Lets Talk about Oil...

Roscobbc

There are 'other' oils - and no doubt they will be very similar and have the optimum level of the essential ZZDP additive for our engines.......but availability generally may no be as good and realtity is that the Valvoline is competetively priced. Up to a few years I exclusively used Millers Classic 20w50. Millers published the ZZDP content. Then for quite a few months it wasn't available. When the oil re-appeared it had been re-named Pistonease with Millers excluding the specific ZZDP percentage content.....(much like some other suppliers). If they ain't gonna tell me - I ain't gonna buy it :rolleyes:

Roscobbc

Sounds ideal to me - correct spec' and, as a fully synthetic, a whole lot more modern.

Engines chew up the long chain molecules of mineral oils quite quickly and the oil loses its lubricating properties. The long chain molecules in synthetics are much tougher - hence manufacturers' confidence in 2 year/20,000 miles intervals for normal road cars.
Stingray.
Valvoline do VR1 Racing in both mineral and synthetic - both are advertised as having high 1400ppm zinc/1300 ppm phosferous content (I wasn't aware that the synthetic had ZDDP....and that high) - seems that we have the ideal solutions for both 'classic' and later model engines.
100% agree re. the extended life cycle of synthetic lubricants as compared with minerals.
For me the mineral suffices - I don't need the extended life cycle as I will change the oil annually - due potential contamination from petrol and condensation.
10w30 as compared with 20w50? I'll stick with the latter - irrespective of whether vehicle is started from low temperature or summer days I always turn the engine over until pressure shows on the gauge and always allow the engine to warm through thoroughly before considering giving it the beans.

Sea5

CCCUK regional rep
Down here on the South Coast, we have a club for classic car owners called Southern Classic Society (known as SCS). They keep stock of 'Classic Oils, Heritage 20W-50' and offer their members (& friends) 5L for £22. It contains c.1300PPM zinc as ZDDP and meets API SL/CH4 and ACEA A3,B3,B4,E2.
It's made by Classic Oils, 10A Bessemer Crescent, Aylesbury, Bucks, HP19 8TF web: www.classic-oils.net
I've been using it for over 5 years now in my modified 1981 C3 and get good oil pressure from tick-over to the speed limit. I also use it in my '61 Austin Seven mini!

Roscobbc

Down here on the South Coast, we have a club for classic car owners called Southern Classic Society (known as SCS). They keep stock of 'Classic Oils, Heritage 20W-50' and offer their members (& friends) 5L for £22. It contains c.1300PPM zinc as ZDDP and meets API SL/CH4 and ACEA A3,B3,B4,E2.
It's made by Classic Oils, 10A Bessemer Crescent, Aylesbury, Bucks, HP19 8TF web: www.classic-oils.net
I've been using it for over 5 years now in my modified 1981 C3 and get good oil pressure from tick-over to the speed limit. I also use it in my '61 Austin Seven mini!
Thanks for posting this - a very comprehensive stock of classic lubricants - I like the fact that they actually quote the ZDDP ppm figures for all products.........something that many don't.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I buy 2 x 5 Litre cans . That covers the full oil change and plenty left over for top ups and the next annual oil changes so I only need another 5 litre can for the following services . Works out cheaper that way .