of the old joke......

A famous golfer is touring Ireland in a new C8 and pulls into a fuel station where the attendant, although unaware of who the golfer is, greets him with typical Irish hospitality: "Top o' the mornin' to ya."
As the golfer gets out of the car two tees fall out of his pocket. "So what are those things, laddie?" asks the attendant.
"They're called tees," replies the golfer.
"And what would ya be usin 'em for, now?" inquires the Irishman.
"Well, they're for resting my balls on when I drive," replies the golf pro.
"Aw, Jaysus, Mary an' Joseph!" exclaims the attendant. "Those fellas at Chevrolet t'ink of everything!

(Universal joke - change car brand to suit);)

TimP

CCCUK Member
Ah thanks Tim, remember you sent me a pr of guides, I was thinking they went on the vertical bit of the inner sill but I see from your pic that they mount on a horizontal plate , i guess that is under my carpet. Thanks for clarifyingπŸ‘
Hi Gary, yes indeed, I bought a pair of floor plates/brackets at the same time as the guides and the passenger side bracket is now fully welded in. if the plate under the seat is in good shape it should be straightforward to fit the guides. There are 2 captive nuts on the bracket so if you can find the holes in your carpet it should go on pretty easily. Good luck!

TimP

CCCUK Member
Curiosity forces me to ask - what are the golf tees used for in the workshop?
The photograph was taken when I was checking the fit of all the different pieces. As I replaced a fair bit of steel in the sill some of the holes for the rivets that fix the glass fibre sill cover to the sill were missing. I used the golf tees as pegs to locate the grp sill cover holes to the equivalent ones in the sill (the ones that were still there anyway). This allowed me then to mark the position and drill the holes that had disappeared with the new metal (see top pic below). The oddity is why I have so many tees as I don't play golf.:) They are really useful though - they are also good plugs for vacuum hoses (see lower pic) and fuel lines.
Birdcage brace 118.JPG
Column xx.JPG

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi Gary, yes indeed, I bought a pair of floor plates/brackets at the same time as the guides and the passenger side bracket is now fully welded in. if the plate under the seat is in good shape it should be straightforward to fit the guides. There are 2 captive nuts on the bracket so if you can find the holes in your carpet it should go on pretty easily. Good luck!
Thanks Tim, keep up with your fantastic work , its going to be an amazing day when she hits the road, you realise you will never be able to sell the 72 after the journey you have been on πŸ˜πŸ‘happy new year .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The photograph was taken when I was checking the fit of all the different pieces. As I replaced a fair bit of steel in the sill some of the holes for the rivets that fix the glass fibre sill cover to the sill were missing. I used the golf tees as pegs to locate the grp sill cover holes to the equivalent ones in the sill (the ones that were still there anyway). This allowed me then to mark the position and drill the holes that had disappeared with the new metal (see top pic below). The oddity is why I have so many tees as I don't play golf.:) They are really useful though - they are also good plugs for vacuum hoses (see lower pic) and fuel lines.
View attachment 14787
View attachment 14788
Obviously a universal garage /workshop accoutrement as the PO of my 72 in the usa said the same , to use a golf tee to plug the vacuum pipe when carb tuning. πŸ˜πŸ‘

TimP

CCCUK Member
Thanks Tim, keep up with your fantastic work , its going to be an amazing day when she hits the road, you realise you will never be able to sell the 72 after the journey you have been on πŸ˜πŸ‘happy new year .
Many thanks! I will be putting a big effort into getting the birdcage completed during the first couple of months of '22 so hopefully should get things really moving after that. Happy New Year to you too! Hope its a good one.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
View attachment 14785
Hi Tim, going back to your pic , you said the seat frame also bolts down through the chrome seat belt guide? In the assembly manual I couldnt quite see if it shows this or not. Is the guide under the side of the seat or just tight to the side of the seat ? Sorry to be thick πŸ€”

TimP

CCCUK Member
Hi Tim, going back to your pic , you said the seat frame also bolts down through the chrome seat belt guide? In the assembly manual I couldnt quite see if it shows this or not. Is the guide under the side of the seat or just tight to the side of the seat ? Sorry to be thick πŸ€”
Hi Gary, If you look at sheet F29 in the Corvette Assembly Manual you will see a picture of the how the seat and the seat belt guide and the sill extension relate to each other. The sill extension is the metal bracket that sticks out horizontally from the birdcage sill and has the two welded on nuts for the chrome seat belt guide. By the way this, sill extension is sandwiched between the fibre glass floor floor and the fibre glass sill cover (sheet H3). Just behind the rear seat belt guide hole and right in the corner of the sill extension is a hole where the rear seat attachment bolt goes through. Hope this helps with your question.

The two sill extensions on my car had completely corroded away so I don't know what fixes the rear seat attachment bolt down (the sill extension hole for the seat bolt isn't tapped so I'm assuming the bolt goes straight through). Perhaps you can help me on this question - how does that bolt stay fixed in place?

Birdcage brace 127.JPG

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi Gary, If you look at sheet F29 in the Corvette Assembly Manual you will see a picture of the how the seat and the seat belt guide and the sill extension relate to each other. The sill extension is the metal bracket that sticks out horizontally from the birdcage sill and has the two welded on nuts for the chrome seat belt guide. By the way this, sill extension is sandwiched between the fibre glass floor floor and the fibre glass sill cover (sheet H3). Just behind the rear seat belt guide hole and right in the corner of the sill extension is a hole where the rear seat attachment bolt goes through. Hope this helps with your question.

The two sill extensions on my car had completely corroded away so I don't know what fixes the rear seat attachment bolt down (the sill extension hole for the seat bolt isn't tapped so I'm assuming the bolt goes straight through). Perhaps you can help me on this question - how does that bolt stay fixed in place?

View attachment 14966
Thank you Tim. I can see the captive nuts for the guide from underneath. But thought i had read that the fixing bolt also fixed the seat frame. Will undo my seat frame bolt and let you know if it is nut and bolt or captive nutπŸ‘