LED stop/tail lights

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Has anyone fitted LED bulbs in the rear brake/tail lights? I bought some 21W/5W correct bayonet dual contact LED bulbs but the 'sidelight' wont work! Is it the LEDs do not draw enough current on tail, the bright brake seems to work OK. Testing the bulbs remotely they work both side and tail, and I have 12 v at the bulb holder when tested. I know LEDs will not work if they have positive ground (unlike a normal incandescent filament which doesn't mind which way the current flows). The bulbs are making contact with the 'lives' in the bulb holder (as witnessed by the scratch marks on the new bulb terminals). The bulbs and holders are as the top left in the diagram (BAY 15D)

s-l500.png.

Custom exotics

Well-known user
Are you sure the lives are on the correct pins on the holders brake lights could be earthing up side light circuit when lamps are off have uou tried brake lights with lights in on position? leds should work on the older vetts no issues no reason for them not to work because of them drawing less current that would only ever effect the flasher circuit do check holders to make sure terminals are not worn causing the side lamps not to contact

v8lee

CCCUK Member
Answer yes.... I have fitted leds to stop/brake lights (red leds), front indicator/cruise lights (Amber leds),
Front side indicators (Amber leds) Front curb lights ( bright white leds). Rear indicators (Amber then bright white for in reverse) Rear Red cruise lights ( Red leds). All work brilliantly with absolutely no modifications and totally reversible back to original bulbs. Very pleased with my top quality very well made British LEDS!! Now here comes a massive plug for Classic Car LEDs Ltd.

v8lee

CCCUK Member
Oh...and I also fitted an led to the festoon interior bulb...much brighter. Also did the footwell bulbs, but not too keen on them bring quite so bright...prefer a warm white...not bright white..might change them.

v8lee

CCCUK Member
stl_new_25f97f4f-3607-4083-b0b2-ffe263a43b5f_compact_cropped.jpg
BAY15D RED STOP / TAIL LED 1157 BRAKE REAR LIGHT GLB380 P21/5W - Negative Earth × 2

£16.66​

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
My 2 pence worth, Trying to increase the brightness of my bulbs, I've tried a couple of cheap sets off ebay ( think they all come out of China even
though listed as UK seller ) although listed as 21/5 watt bulbs there's not enough circuitry inside the bulb to make them operate correctly ( that's why they are cheap ), they do switch over from side light to brake light but there's not enough differential to notice, so don't waste your money.
The Phillips one's are supposed to be very good but very expensive, especially if running four brake lights and four side lights. The Sylvania bulbs are also supposed to be good, cheaper but only available in the states. So if V8lee has found some that work might be worth a punt ?

v8lee

CCCUK Member
The LEDS I purchase from Classic Car Leds are not the cheapest..but they DO work brilliantly and are very bright...you will not be disappointed! The business is owned and run by long term Classic owners that know the benefits these products bring. DONT waste your time and money on thise cheap one available on Ebay! Its well worth paying a bit more and getting a good quality product. If you need any advice i recommend chatting to Duncan....he really knows his stuff and is very informative.

hurtzcsa

CCCUK Member
I bought these about a month ago from Classic Car LEDs ,they are the ultra bright ones .have n`t had a chance to get to my lock up to see how bright they are

Attachments

• SAM_6654.JPG
    SAM_6654.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 5

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
Old type Corvette flasher units are thermal/mechanical units, new replacement one's are electrical/timed/relay
type..... If your lessening the load by installing LEDs, less resistance on the older flasher unit, less heat on thermal switching. I put LED rear indicator lamps on mine and after a few trips out, the flashing unit got slower and slower until it stopped leaving the lights constantly on , a new flasher unit fixed it. ?